Skip to content

Discuss This Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Labour MP: Tell loved-ones not to ride motorbikes

A Labour MP has urged people to tell their male loved-ones not to ride motorcycles.Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman called motorcyclists “widow makers and orphan makers” who were “disgraceful in a civilised society”.   He said: “If you have a husband, boyfriend or son who wants to get a motorbike, please try and persuade them to get something with four wheels instead.” Join...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 March 2010 16:19)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RoadKill127mcc

Mar 10

I have also just emailed Sheerman for his comments informing him that i have contacted my local labour mp and informed her that i will not vote labour again as obviously as a disgrace to a civilised society labour will not require my vote

Reply to this Topic
Rabs111

Feb 10

Rabs111 says:

I'm currently off work, laying in bed most hours of the day because two weeks ago some one in a 4x4 changed lanes without looking and went straight into me, breaking my tibia and fibula... Think It's be better to tell loved ones to LOOK for us apparent orphan makers and widow makers. Although I'm single and have no children, what does that make me??

Reply to this Topic
Old geezer

Jun 03

Old geezer says:

Reply to this Topic
chombs

Sep 06

chombs says:

Vote Sheerman Out - For all our sakes

This guy is typical of many supposedly educated people using statistics to make a point but ultimately exposing their ignorance to both the subject matter and the data behind it. Sheerman has unearthed a set of numbers that describe one aspect of the symptoms of a problem - motorcyclists killed, and ignored everything else important to the cause of the problem. Furthermore he discriminates specifically against male motorcyclists. Personally I will support a more balanced and less predjudiced MP at the next election - for all our sakes.

Reply to this Topic
RoadKill127mcc

Mar 10

Just recieved this letter from sheerman after emailing him and my local mp to say i will not vote labour again being as im such a disgrace to a civilised society i assumed they wouldnt want my vote , this is the reply 

7th April 2010

Dear Mr Simpson,

As a Member of Parliament, I have always been an advocate for road safety. My comments in the House of Commons arose from thorough research and quite devastating facts.

In 2007, the number of road accident deaths among motor cyclists in Great Britain was 588. Although this number has been decreasing over the past ten years, it still remains a great problem in road safety as it accounts for twenty percent of all deaths taken place on Great Britain’s roads. I agree that there are many other problems contributing to the number of deaths on the roads and I acknowledge the fact that many of these deaths may be caused by drivers of four-wheeled vehicles. Regardless, I am still a supporter of addressing every problem in road safety, including motorcyclist accidents.

I am the chair of trustees of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety. The objective of PACTS, as a registered charity is “To protect human life through the promotion of transport safety for the public benefit”. In our efforts, we tirelessly work to advocate research-based improvements to transport safety

I will not apologise for my work to promote road safety in the Great Britain, but I thank you for your comments on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Reply to this Topic
bikerphil33eod

Apr 10

WOULD RATHER STICK PENCILS IN MY EYES THAN VOTE FOR SHEERMAN

This Sheerman bloke is just the sort of "we know best" (insert your prefered insult) who is hell bent on making out lives so boring and risk averse that one day peeling spuds will require medivac on standby.

Reply to this Topic
weebar3

Dec 09

weebar3 says:

widow makers............

i have just one comment on the Labour Party fool's comment of 'widow maker'

Gordon Browne is the widow maker, he has our boys blood on his hands. i know soldiers choose to fight before you start but i am just saying as far as i am concerned that's what he is.

If this lot think any one will vote for them this time then they must all be doing some pretty good sh*t that's all i can say.

:mad:

Reply to this Topic
LukeZX6

May 09

LukeZX6 says:

Disgraceful in a civilised society

Because the problem in society consisting of rebel teenage gangs, stabbings murders rapes, and topping it all off our troops fighting other peoples wars, it's the men and women on their motorcycles enjoying themselves on their days off or just getting to, and from work! Get your damn priorities straight!

Reply to this Topic
casalinda

Aug 09

casalinda says:

Bloody politicians!

Before making such narrow-minded and sexist statements - usual headlining - perhaps Mr Sheerman can advise car drivers and their loved ones to observe the Highway Code.  That would save a lot of motorcyclists' lives!:mad:

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

Twat Sheerman.

20% eh, so what about the other 80%, or are we going to call for cars, bicycles and walking being banned as well.  I'm quite sure if Liebour had their way, horse riding would be banned as well, along with anything else percieved as non "working class".  e.g fox hunting and giving marmite to nursery school kids ( again for "Health Reasons".

No one is trying to belittle 588 deaths, but this is minor compared to the number killed on other modes of transport, and minimal compared with the number of of our boys killed in Iraq and Afghanistan as a result of Liebour's illegal war.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle