Skip to content

Discuss This Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

A Labour MP has urged people to tell their male loved-ones not to ride motorcycles.Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman called motorcyclists “widow makers and orphan makers” who were “disgraceful in a civilised society”.   He said: “If you have a husband, boyfriend or son who wants to get a motorbike, please try and persuade them to get something with four wheels instead.” Join...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 March 2010 16:19)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Yambabe

Mar 10

Yambabe says:

Looks like it's OK for us women to still ride though lol, hurrah for the feminist prejudiced idiot!

Reply to this Topic
b3bmcwi

May 07

b3bmcwi says:

LOL

Can we please get this headline up stat;

"Labour MP in Sexism Scandal"

What would Harriet say? My wife and I both bike year-round. On this basis she should be trying to curb my bike use whilst continuing her own. This fact alone tells us that this imbecile knows nothing.

In addition he, and all the other would-be do-gooders amongst the govt, insist on targeting bikers on their own safety. I've always believed biking is not inherently dangerous, but biking in today's traffic environment is. Anyone claiming to try and help us should concentrate their efforts on the information and training of the majority of road users in cars and so forth - like the current 'think bike' ad which is quote good -  if we didn't have to concentrate so much on what everyone else is about to do to injure us, we'd have some more margin of safety.

Reply to this Topic
MADMARK99

Jan 05

MADMARK99 says:

Tw@t

Maybe the thieving idiot should look into the amount of people killed in and by cars and then maybe we should all f*cking walk.

Some of these dinosaurs in govt, need to be ............. better not say what i`m thinking

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

But not complaining about bicycles?

I'm guessing that if you look at statistics bicycles are one of the most dangerous forms of transport. In terms of accidents per mile travelled but no mention of them? I guess thats because they are "green" but so are motorcycles - much lower emisions than many other forms of transport...

(This is not to dis cyclists just to identify a clear prejudice in the article)

Reply to this Topic
SIMKelly

Apr 09

SIMKelly says:

smart move

Is this guy trying to lose votes !!

Really should have thought that statement through a bit more !!

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Andy -

You're right.  I ride a bicycle too, and it's a hell of a lot more dangerous than a motorbike.   You're constantly being overtaken, car drivers seem to think it's their duty or God-given right to pass you without getting even a seconds' delay.   You have to swerve to avoid pot-holes, glass and crap on the side of the road.

You get knob-ends sticking their bonnet a foot or so into a junction, so you have to veer out around them, which in turn infuriates car drivers that think you are the cause of the problem, not the knob-end that is protruding into the road.

We (cyclists) are much less protected - the safety gear is minimal.  Injuries are usually much more nasty.

I know you weren't having a go at cyclists - it's the car drivers who are always to blame.  Hell, motorbikes are the only class of road user giving cyclists any consideration at all.

So singling out motorbikes as the Big Problem on the road is frankly absurd. 

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

MikeR

nice idea - bit of a trek, but I'd turn up !

No reply to my e mail yet...

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

sheerman

I think we should show our support for this man and go see uddersfield  one saturday!!!!!!!!!! Before any election ..They dont want any more statements like wooton Bassett!    We can be such a pain!  what with  man u fans/ba strikers and rail staff havent they enough problems!!!           I see a labour MP is suggesting the new test needs looking at again didnt she!!!!!      ANOTHER LABOUR mP NOW SAYS  let footie fans own the clubs.!!!!!! They just dont get it the thieving gets,13 yrs of screwing us and now try to win us back with more bullshit..........I gave you the test...I gave you the extra points system...restrictions....police persecution..the holes in the road(.gave the tax to the eu)..Vote for me..!!!!GB Ltd.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I f you do you wont get a bike over 500cc in 5yrs time then as the engineers make that quicker the BHP will be lowered and youll be in a cockpit!!!!!Wearing titanium  but you will have your own bike lane.The first 12ins near the kerb!

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

C'mon join the facebook page

only 55 members when I last looked a few mins ago ...

Reply to this Topic
GHolmes81

Sep 08

GHolmes81 says:

?

Whats the facebook page called?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle