Skip to content

Discuss This MCN Campaign: Fix our roads! General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN Campaign: Fix our roads!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

MCN Campaign: Fix our roads!

MCN is today launching a fight to mend our pothole-ridden roads. With your help, we’re going to highlight some of the country’s worst potholes and get them filled – even if we have to do it ourselves. We’ll give councils four weeks to fill the potholes you tell us about. From the ones that don’t get fixed, we’ll pick a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (23 March 2010 16:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
daveyboy79

Feb 09

daveyboy79 says:

Good campaign - Bad example MCN!

I drive that road every day in the course of my work, and where the tribute flowers have been left, it is relatively good road surface. Condolences to the family, but I'd be reluctant to link that accident to potholes without information from a police report. There is also an appeal for witnesses so even the Police report can't be particularly conclusive at this stage. Having said that, I do support the MCN campaign, and yes further up the Leighton Buzzard Road, about 2 or 3 miles out of town has mega potholes right on the riding line. It used to be a superb biking road until the potholes started appearing.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Fix the potholes...

... and then INVOICE the council for the repairs!

You receive an 'invoice' in the form of Council Tax every year for stuff you don't want/need/care about and you pay up and carry on as you HAVE NO OPTION (apparently). I don't pay council tax and I ain't about to start...

Well... What goes around comes around! Fix the potholes and then invoice the council. Add a 'penalty charge' onto it for 'failure to serve the public in accordance with....'

Reply to this Topic
scottashcockayne

Sep 06

by me there is a huge narrow but long pothole in a perfect midroad circle around a roundabout.... ill be taking a pik and sending it in!!!!!   good campaign from mcn!!  but we all know the government both local and central are only bothered about selling their own service for 5 grand a day!!  so why not start doing what the french and many other countries do!!!!!    go out and actually protest!!!!!!!!!!!!!   im sure id mcn orgainsed a good protest about the state of the roads many many of us would join!!!  ........................ 

Reply to this Topic
rider1000

Mar 10

rider1000 says:

Use a GPS to mark the holes

Hi,I am so fed up I've just bought a GPS (£80 including all leads)and am going to use the way point marker as I travel around in my car (yes I know its a car to note down the positions of the holes and then send them in an email to the county authorities. This means that it is easy to store this data. You have exact proof of where the hole is and this evidence can then be given to the police as well if someone does have an accident due to a pot hole that exists, the council knew about it and didnt get off their backsides to do anything about it. I live in South Bucks, if if all of us could borrow, buy use our own GPSs to do that we could cover the country in a few weeks.

Reply to this Topic
flowersofmanc

Dec 08

MCN Campaign

Nice one MCN, i will ensure all my fellow riders are aware of this and will send them all the link

Reply to this Topic
Ruthja2801

Aug 09

Ruthja2801 says:

Yellowninja600

How do you get away with paying no council tax, do spill???

I'm a newbie and I'm bloody petrified of hit a pothole so much so, it's slowed me right down!

Excellent idea MCN - along with a protest would be good!

Reply to this Topic
widowmakerv2

Mar 06

widowmakerv2 says:

counsil payments

Did you know that ever time the council fill a pothole they pay them selves ?

And the same pothole may be required to be repaired again and again and again the counsils love this?

Most of the time they put a big dolop of tar in the hole not even filling to the edge's mostof you will have seen this.

It's time the counsils put proper repair in and stopped milking tax payers ?

ROAD TAX SHOULD BE FOR ROAD'S

Reply to this Topic
darkenergy

Mar 10

darkenergy says:

MCN Campaign

Excellent idea! The more hassle they get, the more likely they are to get off their fat a***s and actually do something about it

Reply to this Topic
Nige Murray

Aug 02

Nige Murray says:

Potholes.

Worcestershire County Council employs 5 motorcycle mounted inspectors who deal with public reports of potholes [and any other highway related matters] and also 'spot' potholes, assess and arrange repairs. We have been doing this for over 2 years and aim to deal with reports within 48 hrs [depending on nature of defect report, type of road etc.] The team work alongside the highway inspectors [around 20] who conduct routine inspections daily and all A and B roads are inspected monthly and various other time frames for all other roads and footways in the county - the works gangs have been flat out since Christmas dealing with potholes and such like - we do try to keep the holes to a minimum!!!

By all means report the potholes but don't be surprised to find that it is already identified and awaiting repair - details of intervention levels and what constitutes 'urgent' are on the County website and where pothole reports can be filed.

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

how about doing a feature on worcestershire then Faz?

Seems like an ideal oppotunity to do a "story" on one council thats "walking (riding?)the talk" ??

Or doesn't the headline ~ council bikers doing good job appeal?:laugh:

GV8

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices