You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Yet again... Aprilia RS125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Yet again... Aprilia RS125

Decided at the bike was running so well to take a good trip from where I live (Gillingham) too Sheerness (Isle of Sheppy).

Which is quite a good ride and the island itself is full of motorcyclists. Maybe some from this forum?

Anyhow after a good long ride around the Island I decided to head back, and what a surprise, I broke down... (Yesterday, only just recovered bike today).

Was about to join the a round about before the bride back too the A2 and as I started pulling away in 1st the bike stopped, forks down down and I thought I was about to go over the handle bars.

Struggled too move the bike from the roundabout holding the clutch lever in so I could push it too safety.

It made the most horrid sound, thought the engine has dropped out the frame for a split second.

As I was pushing the bike it was making a grounding noise and stopping every so often as I was pushing it, making it a ton harder than usual.

Got back on the bike and tried pulling away again, and it did nothing...

Personally I think the gear box has gone completely, anyone one had a problem like this before? Or know what exactly has happend?

Any suggestions would make my day considering the luck I have had with the thing.

thanks,
Michael

(P.S. No suggestions such as e.g. "Buy a four-stroke/better bike" If possible) :winkie:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 March 2010 17:08)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Well I will be removing the crank casing tomorrow searching for all signs of wear and tear!

Reply to this Topic
calisi72612

Oct 12

calisi72612 says:

Aprilia rs125 clutch problem

Hi there, i am new to this site so bare with me! iv been having the same kind of troubles with my rs was riding down road couple of days ago where it suddenly stopped/jerked to a stop locking the back wheel. It starts\started but only with the clutch lever in when put it in gear and try let go of clutch lever it slowly dies? Took clutch case off yesterday seems like think its a balance shaft gear has worn down as there was countless shards of bits of plastic in gearbox so assumed it was one of the plastic cogs? could it be my plates have gone and not engaging\dis-engaging properly? also when it was coming to a halt bear in mind when i pulled clutch in it just kept going in gear made a horrible noise now noticed my crank case has got a split in it is this a strip whole engine down job and replace the casing? its the engine case behind front sprocket cover and behind rear shock? anyone done it before? any ideas as to what i should do? cheers jon:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Aprilia RS 125 Model? Year? miles?

Hi Calisi72612 and welcome to the site:smile

First why do you not post your own posting and stop tagging onto 3 year old threads?

Now you have had a catastrophic gearbox failure,this will take a lot of knowledge to put right,if every part isn't inspected properly and measured for wear and replaced if worn to excess the rebuild will be a waste of time as it will fail again.If the crankcases are damaged this could be the end for them so a full rebuild then could become a uneconomical repair,so a new or second hand engine would be the way to go.Hope this helps in your decision on what to do before making a mess of things or spending money on something that you're not going to fix yourself,GIVE IT TO A EXPERT to assess.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
calisi72612

Oct 12

calisi72612 says:

its a 2005 11kw with just over 30,000 km  which when did bit of research saw that at 30,000 theyre due bottom end rebuild crank/gearbox and what not. problem is havent got the kinda cash go out and buy a engine tomorrow or to pay a mecanic 30-40 a hour, will have to be in bits unless get lucky lol. didnt fancy making a fresh thread new to this site and all bike ones really. was hoping on the off chance this had maybe happened to anyone else as bad that something has been forced through the case as such not sure what till its been opened also i noticed bits of milky stuff on oil filler cap which guessing head gasket gone letting water in which wouldnt of helped at all suppose i aint going know for sure whats gone wrong were until looked at :blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices