Skip to content

Discuss This Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

A Labour MP has urged people to tell their male loved-ones not to ride motorcycles.Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman called motorcyclists “widow makers and orphan makers” who were “disgraceful in a civilised society”.   He said: “If you have a husband, boyfriend or son who wants to get a motorbike, please try and persuade them to get something with four wheels instead.” Join...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 March 2010 16:19)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
craigcbr

Jul 07

craigcbr says:

eh!  this numb skull is an MP?  How dare he compare any one who is killed in combat to any one who is killed in any other way.  He should be sacked.  How can someone with such a narrow minded view be in this sort of position.

As for widow making i think he should look at the other road users for that.  If it wasn't for being so vigilant for car drivers' wank observation skills i'd be dead every day on my 12 mile return trip to work.

Reply to this Topic
scottashcockayne

Sep 06

http://www.barrysheerman.org.uk/

heres the web address so you can leave this highly paid and underworked idiot a message!!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Arseholes!!

When are these idiots going to get it into their tiny fuckin minds that it is a freedom of choice to ride bikes!!! nobody is forcing us to do it, we know they can be dangerous, but so is horse riding and jumping out of planes but we dont see them trying to ban them!

Tell you what, any piss pot who votes these fuckin idiots in power again must be pissed!!! they are a bunch of two faced, communist arseholes, all theyve done is hand over years of british rules and laws to the powers in brussels and they wont stop until theyve got bikes off the road or got average cameras everywhere....i ride in france, germany most years and the freedom of the motorcyclist over there, to actually get on with riding is so much better....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

I sent this to his website: maybe he will iisten maybe not?

Enquiry Type:: General Enquiry
Your Comments:
Dear Mr Sheerman, Have just heard about your comments Mr Sheerman regarding motorcycles and the only thing I can say is you need to open your eyes a little and maybe try listening for once! Firstly, as a motorcyclist of 41 years and over 300k miles I resent having some person with no experience whatsoever of motorcycles like yourself trying to tell me how to live my life. As my mother taught me to ride and her parents taught her you can probably guess I like having the freedom of choice to ride or drive whatever I like. I tend to ride motorcycles not just for the sense of freedom but also because I cannot stand to sit in a 4 seat car adding to the congestion of city centres on my way to work. I have children and dont like to add to our polluted air any more than I have to. If you must show off your ignorance why not pick on the guy in the Ferrari who gets 10 miles to a gallon and doesnt care 2 hoots whether he is polluting the air needlessly. Or what about the Tories, isnt that your job! There are a million of us motorcyclists - a lot of us are working class lads and we dont want the man from the party which is supposed to represent us talking such claptrap! I hope this resonates somewhere in your Labour conscience although I doubt it somehow! And you may notice I am not in your constituancy but I can only be glad of small mercies! By the way my mum died of cancer - not motorcycles - but she was ever so grateful I went the way of being a motorcyclist rather than a drug addict/alcoholic like a lot of my friends did - it kept me away from so many truly bad temptations! You probably dont understand that side of things. As an aside, I look at a lot of young kids nowadays who have their mototcyles confiscated by police, as there is no where for them to ride legally (thanks to short sighted MP's) and now just sit on street corners doing drugs and alcohol saying "well theres nothing else to do!" and being abusive to us ordinary people walking by! Guess they have been kept safe form those motorcycle thingys - shame they will have no quality of life and probably be at risk of overdose, aids, Heppatitis etc.
Name:: ********

Reply to this Topic
nedd

Feb 09

nedd says:

Yeah right !

Yes well assuming people who don`t realise that one of the major reasons for living is to have a go on just about any motorvehicle yer can get yer `ands on and really thinks that riding a bike is not the etheral (or is that etherial) plane that most who have ridden appreciate  ......   Making sure your loved ones learn to ride a motorcycle as well as possible and with their head screwed on right is many times better than telling them not to get one !!    

What I reckon is most likely to happen there is the kid eventually finds that s/he needs one / realises what could be missing and is by then several years older and more busy so is in a lot more risk than riding one from a young age and spending time getting good a lot earlier. Then the main luck depends on whether car drivers stay sensible around them.  Otherwise the skill and the enjoyment take care of the rest.   I don`t ride a bike much and spend years not owning one but hardly a day goes by without I think if I could afford it what I would get and remembering how much I enjoyed the last time.   If I came up on the lottery I`d have a fleet of all types of bike and buy the Ferrari last.     There are some right duphuses about aren`t there.   Greetings to all bikers, Nedd

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

One can imagine...

this MP visiting the southern airfields in June 1940.......

"I'm sorry boys, I can't allow you to fly today as some of you may not come back ... but how are we to save England if I don't let you fly?".

You see Mr Sheerman, sacrifices have to be made in order that the majority can live peaceful and fulfilling lives. Forcing people to live in a cacoon in the hope it will keep them safe isn't living and adds nothing to society as a whole. No-one takes up a hobby or a profession expecting to die.....but in every sport, hobby and profession accidents and situations that put you in harm's way happen....and individuals must assess the risks and mitigate them as best they can through training, experience and educaion from an individual and collective viewpoint. Freedom and self-expression is what moves society forward.  

Britain and a biking community of over a million voters do not need to be talked down to by an elected official. We require parameters and education to be put in place by our government, not rhetoric.

The young look to the old for words of wisdom and advice.

My god man, have you learnt nothing in 60 years?    

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

Just sent a short but sweet message

to MP Sheerman's email which reads....

"Mr Sheerman, do not try to save a million motor-cyclists from themselves.....just save them from you and your distorted viewpoint by resigning. Please."

Hope this helps!....

Reply to this Topic
deafdave

Oct 09

deafdave says:

HEY LABOUR MP GO FUCK UR OLD GIT SEFT, WHY DONT YOU JUST FUCKED OFF AND LEAVE MOTORCYCLE ALONE, DONT YOU EVEN DARE TO LET PEOPLE DOWN IF U FUCKIN BANNED A MOTORCYCLE!! you cannot blame people who hav dies so that is life. u goint dead soon cuz u r old fucker! im sick of it about MP n police love motorcycle have banned of wheelie or other etc.

BIKE RULE 4EVER.

Reply to this Topic
deafdave

Oct 09

deafdave says:

also...

and also car crash have many people dies too, so what! my mum & dad n and my gf want me to have bikers as i do as well instead! that it.

what a twat n MP is suck!

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

civilised?

depends what your idea of civilised is doesn`t it.........is it  civilised to claim hundreds of thousands of pounds for houses that you pretend u live in while all the time the money you claim as `expenses` is tax free?.........i`ll go along with not riding bikes no problem as long as you travel from huddersfield to london on your own money to work just like i do and then when u get there if u want accomodation u pay for it out of your own pocket not mine...........how many people are killed or seriously injured on horses every year.....statistics for 2007......air ambulance was called out 150 times that`s 3 a week..........horse riding has taken over biking as the most rural ambulance related casualty callout....you are 20 times more likely to have a spinal accident on a horse than a bike........the statistic is 7000hrs to 1 serious bike accident and 350hrs to every serious horse riding accident........the guy is a complete wanker and i can guarantee all his hoo-fukin-ray henry  friends ride horses and their privately educated stuck up kids as well....but i bet he never montions banning horses

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle