Skip to content

Ask an Expert Advice needed for USA 3 week tour. Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Advice needed for USA 3 week tour.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sillyface

Mar 09

sillyface says:

Advice needed for USA 3 week tour.

Hi all :smile

Planning a 3 week trip for Sept/Oct next year but I'm daunted to the amount of routes and hire companies there are in the US.

I would be very gratful if anyone has experience of touring over our beautiful former colony :wink:.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (16 March 2010 15:59)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Robertbgearhead

Jan 10

US 3 week tour

The US is a big place where do you plan on going? Southern California always has the best riding weather.

Reply to this Topic
sillyface

Mar 09

sillyface says:

US 3 week tour

Yeah our first thought was the Orange State but we're wondering if there are any other options as we want to nip off the tourist trail and go through real America. You've seen Deliverence? :lol:

We also want to make sure we're hiring from a reputable company where there's muliple drop off points.

Any ideas?

Reply to this Topic
Robertbgearhead

Jan 10

US 3 week tour

Dont know of any companys that offer that sevice sorry. I would try to contact a group of riders who live where you want to travel. They will be able to give you the best advice on riding destinations, bike rentals, places to stay.    

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

cruise america/canada

check them out.  i hired a bike in Vancouver and rode 30,000 across the midwest down the centre and 101 etc

Reply to this Topic
bsogri

Jan 10

bsogri says:

usa touring

ROCKIES WORTH A RIDE THROUGH AND 3 WEEKS IS JUST ABOUT ENOUGH TIME

RIDE MOTORCYCLE TOURS 2010

UK
Lake District
NW200 Ireland
Scottish Highlands and West Coast,
EUROPE
Spa Classic,Eifel,Nurburgring,Mosel,Black Forest,
5 Countries,Proper Ride,Belgium,Germany,Switzerland,
Austria, Italy,Grimsel,Furka,Susten,Gottard,Stelvio,
Croatia,Slovenia, Austria,
French Alps,Lakes,Gorges,
Pyrenees,Spain France,
Moto-Piston, Picos De Europa,Spain.

www.ridemotorcycletours.com

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mcitours

Apr 10

mcitours says:

Ride USA

September/October is a good time to go. Avoids extreme weather. Be careful of USA hire companies - like most Americans they are very good at selling you something but the fulfilment is often not what you expected and usually more expensive than you thought. With no redress if it all goes wrong. Why not ride Route 66? Eleven states in just over two weeks with an option to extend to ride PCH in California. If you like 50s nostalgia it's an amazing road trip.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
neilybabe

Mar 05

neilybabe says:

Touring USA

I've never done it with a bike, but have twice in a car. Started from LA over to Pheonix Arizona Along the  Apache trail up to Sedona, Grand Canyon, into Utah and Brice Canyon (better than the Grand), Monument Valley where the westerns were made, over into Nevada ans Vegas then back into California through Yosemite Park and on to San Francisco then down the Pacific Highway through Monteray and Cartmel back to LA. Best two holidays I ever had,would go again and again but the wife won't fly anymore.:smile

Reply to this Topic
TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

I found hire outlets scarce and pretty limited in what they offer – big beemers & Harleys mostly, which is fine if you like that, of course... but also consider 3 weeks hire will cost some. I opted to buy out there & sell on return... that was the plan, but after three consecutive tours the bike's still out there, and we're probably returning again this year.

Registering the bike may be an issue, and you'll need to consider your insurance options [Horizons Unlimited is a good site for ins. links & indepth advice].

You can do alot in 3 weeks. I started in Florida and did about 35 States [including Canada], keeping a mind to squeeze in as many National Parks & sites of historic interest as possible... has to be one of the rides of a lifetime... you're going to love it... force yrself to take as many pictures as you can - you wont regret it. Enjoy!

Reply to this Topic
oceanvibe

Feb 09

oceanvibe says:

Big Sur

Rented a bike in SF last year from Wild West M/C Rentals. Really chilled out folk and cheapest place around. Got a V-Storm with full Givi. Went down PCH whicch is a must and then inland off the main stops. Planning Yosemiti next year with the same rental crowd. Although they only have one shop so no multi drop points. Eagle riders have shops all over the States but are up at the top end of cost

Reply to this Topic
chmer20

Oct 09

chmer20 says:

Routes

Watch out for the North East (New York, New England, etc) as there are some good roads, but most make English roads look like a freshly paved track. I'm from New England and the major concern would be attitude of the drivers is deplorable for the most part and very scary (think Rome from what a friend says). I found just as good and better paved roads in mid atlantic region with better drivers and friendlier people.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices