Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi urges re-think from Marco Simoncelli MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi urges re-think from Marco Simoncelli

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi urges re-think from Marco Simoncelli

Valentino Rossi has urged close pal Marco Simoncelli to take time to analyse why he has having such a baptism of fire in MotoGP, Rossi has tipped his compatriot to emerge as a major future star in MotoGP.  But two huge crashes in winter testing at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia and a woeful lack of speed have left the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 March 2010 15:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

MX cont.

My point wasn't that most are no where near the level of say J Rea or C Walker competition wise. I also don't think Rossi does 60 foot heel clickers over table tops playing with his mates. The exception being Mr. Hodgeson who for whatever stupid reason was soaring over a big jump and smashed his shoulder? Richard1967 keeps going on about big jumps like these guys are doing their training on in arenas on supercross tracks is simply unfounded and Darren636 ??? The idea is that a crosser is moving around beneath you in an exaggerated way. It is about berm shots.......... braking hard locking the front wheel, pushing it into the turns, and washing it out, therefore keeping the feel for saving front end pushes. Sliding the rear and searching for greeeepa (as Rossi would say) on the exits. The dirt makes for serious physical exertion and the faster you go the harder it gets. Apart from NH the injuries don't come from the jumps. Much more boring and pathetic than that. Like a friend of mine (long time Euro competitor) who was just messing about with his son at a practice track. Got his leg down at low speed in a rut, it stuck, and just snapped! Broken leg season over? Lorenzo just fell over at low speed, crunch! Kevin Schwantz fell off a mountain bike at low speed and crunch, broken arm? Most MX injuries are low speed, low altitude, boring crashes but the damage gets done. The benefit far out weighs the risk..... these guys are top level racers..... therefore when you guys are beating them for world titles then you can tell them MX is a waste of time and too risky. Hell Capirossi rides horses.... that is insanely dangerous.... check the stats on that!!! Like Mr. Leemuz says if they get injured its unlucky, mainly for us viewers since they don't perform as well as we would like...... so from the fans point of view I guess I will bow to the opinion that a road racing star injured motocrossing can not only ruin the riders season but the also the fans and viewers who pay the bills.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

agree with willie

willie your absolutely right. I am not sure of the other guys training in the dirt but i know (well i read in his book) that rossi and company are not all about 60 ft heel clickers over table tops.  Rossi says he likes to put a street tire on the back and a trail or mx tire on front of his 650 enduro so that he can practice balance and throttle control not air time while he and his mates race around gravel pits. They throw a few jumps in there but not big air as that is noy the point of the exercise.  I believe the point of it all is controlling a slip- sliding bike in a safe environment(not the road and not with a ton of power-although having riddin 125 2 troke dirt bikes , i know a 650 is a beast to any but pros) to simulate a moto gp bike at the end of a race.  This is something rossi and his mates have done for years, and while simoncelli is welcome at these practice sessions rossi does not want him being a loose cannon( ie over-enthusiastic) going into the first corner at the season opener ala elias and killing his title defense( elias t-boned rossi at first race then stole 5 points off him at 2nd to last race of 06-in hindsight costing him the title).  I think that this is rossis way of telling his "friend" to make sure he knows his place.  They may share a pint but first year in moto gp is a year to stay out of the way of the big boys and not be a deciding factor in the championship for someone who is actually in the hunt.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Big Jumps

I never mentioned big jumps Willie and I certainly dont "keep" mentioning them. Your position should be tenable without misrepresenting others , thankyou

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

moto x or moto gp ?

Whatever he does he should ditch the "big 'air" and Vale should lose the mx/supermoto leg dangling, great tip from Valentino  regarding "he has to understand why he goes slow and crashes" that is the only problem I had ! I wish I had thought of that sooner,I bet all of the racing world will now be race winners eliminating that minor flaw !  Someone mentioned Chris Walker mx riding ,I have seen him training on one he is awsome ,but i have to say riding one close to the start of a moto gp or any championship season is risky and i cant imagine any team or sponsor being impressed with an injured rider for the first outing not even Lorenzo's,look at Hodgson he is still moaning about his injury from it himself over a year later !

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

in agreeance

all said and done yeah i agree mx is very dangerous, and agree totally with willie, if like lorenzo a rider gets injured with a field of only 17 and really only maybe 4-6 real contenders if one of them is ruled out it is a blow for the fans.

BUT look at last year-and this year...these riders in motogp that crash the big bikes  i.e pedrosa who came into last season injured after pre season offs and lorenzo again i believe had felt the tarmac in pre season.

So is it mx or just bikes that are dangerous, after all your as likely to bin a motogp bike in pre season as you are a mx bike...???..dunno open to opinion...??

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

re: move up to motogp

i was ead to believe there had been a rule change that ment nobody could move up from 250's straight into a works team...?/???? can anyone confirm this or has the perrson who told me got there wires crossed

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

true

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

move up..??

is it though cause even though i believed 100% it was true how did bautista get in suzuki team...?????????????????

Reply to this Topic
jimjamyaharr

Jul 09

jimjamyaharr says:

i belive it only applyed to honda yam and ducati

Reply to this Topic
Neverking

Jul 08

Neverking says:

Rookies and Factory Teams

The rule to stop rookies going straight to Factory teams is in place, however Suzuki are exempt from it as they have no Satellite Team, hence why Bautista could go straight to them.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle