Skip to content

Discuss This Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed

This exclusive video shot by MCN shows the true scale of the work to repair the ill-fated building work facing the circuit owners before they can bring back any kind of racing to the track.  MCN was able to complete a lap in a car with a video camera to show just how much destruction has been wreaked before the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 March 2010 16:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
foggie996

Jan 04

foggie996 says:

simoncbr900rr

Agreed the services, entry and exits were poor but the track was sublime. Many trackdays riding around Donington were amazing. The track itself was brilliant so stop being a wanker and associating crappy services to when it is the great track itself that is ruined.

Reply to this Topic
Pothole1965

Mar 10

Pothole1965 says:

@ Andy

It's renewal. This is like a drop the dead donkey sequence...all it was missing was 'a child's toy...' It'll be back.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

The infield section has obviously been dug up but the track itself is still fairly intact. It wouldn't take a large amount of money to repair the track and smooth out some of the run off areas. Would be fine for track days but the loss of premier events will limit investors willingness to put money in to the site to repair it let alone improve it.

Reply to this Topic
Lord Larry

Jul 07

Lord Larry says:

Shameful Vandalism

This is shameful vandalism of what was a great track. Donington was always lacking in terms of adequate access, toilets and other facilities and it was obvious when the idea was first muted that it might become a venue for Formula 1 that such an idea was a non-starter.

If Bernie Ecclestone was dissatisfied with facilities at  Silverstone, which were infinitely better than at Donington, and if the pre-existing layout of the Donington track was not suited to for Formula 1, it was obvious that Donington would fail to compete with Silverstone, as has since been proven.

The alterations needed for Silverstone to become a superb MotoGP venue have been relatively easy to implement and now Silverstone will host Formula 1, MotoGP, WSB and BSB. They have achieved a clean sweep.

Donington has now lost everything and will now need major works to restore it to its former condition, let alone bring it up to a level whereby it could compete with Silverstone in an effort to win back some of the big events. Donington was a great bike circuit and all it needed was for the ancilliary services etc to be upgraded. It should never have tried to compete for the Formula 1 contract and it was wrong for Bernie Ecclestone to give them false hope in that respect.

I just hope that someone new manages to gain control of Donington and manages to restore the circuit to at least something like its former condition. It would be a tragic loss otherwise.

Reply to this Topic
deafdave

Oct 09

deafdave says:

waste!

what at bloody messy and runin our favor track!! that sure and bloody waste time:@ and why leave some random pot-hole somewhere??? owner of donny should have though about before dig out the track :/ what an idiot..

Reply to this Topic
DJCALVERT

Feb 09

DJCALVERT says:

what the hell has happened to britain's best circuit, facilities were shit we know, but terrorists couldn't have made a bigger mess of the track. it is a travesty and outrage to see Donnington in such a dishevelled state. I hope some one can turns things around, but looking at it not in the near future.

Reply to this Topic
Hondasixrr

Dec 05

Hondasixrr says:

Ron Haslem race school

Picture on the left is me at Donington. Ron Haslem's race school.
According to his web site the 2010 dates have yet to be finalised due to the delayed confirmation of racing calendars. Dates will be published next week by 12th March.
Is Ron Haslem's race school at another circuit this year because it don't look like there will be any racing this year at Donington. Bloody shame...

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

whilst not justifying what has happened to Donny, it may have fallen victim to circumstances and poor timing on a biblical scale.  to embark on a project as huge as the proposed F1 rebuild could never have been started without having a long contract to host F1, unless you are lucky enough to have over £120 million in spare cash.  the 17 year contract had to be in place before the rebuild started to give DVLL enough time to recoup their invesment.  the mistake was to have started the job just as the worst recession in a generation started and a have hopelessly optimistic timeframe to sort everything - had gillet started in say, 2006, he may have pulled it off.

it's the same reason that Silverstone wanted the same 17 year F1 contract from BE before they committed to the new £30 million pits and paddock complex.  they've also spent £5 million to upgrade the circuit for MotoGP on the back of their 5 year contract with Dorna ... so money really does make the world go around.

i can see MotoGP being at Silverstone for at least 10 years as there simply won't be a realistic alternative in the UK in that time ... hopefully Donny can embark on a more sustainable and progressive future that Brands and the other MSV circuits have enjoyed over the last six years so that it can compete for the major events again.  fingers crossed.

Reply to this Topic
milleles

Sep 05

milleles says:

demise of donington

Serve themselves right. Charging the best part of 50 quid for facilities that were at their best 30 years ago, limited granstand seating,again overpriced, not enough jumbo screens provided,ridiculously priced shite food.The whole thing was setup to fleece as much money out of the public for the least amount of input from the organisers.I'm afraid it was an event living on it's past glories and frankly not good enough in the 21st century.

Reply to this Topic
davewavey1

Feb 09

davewavey1 says:

Donington park

i have watched the video and to be honest i felt very sad seeing what has happened to donny

i've been going there for many years,have got sunburnt there and soaked to the skin, it was my first ever big rideout on my 125 (27 years ago) have sat waiting to get out of the car park for hours, paid stupid amounts for drinks £2 for a bottle of water from eastern europe and it was warm, and food and things ,have never in my life seen queues so long just to use a toilet,(the size of a small shed -that had never ever been cleaned) have seen the BEST motorcycle racers on the planet and met some of them aswell,and after three days at the 2009 gp vowed i would never set foot in this place again.

lets hope the new people learn something !!

please

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices