Skip to content

Discuss This Bike tax up 6% General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike tax up 6%

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike tax up 6%

Road tax for bikes over 600cc rises from £66 to £70 from April 1. The 6% rise was contained in yesterday’s Budget.  Tax for bikes between 401cc and 600cc rises from £48 to £50 while the rate for smaller bikes remains frozen at £15 for up to 150cc and £33 for up to 400cc. The Motorcycle Action Group said tax should...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (25 March 2010 13:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

bike tax

As a MAG member I totally agree that riders should be rewarded in some way for reducing their impact on the environment.  I find it ludacris that my father in law can pay £35 a year ( now reduced I believe) for a Peugeot 207 HDI, yet I have to pay twice that for my Z750, which causes far less pollution, emissions and causes less wear and tear on the road.

With regard to the scrappage scheme, I'm totally against this idea, either for cars or bikes.  Why should my taxes be used to subsidise the Japanes/Korean/Italian....motor industry.  Main dealers may benefit from this, but how many small, independent workshops and mechanics have gone to then wall through lack of trade.  There are plenty cars and bikes out there, well in excess of 10 years old, which realistically have plenty life left in them.  Legislating older cars off the road is merely pandering to the whims of the eco nazi element, who would rather see any motorised transport legislated off the road in any case.

Reply to this Topic
doctortongue

Jan 09

doctortongue says:

road tax

agree with you gixxer3quarter....seems strange i will pay £70 for my 2001 harley 1450 ultra and somebody with a 125 pays £150

Reply to this Topic
T1G3R

Nov 09

T1G3R says:

Hmmm

Perhaps they could use some of the cash generated to fix the pot holes and craters littering the road network or on educating car drivers or on designing a new test, etc, etc

Reply to this Topic
stevekwak

Feb 10

stevekwak says:

NO Road Tax

Thank goodness i live in the channel islands. :-) no road tax in jersey. otherwise i'd be paying a fortune in taxes on my bikes

Reply to this Topic
sjtscott

Aug 02

sjtscott says:

taxed via CC or emissions?????

Hmm it is a little unfair how bikes are paying more tax than certain cars but hey don't should shout too loud otherwise they'll start imposing emissions regs on bikes and tax us like cars! There's no legal requirement for cats on bikes in the UK still or a test at the MOT to confirm the bike meets a certain emissions limit.

What would bikers prefer?

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

100 MILLION FOR POT-HOLES

There you go ! The 100 Million found for pot-holes has just been raised by Motorcycles above 600cc.£66 per year rises to £70 as from April 1st. Not happy with this at all.

Reply to this Topic
DrAtsab

Jul 09

DrAtsab says:

Inconsistent taxation

A car with the same fuel consumption figure as my bike would be tax exempt, but I'll have to pay £70. There's nothing worse than inconsistency in government policy.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

like car tax, it's just another mechanism to raise revenue for the exchequer and has nothing to do with investment in road infrastructure, environmental targets or public transport alternatives.  another no-so stealth tax to get UK plc out of the pile of sh*t it finds itself in financially ...

i'm off to panic buy cider before the weekend ...

Reply to this Topic
laney21

Dec 09

laney21 says:

Alchemy

Hell I just changed my bike reg doc to a Ford Fiesta Duratorq and now my road Tax is nothing, just dont tell a,,' MCN', the only support we will get is from each other as any gov'ripoff'ment is only going to take more and more from the poor 'low classes' hard earning workers or what ever the tax paying people you want to call them. So MCN are you going to run a campaign against this farce!

Have a nice day,,,,,tum te tum

Reply to this Topic
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

Oh calamity, my road tax has increased by a measly £2....

That's almost like....less than a penny a day...

Sheesh... big deal.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices