Skip to content

Discuss This Wootton Bassett Afghan Heroes ride is stunning success General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Wootton Bassett Afghan Heroes ride is stunning success

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Wootton Bassett Afghan Heroes ride is stunning success

More than 15,000 motorcyclists turned out yesterday to show their support for the people of Wootton Bassett and honour those troops killed in Afghanistan. The 10,000 riders and 5000 pillions raised over £150,000 for the Afghan Heroes charity in the process. Wootton Bassett Mayor Steve Bucknell said: "The vast majority of the people of the town fully support what the bikers...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 March 2010 09:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RoadKill127mcc

Mar 10

An amazing day , we came down from Basildon in Essex from the 127diner with a 6am start , we had a couple of hours on the runway chatting to various claubs (includeing bikerfm) and handed in the £125 collection from the 127diner to one of the organisers who had sadly lost hes son in afghanistan .

The welcome community as we went through wotten Bassett itself was amazing and you had to be proud to be there , thousends and thousends of people lined the streets waving , clapping , high fiving us and waving flags around , ive never seen so many unioun jack flags in my life , these were everything from ankle bikters to pensioners

A day ill never forget , thanks again wootten Bassett

Reply to this Topic
RoadKill127mcc

Mar 10

as far as the comment goes by chris , thats just an insult to everyone involved here with the ride and to the familys who have lost relatives , the turn out for support on the run was amazing 

i dont think any apology will counter hes earlier comments

Reply to this Topic
deaks25

Apr 09

deaks25 says:

Just like to say congratulations on such a success to everyone who did go, the day seemed to go so smoothly, and to the police and other emergency services and especially to Wootton Bassett for letting us all do such an amazing thing. Chris Hughes has since posted an apology for the things he said but I was still outraged beyond words by what he wrote and the fact it was published on the website to start with.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Is it any wonder the Mirror's circulation has been in terminal decline for years now? The event had an excellent press everywhere else.

Reply to this Topic
smilerquin

Mar 10

smilerquin says:

Mr Chris Hughes

Please allow me to point you along the right path Mr Hughs.I was honoured to serve my Queen and Country as a soldier for thirty three years of my life.Along the way I lost many good friends and colleagues to enemy action.Not just in Afghan but in many other theatres.I have also been a motorcyclist / biker for the last fifty years.I own three bikes,two nortons and a 1500cc kawasaki it was this bike that I chose to ride from  Aldershot to Wooton Bassett on Sunday for Afghan Heroes,not only to pay my respects to the Boys and Girls we have lost but to stand side by side to support thier Mums on Mothers Day,and to thank the people of Wooten Basset and the surrounding areas for continuing to pay their respects on our behalf when called to do so.It was a great honour to make that ride as an old age pensioner and to be accepted by my brothers and sisters for what I am a biker.As for you Mr. Hughes I doubt very much if you have ever had a uniform on your back let alone served Queen and Country.I am also sure by your attitude that you have never sat astride a decent motorcycle and understand absolutley nothing about them and the pleasure they can bring.I just hope that the Mothers of the Fallen can forgive you for your comments. Hang your head in shame Mr.Hughes,hang your head in shame!

Reply to this Topic
smilerquin

Mar 10

smilerquin says:

Mr Chris Hughes

Please allow me to point you along the right path Mr Hughs.I was honoured to serve my Queen and Country as a soldier for thirty three years of my life.Along the way I lost many good friends and colleagues to enemy action.Not just in Afghan but in many other theatres.I have also been a motorcyclist / biker for the last fifty years.I own three bikes,two nortons and a 1500cc kawasaki it was this bike that I chose to ride from  Aldershot to Wooton Bassett on Sunday for Afghan Heroes,not only to pay my respects to the Boys and Girls we have lost but to stand side by side to support thier Mums on Mothers Day,and to thank the people of Wooten Basset and the surrounding areas for continuing to pay their respects on our behalf when called to do so.It was a great honour to make that ride as an old age pensioner and to be accepted by my brothers and sisters for what I am a biker.As for you Mr. Hughes I doubt very much if you have ever had a uniform on your back let alone served Queen and Country.I am also sure by your attitude that you have never sat astride a decent motorcycle and understand absolutley nothing about them and the pleasure they can bring.I just hope that the Mothers of the Fallen can forgive you for your comments. Hang your head in shame Mr.Hughes,hang your head in shame!

Reply to this Topic
smilerquin

Mar 10

smilerquin says:

Mr Chris Hughes

Reply to this Topic
RoadKill127mcc

Mar 10

pls join the facebook group

CHRIS HUGHES should be sacked ,, insulting bikers / scooteristss

Reply to this Topic
antimagneto

Jun 09

antimagneto says:

We have the power to respond - don't buy the Daily Mirror any more....

Reply to this Topic
seanogorman1

Aug 06

seanogorman1 says:

Dont buy it...

i dont buy it anyway, its a load of old twoddle....

i buy the sun!!!! :O)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices