Skip to content

Ask an Expert Improving the Learner Laws Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Improving the Learner Laws

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Improving the Learner Laws

IMHO, the biggest problem at the moment with government regulation of motorcycling is with the labyrinthine, confusing and expensive laws surrounding getting a full licence.

I just wondered what recent/current learners' opinions are of the laws and what their main hassles were/are with getting a full licence?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 March 2010 12:20)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

To be honest

I am a learner of 3 months and dont see any problems with the laws involving getting a licence.

Its simple as far as i am concerned, do your CBT, ride with plates, no pillions or motorways upto 125cc.

if you want a full licence, pay for training, go for restricted or direct access.

The only thing that bugs me is that i am restricted to a 125cc motorcycle as a learner, then  if i go for restricted licence, i am then limited to a somethingBHP motorcycle, which is annoying if only for the lack of consistency.

other than that, no probs.

Where the "confusing labyrinth" of laws are regarding learners come into it i'm not sure.

having said that, i would say the irrelevenace of some of the module 1 excercises are questionable more than anything.

thats my 2 pennies anyway

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

modules..

Having ridden int ow ork this morning, the mod 1 swerve test is a good idea,..it isnt a problem of u r correctly trained and comfortable on the bikes reactions and yours..had to swerve three times this morning..also, if u do ride to work, beware of potholes, and also, slimy grids on road..had a kick this morning wen moving off at lights..diesel all over the road..etc..wasnt nice..

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

learner rules

are reletively straight forward as summed up by d84. 125's are restricted too though, otherwise all the spotty youths would be on 30+ bhp Aprillia 125's.

The main problems as far as I see it are designing a test that cannot be conducted on a public road as part of it's done at 31mph. But the worst is that you have the most vulnerable road users going rediculous miles just to 'get safe' with training/tests. If you live, like me, in places like Cornwall and your nearest test centre is in Devon, a restricted 125 is supposed to take you approx 100 miles each way to do your test. Bloody rediculous.

I really would not like to be starting my riding career again now. That will be why 80,000 + riders have not bothered this year since the test began. This hits biking industry as well as just keeping motorcycling alive as it is now.

Rant over....................................................................For now

Tom

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mod 1

Module 1 for me was 2 hr return journey...so not that bad..

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

To expand

on triumphs post regarding the 80,000 less bikers taking the test.

In a way, the "Safety Measures" that the new test goes to to ensure new riders are safe may just be raising the umber of unqualified, and therefore unsafe (in the govs eyes) riders on the roads.

Of the 80,000 that have not bothered, a good portion of them will be running around on L plates with the intention of just repeating thier CBT every two years whereas before they would have put themselves through the training.

I would re-inforce this thought with my own circumstances;  this time last month, i could not do any of the slow speed stuff to save me life, i was useless at it full stop.

But after a LOT of strops, tantrums and "F***K this load of b*****ks episodes i magaed to get there in the end and can now do all of them pretty well.

Put that same scenario on another person who happens to like running around on a bike but isnt that bothered about getting another (bigger) bike or doesnt want a full licence then only one outcome is likely - Looking at the training and whats involved and immediately thinking, sod that, i'll stay on the L plates.

So part of the government drive to raise safety standards may actually be lowering them by putting riders off of taking training which in the governments eyes at least will make them safe.

Yet another silly decision my our wise leaders.:upset:

Lions led by donkeys.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Oh, well, OK

Sounds like people are fairly happy with it then...

Why I think they're confusing and labyrinthine:

5 different categories of bike power and/or capacity - two of them the same power and capacity but just differentiated on top speed. Another that also includes a maximum power/weight ratio.

Accelerated Access - I'm not even sure quite exactly how this works and most people haven't even heard of it.

A maneouvre that has to be carried out at 31mph.

The whole thing just feels like 'design by committee' and probably could be tidied up and simplified without compromising road safety. Ditching the whole power/capacity thing and going solely on power/weight ratio would probably be a start - I reckon an H-D 883 Low would make a brilliant learner bike... :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

Accelerated access

If you pass the test on a 125 and have a restricted licence, you can take the "accelerated access" which is doing the test on a bigger bike to remove the restriction early.

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

to you all

I'm on l-plates current riding a lovely suzuki gn125,  also trying to get lots of practice in as well. I'm currently taking my A2 licence because of my height(5'4) i can't ride any of the das bikes. I really think they need to sort out a more simple way of getting your licence and get rid of that stupid moduler 1 test. Also stop letting the stupid 16 year olds out on mopeds(extremely brain dead and dont know the meaning of O,S,M and P,S,L) as i have recently witnessed, if i had done what those stupid bloody idiots had done, my instructor would have gone mental at me) Get them off the road  i say, they also give us learners a bad name!!!!!.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

tourx4

I would have to agree on the mopeds and 16 year olds.

I was out today on the isle of sheppey and had stopped at a cafe for  a cuppa tea and the loo... in comes a group of mopeds, shorts, t-shirts, no gloves and one was topless.

Revved the crud out of thier bikes down towards the sea to do wheelies on the grass and chase each other around near families with toddlers.

Something needs doing regarding these braindead twatheads before someone (other than them) gets hurt.

You say they give learners a bad name - i agree to a certain extent as most of the morons are on twist and goes so its giving the moped learners a bad name.  Having said that i have seen some numpties on geared bikes and have wondered if i am being tarred with the same brush as one of those "learners" cough cough

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
benj666

Dec 09

benj666 says:

Learners

As a learner myself, 3 months now, 22 years old and NOT going for the Direct access test, i feel that the CBT time is invaluble as i have learn so much since passing. I fell off once, no injuries but it taught me so much. As for the licience tests, i feel there is something for everyone.

Anyone wanting to ride a bike, spend some time on your CBT, any mistakes and its cheap and easy to replace plus you get the hang of the roads.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices