You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > oil is milky/foamy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ninjabarney

Mar 10

ninjabarney says:

oil is milky/foamy

hi all , wondering if someone can help me with a problem i have with my zx6r g1 model,   i see on the oil level sight glass that oil has turned milky/foamy and is also gathering on the oil filler cap,  is it possible for coolant to leak in via the waterpump or is it more series,  any replys welcome  thanks......

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 March 2010 11:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

ninja

I was suffering from the same thing with my 7r but luckily it was becoz the bikes been parked up and started at random (condensation build up)

Drained the old shit out and flushed with some cheap oil from halfords then renewed filter and filled back up with the good stuff

But to answer your question worse case scenario is cylinder head issues

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Yep,

Like kawathrasher said, people often start to panic over this symptom but quite often it's just condensation. Has the bike only been used for short blasts (less than 20 mins) through the winter? If so there's a high chance that's all it is, give it a good length ride and see if it's better or worse. If it's got worse after a lengthy ride then you could have real problems.

Reply to this Topic
ninjabarney

Mar 10

ninjabarney says:

cheers lads for your replys

ye bike was parked up all winter and started from time to time,  but i changed oil and filter 2 week ago before i took her out and have only noticed this problem de other day, going to change it again then see what she is like then......thanks again for your help and fingers crossed it will be ok..

Reply to this Topic
kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

ninja

Just as a thought has the bike used any coolant ? i would check that before goin for a thrash coz you could feck the engine if it is a more serious issue i.e the oil could be waterd down and not doin it's job

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

Check your levels and then take it for a good long run, 45 - 60 minutes minimum, let it idle until the fan cuts in then ride it home and let it settle then check again.
Most likely as said it'll be condensation which leaves a white foamy gunky skim on top of the oil window and filler.
A good long run and getting the engine hot will evaporate the condensation.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices