You are in... Forums > General > General > Piaggio NRG starting probelm

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

smgreen

Mar 10

smgreen says:

Piaggio NRG starting probelm

Hi, hope someone may be able to help me...

My son was riding his NRG 50 Air cooled last sunday, slowed down (let go of the grip) and then tired to speed up but the engine died...We have not been able to start it since..

It has a good spark & fuel..

After looking, I found the piston rings very worn, so i have replaced them, so It has good compression now..(I looked at them initially as i felt that the kick start had lost some of it's pressure when trying to start)

I have changed the plug, put fuel in the plug chamber but it still won't fire..

As I have a spark on the plug, am I right in summising that the CDI unit is working (both the coil and CDI unit are one in the same)..

I have checked, dismantled and cleaned the carb - all jets are clear and fuel definitely enters it..

After kicking the bike and checking the plug, I would expect it to be wet with unburned fuel, but it appears dry..also by putting fuel directly into the plug chamber I would have at least expected some reaction from the engine (pop, small backfire) but nothing..

The bike was running pretty well before, started more or less 1st time on kick, and had good speed and accelleration.

Am I over lookng something very simple...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (31 March 2010 08:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
milly99

Mar 10

milly99 says:

same thing happened to me ...

When I was young and beautiful, my brother and me took the engine apart, took hours and hours ...

there was a spark and the timing was right - then  we realised there was no petrol in it, took us a whole day to work it out

Reply to this Topic
smgreen

Mar 10

smgreen says:

I have fuel - honest

lol...you certainly won't have been the first and won't be the last...

I think in way way you are on the right tracks --  although I have fuel I don't think it is gettting to the spark plug..

I was trying to start the bike without the air filter on, probably not a good idea because 2 strokes need all the compression they can get and this is aided by the filter...

I just got some new gaskets for the base, so going to fit them and put the air filter back on and try again..

Really has got to be something simple..I have fuel, spark and compression - should = running engine !!

Simon

Reply to this Topic
milly99

Mar 10

milly99 says:

check

maybe check if there is fuel in the the carburettor, blocked jets or empty float bowl, stuck float

good luck :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

what age is it? miles?

you say you've dismantled the carb? have you put idle screws/ mixture screws back to their original (ie correct) settings?

2 stroke oil at right level? oil pump working?

Don't know whether yours has manual choke or auto choke, but is your choke working? does that make any difference? out of interest, has it been down on power / hesitant on throttle recently?

Reply to this Topic
smgreen

Mar 10

smgreen says:

continuing

Hi, No problems with power or hesitation...

I've reset the carb back to factory settings..2 1/4 turn out.

Automatic choke, tested it on 12v battery and seems to be working..

No oil pump, 2 stroke mixture  - vacumm operated..

I've had to order a few more things for the bike today, new fuel tap (contantly flowing fuel), base gasket and cylinder bolt (damaged it through constant tightening and loosening)..but earlier this evening I think I came a bit closer to getting the thing going again...as I definitely have fuel in the chamber, good spark and a bucket full of optimism !!!

I'll let you all know how things progress (after easter now though)

Thanks for the replies

Simon

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Have you checked

The KILL switch?:lol:

Reply to this Topic
smgreen

Mar 10

smgreen says:

No switch

No kill switch on the bike

Reply to this Topic
bullz712

Apr 10

bullz712 says:

im having same problems

im having problems aswell piaggio nrg 50cc 53 plate.

he was riding down road and it just cut out wont restart cleaned carb set it up correctly  fule going into carb but after trying to start took spark plug out and its dry like thier no petrol getting into chamber.. can anyone advice me what else to check or is thier a pipe that leads to piston chamber from carb...?

please help  my son doing my head in

Reply to this Topic
smgreen

Mar 10

smgreen says:

Try

I'm still waiting for parts for mine to put it all back together - Because I've changed the piston rings and it doesn't feel quite right I'm replacing the whole head (£50.00 for beedspeed.com) -

You could check your reeds - engine may be flooding due to bent/worn petal ~(under the carb)-

Clean the carb - simple to dismantle and blow jets through

Check compression (pistion rings), check for spark (CDI unit - although thisn is an unlikely fault.

Renew spark plug

Check the fuel tap is operating correctly (under vacumm if releases fuel if it's the same as mine) Fuel shouldn't flow from the main pipe when disconnected from the carb - if it does suspect engine flooding.

Check the magneto, ensure the woodruff key hasn't broken putting the timing out (stator will spin and slip if it has)

Since your problem is the same as mine, slowly look at the most obvious first - Fuel, Spark and compression is the way to go then elliminate the not so obvious

Sorry I can't be of more help, but parts for mine should arrive shortly and I'll let you know how I get on

Simon

Reply to this Topic
bullz712

Apr 10

bullz712 says:

hi

thanks for  getting back to me ive just bought a new compression tester and that should be here in couple of days.. so i will also keep you informed..

cheers

darren

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices