Skip to content

Discuss This Help fix the bike test General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Help fix the bike test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Help fix the bike test

MCN readers can help halt a dramatic decline in people taking the bike test by backing our plans for shaking-up the exam. Test bookings were down 62% in the eight months following the introduction of a new bike test last April. Rider groups warn motorcycling will “shrink” unless the trend is reversed. Now MPs are backing a move to have...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (19 March 2010 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

new test

i did the old bike test 2yrs ago. and found it better to learn on the road and not in a big car park

Reply to this Topic
ZMC888

Nov 09

ZMC888 says:

Testing is infirior to experience

IMO as someone who has done the test in Australia, so has no clue about the current or previous British testing system, testing just can't compete with experience. How often do you hear about born again bikers or inexperienced bikers that have accients? The safest way is to build up gradually to more powerful bikes, not really over time but over experince of distance travelled and according to training.

Surely the best way forward, although maybe complex is to limit the power of motorcycles for new riders as the restriction is now for those who do not do direct access, but to extend this further to different power ratings.

Something like up to 12KW for the 1st 10,000 miles if under 18, if over 18 20KW (or first 18 months). Up to 30KW until 20,000 miles (or 3 years) , then a full license at 50,000 miles (or total of five years riding). But also make advanced instruction including track instruction valid to speed up the process of getting to a full license.

The idea being to take testing and an examination system out, but to put skills, training and experience at the highest level, all supporting the motorcycle market, instruction and race track industries not to mention less injured riders.

Having a full motorcycle license in Europe or the UK should be a prevelige that is earnt by having the skills that match the machine.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

restrictions

if the new test is like the old one if you do the restricted test on a 125cc bike you will be restricted at 33bhp for 2 yrs then you get the full powered bike.

Reply to this Topic
desmophil

Mar 10

desmophil says:

I understand that in light of some of those accidents there is some heat surrounding this new test.

However I passed my test 16 years ago in France and this was the standard then over there and still is I believe.

Test was made of Standard Theory (Multiple choice responses),

Then parking exercise including Further practical questions from the examiner, moving the bike at standstill and putting it on the central stand, slow slalom with a pillion and fast slalom including a U turn, the swearving and the emergency braking.

Then the road test involving town, roads, motorway, etc.

Yes it was difficult and yes most of us were worried about the slalom and swearving but it did teach some of the fundamentals of counter steering, etc. Bike test cannot be like a car test were you just go about in town, you have to learn the controls of the bike which is harder than a car.

Couldn't comment if the test is exactely right but I think that bike training should be harder than car. I think that some of the techniques toughts at the police organised trainings, Advanced motorcyclist and California Superbike schools should make it to the standard training.

p

Reply to this Topic
psbresner

May 09

psbresner says:

Do you think the government will actually listen to us at all?  I have yet to put in for my test, I just don't feel confident enough to try it.  And with the end of my CBT fast approaching its putting even more pressure on me.

Along similar lines this is very interesting too..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8582141.stm

Reply to this Topic
cardiffmc

Mar 10

cardiffmc says:

listen up numb nuts

Dear Ed,

I laughed out loud at you comment from the March 17th edition of MCN, No more new-test moaning,
where you point out that it would be scandalous if MCN hadn't reported the accidents during the mod1 test. see page 10

What I would like to ask you is why didn't you point out the dangers of the old practical test, off the top of my head I can think of a young lady who was killed a few years ago, I can even think of one of my students that met a lorry on test and suffered a compound fracture of his right forearm. Losing most of the nerves and feeling for good, the numerous people that fell of on road during the E-stop or U-turn and all the other mishaps, do you think what we do has no risk?. where were you eighteen months ago when a local school was on a CBT road ride and his student was killed, you should get a petition and ban it as its a danger to motorcyclist's.
If you think you are helping by pointing out the dangers of the new test then you are sadly mistaken, we are riding two wheels with an engine it is inherently dangerous what ever we do, Mod 1 is a dam site safer than the old way, trust me I have been doing this for twenty years and I have seen the benefits on road.
It works and is easy to teach, the only people who I have a problem with are the ones who believe the hype, they are psyched out before they even start, let alone all the people who don't call in because they cant be arsed because MCN all the other press and of course all the people out there who believe the hype and tell them its dangerous and some one is going to get killed. I seem to remember an editor of MCN riding into the back of a lorry on a fireblade he was killed, hell dare I say if he had done “The Swerve” he might have got away with it. Harsh comments yes but I feel like I am banging my head against a wall when I read the British bike press.

Every one has an opinion about this, but the only people that count are the ones on the front line.
Single handed MCN and the UK bike press are doing what Government's and the EU couldn't they are killing the bike industry.
You say you want to help us, then stop moaning, Mod1 is here there is no amount of moaning or getting MP's to sign a motion will change that all you are doing is laying waste to the industry.

Why don't you follow a novice from birth to biker get them to tell you the full story and make sure they don't cut corners yes it cost's a lot to train but its worth it. (sorry if you have done this already, I don't pick up MCN a lot as it makes my head hurt.)

Yours in anticipation

Cardiffmc

Reply to this Topic
rider1000

Mar 10

rider1000 says:

People not getting MPs to sign

Still only 40 MPs have signed, either they are just refusing or more likely not enough people have written in to them to make them believe that this is an issue. Keep going we need to make a stand!

Reply to this Topic
cardiffmc

Mar 10

cardiffmc says:

Why.

What are we making a stand about rider1000?

What do you know that I don't know or are you so simple as to believe that you will change what is already written in stone, if you want to help, petition for more tests centers and most importantly stand up to the MCN bully's who seem to know better than the training industry.

Reply to this Topic
cardiffmc

Mar 10

cardiffmc says:

listen up son shine.

62% Hmm, of course you have taken into account the bow wave of students who rushed through at the beginning of last year... also the economic climate........... Oh and how about the worst winter in thirty years and the and lets not forget the icing on the cake.............. MCN and its rabid anti Mod1 stance that has people quacking in there boots and refusing to train.

If you really want to help us then stop the moaning and read my post's and emails to you.

Reply to this Topic
DarkwingDuck

Mar 10

DarkwingDuck says:

How to report no response?

I've had no response at all from my MP - no surprise.....he's Parmjit Dhanda - Gloucester MP..  I've emailed him twice and my partner has sent separate emails as she also rides.  Nowt to either of us, but nowhere on your site to name and shame him!  Please feel free to do so.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices