Skip to content

Discuss This Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Video: True state of Donington Park track revealed

This exclusive video shot by MCN shows the true scale of the work to repair the ill-fated building work facing the circuit owners before they can bring back any kind of racing to the track.  MCN was able to complete a lap in a car with a video camera to show just how much destruction has been wreaked before the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 March 2010 16:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pgmaestas

Oct 02

pgmaestas says:

Donington Park Circuit

Very Very SAD!!! :(

Reply to this Topic
youngbull1980

Oct 06

Very Sad :(

Reply to this Topic
Jason Hall

Aug 02

Jason Hall says:

Donington Park

It's very sad that it has got to this state.

The first time I can ever remember going was when Mike Hailwood binned the Ducati at Coppice right in front of us. I seem to be a bit of a magnet for that - as I also saw Luchinelli highside at Redgate at the end of 1981 and Spencer do the same on the underslung tank NSR V4 at the start of 1984.

I also saw Spencer lead for a lap or two in 1987 and was there the year that Mackenzie led on the Marlboro Yamaha. We went mental.

We went mental at Redgate the year that Kocinski's hastily concocted big bang firing order Yamaha dumped fuel as it blew up. Schwantz took to the flags to warn the other riders, but not before Doug Chandler and Foggy had also slid off. Mike Scott referred to us a "howling mob" in Motocourse that year.

The most amazing thing I ever saw was in a 1300cc open class race in the early 1980s. There was everything out from TZ350s, RG and TZ500s, TZ750s and large proddy bikes such as the Honda CB1100R and Suzuki Katanas. Going down Craner a Katana grounded out and threw the rider off in a partial highsider. The bike righted itself and carried on on its own down the hill at well over 100mph, missed the left hander then and went over the grass towards the exit of the old hairpin at 90 degrees to the track. A group of riders looked like they were going to T-bone the bike - but it went past the front of them - they all sat up - it gave them a real fright. The bike then veered gently to the left and at the last moment flopped onto the right handlbar at walking pace leaned up against the concrete wall in front of the spectators facing the wrong way - totally undamaged and still on its wheels. All the marshalls had to do was stick a bale or two in front of it. The rider had to watch the entire race and then walk about a quarter of a mile to get his bike back having "crashed" it at about 110mph. He rode it back to the pits.

My 18 month old (now) daughter attended her first ever world level event there last year for the Superbikes. She was in the pink travel cot that amused so many who walked by us up near - yes you guessed - Redgate. That was a fantastic day of racing - with a big screen opposite us as well and great weather - a good way to remember Donington if we never see racing there again.

I've only ever done just one trackday at Donington and have never raced there. Donington would always be there - or so I thought.

It's a mess but it is far from irretrievable.

Virgin raceway I say - with red tarmac!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

I can only watch and feel nothing but contempt,the people who owned it took the easy way out and leased to a.n.other,so in the end no ones cares,the place needs to be sold and who ever buys it, runs the place,ask Palmer,see mention of finding another lease holder,what they mean,'Looking for another mug' anyone but me guv

The people who own it don't care,if they had of done they'd have run it themselves,so i don't either.

Reply to this Topic
bigdanvfr

Mar 10

bigdanvfr says:

criminal..... asbolutley criminal.

they've ripped the soul out of it.

grew up in Buron on trent, not far from Donnignton my grand parents used to make to donnington to watch

v v sad

:(

Reply to this Topic
Kneedownfox

Mar 09

Kneedownfox says:

Look on the bright side...

We all know and love Donnington Park and it holds a place in our heart....... BUT Donnington needs to move into the 21st Centuary and to survive it HAS to cater for all motorsport. Judge it when it opens fully and not when it's a mud hole. We all know how bad the facilities and camp site compaired to other European race tracks.

Be possitive and hope we can have new and just as impressive racing at Donnington in future!??

:-/

Reply to this Topic
acesrichie

Mar 08

acesrichie says:

sold out

Why the fook am I on mcn website watchin a freakin Land Rover advert!!! This rag takes the piss. That freeklander will be winnin group tests next year knowin this lot....

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Got What it Deserved

lets hope the rest of this shit hole gets dug up and disposed of so we never have to suffer the appaling treatment they used to dish out to the paying public.

this place must never be allowed to open or at best never be allowed to run any form of motorsport ever again,the country is a better place without it,unless of course Palmer buys it

Reply to this Topic
madasabishop

Mar 10

madasabishop says:

shame

i hope Donnington can be put back to being the exciting venue it was before this stupid  f1 idea took hold.People always whinge about facilities there but i is not any different at Assen or Misano if you have all the world and his dog there watching a Gp.Donnington was good because of the elevation changes , pick a goo spot and you could see half the track.Silverstone is a poor viewing track i went a F1 gp there once i was so boring just saw a car for a second then wait 2 minutes to see anything again,i have heard the have improved it i hope so.so sorry about Donnington and what about Ron Haslam track school what happen there.   

Reply to this Topic
darren997

Aug 02

darren997 says:

A New British Moto X track??!!??!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool