You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Yet again... Aprilia RS125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Yet again... Aprilia RS125

Decided at the bike was running so well to take a good trip from where I live (Gillingham) too Sheerness (Isle of Sheppy).

Which is quite a good ride and the island itself is full of motorcyclists. Maybe some from this forum?

Anyhow after a good long ride around the Island I decided to head back, and what a surprise, I broke down... (Yesterday, only just recovered bike today).

Was about to join the a round about before the bride back too the A2 and as I started pulling away in 1st the bike stopped, forks down down and I thought I was about to go over the handle bars.

Struggled too move the bike from the roundabout holding the clutch lever in so I could push it too safety.

It made the most horrid sound, thought the engine has dropped out the frame for a split second.

As I was pushing the bike it was making a grounding noise and stopping every so often as I was pushing it, making it a ton harder than usual.

Got back on the bike and tried pulling away again, and it did nothing...

Personally I think the gear box has gone completely, anyone one had a problem like this before? Or know what exactly has happend?

Any suggestions would make my day considering the luck I have had with the thing.

thanks,
Michael

(P.S. No suggestions such as e.g. "Buy a four-stroke/better bike" If possible) :winkie:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 March 2010 17:08)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
triumphrider600

Feb 09

sounds like

the gearbox to me. Have a quick check though behind the front sprocket cover to see what's happening in there. It might just be that the front sprocket has failed.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to this Topic
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Ah

I wish I was mechanical minded right now. What if it is the front sprocket? Would it just need replacing?

When I last changed my gearbox oil (Month or two ago), their was a silver lining in the old oil which I bleed out. My friend said it was were the sprockets have worn.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

if there was

traces of metal in the gearbox oil that doesn't sound good.

If it is just the chain and sprockets then they would just need replacements. However with this extra info I would say your up for a few evenings in the garage stripping the engine. 1st thing to do would be to drain the oil again. If there has been a catastrophic failure as you have described then there will probably be bits of metal form the gears in there. If there is then it may be easier to look for a good used engine complete, as you will need to be fairly competent with spanners etc to rebuild the engine.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to this Topic
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Oh great...

So I can't just reply/repair gear box? The engine is running completely, idles and revs, just no go due to gear box...

One issue before hand was when I pulled up, once stopped it won't go into neutral. I have to leave it in first gear until I go again. As long as I was going it would change gear perfectly just not when I stop.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

Then

that points to a U/S gearbox. Yes you can replace the gearbox shafts etc, if there is no internal damage to the cases. It was just when you said you were not mechanically minded I thought it would be easier to swap the whole unit. A gearbox strip is not the easiest of things to attempt. But with a good workshop manual and plenty of tea and patience you should be able to work through it ok.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to this Topic
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

haha

I intend on doing it myself, I have done most other things such as rejet's etc but never engine rebuilding... Something that scares me, you see.

Considering at the moment I don't have the money too send it to a garage charging £45 an hour.

Any guild suggestions, e.g. Haynes?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

haynes

is a cracking set of manuals as they are written as they strip the bike down and rebuild it, they can be a bit of a pain though to navigate around as during a procedure you'll often get referred to a dif section of the manual.

Have a look on fle-bay or amazon to see if you can get a cheap dealer manual, they are usually better layed out BUT assume you know what your doing as a dealer mechanic.

One tip, get yourself a bunch of sealable jiffy bags, then as you take a component off you can put all the fixings for it sealed in the bag and write on there what they are for. Then you won't end up with a bag of spares at the end. Also write down notes, like a strip list so you can remeber where individual bolts etc go, especially the ones that were a pain to get at/off.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to this Topic
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

I...

will have a look for a good manual, and thanks for the tips, depending on the weather tomorrow I'll be bleeding the motorcycle of it's oil in search of silver lining (Mental despoits).

And have a good look! :smile

Thanks again,
Michael

Reply to this Topic
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Update...

Once I unscrewed the oil out plug, I found small amounts of metal stuck too it from the outside, which werent there before?

Anyone else can relate too this?

Michael

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

If

it's a magnetic plug, which I would guess it is, then they are bits of your cogs. The idea that your box has gone would look to be becoming true.

Looks like you'll need a few evenings and a big pot of tea.

Good luck,

Tom

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices