Skip to content

Discuss This 100bhp limit threat General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 100bhp limit threat

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

100bhp limit threat

Motorcycles could be subjected to 100bhp power limits under proposals to be set out by the European Commission this summer.      The Commission is expected to propose European-wide consistency on the issue, raising the prospect that countries will have to change in line with France, where a 100bhp limit is already in place.    The Department for Transport (DfT) has asked UK motorcycle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 March 2010 17:11)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
thruxton05

Nov 08

thruxton05 says:

Good idea

I hope this limit will also apply to cars, vans, trucks and buses then. Good old europe.

Reply to this Topic
Nephilius

Jan 09

Nephilius says:

If the idea is to get around the problem where you can't sell a bike over 100bhp in France but you can in the UK, then just remove the ban in France rather than making us conform to their misguided rule. The French are doubtless whinging that their sales are dropping. Well tough shit, you can't have your cake and eat it, Gaston!

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Just Why?!

With this new rule it means that many people who want to embark upon a journey with their 100 bhp+ bike simply cant go in France because it's not legit there. I agree with Nephilius about banning that specific law in France as it has a lot of disandantages. As far as the ABS system is concerned i thing such an action will make those kind if bikes more accessible to the averege/ unexperienced rider and help him/her drive them in the edge and also prevent him/her from having an unpleasent accident. We need to understand that the raw power is hard to handle and the must take advantage of all the help we can get our hands on!

Reply to this Topic
panos15

Sep 08

panos15 says:

I have a problem with Sign In!

With this new rule it means that many people who want to embark upon a journey with their 100 bhp+ bike simply cant go in France because it's not legit there. I agree with Nephilius about banning that specific law in France as it has a lot of disandantages. As far as the ABS system is concerned i thing such an action will make those kind if bikes more accessible to the averege/ unexperienced rider and help him/her drive them in the edge and also prevent him/her from having an unpleasent accident. We need to understand that the raw power is hard to handle and the must take advantage of all the help we can get our hands on!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

100bhp limit

Is Martin Bangemann still alive then??

If they want "harmonisation", are we going to now allow 14 year olds to ride mopeds????

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Two words

Join MAG

www.mag-uk.org/

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Another genius idea

Of course a link can't be made between engine power and safety. It's not how much power you've got, but what you do with it!! You could have someone riding a a bike restricted to 33bhp or a 125cc with 15bhp and, if ridden like a plank, you can still do yourself some serious damage.  It's the same with cars, surely there are more crashes involving lunatics driving 70bhp Novas than sensible people driving 300bhp BMW M3's?

Even if outright power was the issue, 100bhp is still a very quick bike on the road. So if they want to slow things down, they're gonna have to restrict us all to 33bhp. Oh no, still too quick, how about 5bhp?!?

Does that mean there'll be no more 500bhp super cars then?

Reply to this Topic
crappyname

Feb 09

crappyname says:

Get out of the EU or star doing something about it!

WE ARE NOT SERVANTS! WE PAY THESE F_WITS WAGES - dont go there! THEY DO WHAT WE WANT and they send our reprensentaive as society........WHAT A LOAD OF BS! It wont happen as these sort of storeys come up every year and MCN propergates them. Whats next? A european directive saying there will be a speed camera on every road? So, seriously, are you now telling me that you cant legally ride through france on a gixer thou (hey or even any 600)?? Bullshit!

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

I think you need to adopted the 77 kW limit, drop the pound and except the euro and let someone in europe do the thinking for you England.

Reply to this Topic
jbond

Aug 02

jbond says:

Lowest common denominator

This highlights one of the problems with the EU. It tends to force all countries to end up imposing the rules Eu-wide from the country with the most restrictive, most controlling policies. So the 100hp France limit gets pushed. As does the German TUV rules. And it's not just in Motorcycling but in plenty of other areas as well.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices