Skip to content

Discuss This WSB paddock still waiting on Aprilia engine verdict World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > WSB paddock still waiting on Aprilia engine verdict

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

WSB paddock still waiting on Aprilia engine verdict

The SBK commission is expected to make a statement on the technical regulations regarding Aprilia’s new RSV4 gear driven cam motor before the second round of the championship at Portimao on 26th to 28th March.  The factory Aprilia team introduced the new technology and are believed to have used it during the Phillip Island weekend, but not necessarily the race....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 March 2010 16:42)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Commando828

Feb 09

Commando828 says:

TY Wos, Gear friction

Sound speculation from wos earlier; yes why are the other (many) manufacturers quiet?!

I also understand gears absorb more energy and are more robust.

Flammini appears to have a more professional approach and more importantly closer racing with some! connection to a street bike.

Reply to this Topic
foggie996

Jan 04

foggie996 says:

SP1 & SP2

Honda's SP1 & SP2 both had cams driven by gears - as did the production bikes. Made a lovely high-pitched whine that sounded great with the intake roar and a pair of race cans.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Gear Driven

Foggie996 Hondas Sp1 and Sp2 were sold with gear driven cams , which the Aprilia isnt thats what all the fuss is about

Reply to this Topic
sniper100

May 04

sniper100 says:

Cheating?

Anyone know the outcome? If they are not homologated then the bikes should be banned from racing till they are reverted back to chain driven cams and the points removed from the Aprilia team. Thats my opinion anyway.

Reply to this Topic
imorlin

Mar 07

imorlin says:

What are we watching?

Production based racing... If I can't buy it, they shouldn't race it!    Aprilia should spend their time finnishing the RSV4 Tuono in my oppinion... 1.fairing off      2. raisers and straight bars on  3. we'll sort the rest.... we don't want it messed with. If we wanted something sane we'd go jap..  

Reply to this Topic
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

Why can't I have one?

Gears give very precise valve timing.  It results in all the advantages listed in this thread plus one more: Better control of emissions/pollution.  Chains are cheaper to produce than gears.  So for decades we've suffered with inferior cam drives.  Note that when Honda saved production costs by eliminating the gear drive from the VFR 800 they had to also introduce the subterfuge of the v-teck whatever.  Regardless, the VFR with the chains makes less power on the dyno than the old gear driven engine.  As engines get more sophisticated, and the demands placed on production vehicles become more stringent I can only hope that more manufacturers like Aprilia will realize that gear driven cams are the way forward.  Think or how much better your current bike would be if the valve train was accurate within one degree rather than within four degrees of where the engineers wanted it to be. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle