Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Ducati Multistrada 1200 v BMW GS First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Ducati Multistrada 1200 v BMW GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Ducati Multistrada 1200 v BMW GS

The king is dead. Long live the king. MCN's world first comparison test of the new Ducati Multistrada 1200 proves it is a better all-rounder than BMW's brilliant R1200GS. More on the Multistrada 1200 Read Multistrada 1200 and BMW GS bike reviews Read the full in-depth test in this week's issue of MCN, on sale Wednesday 31 March.  http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1119137831http://www.brightcove.com/channel.jsp?channel=711881422 // By...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (31 March 2010 09:02)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fidius

Jun 06

Fidius says:

Great

How do you upset a BMW GS rider? compare there bike with another bike a simple answer :) personally the GS will win hands down in harsh riding conditions that's what its built for you can throw what you like at it and it wont let you down but as a road touring machine were your riding nothing but tarmac then i think the multistrada will come out top dog it just looks so much more easy to throw about it looks alot more fun to ride it looks so much more eye catching i just would be concerned about expensive things falling of it as aposed to the BM were nothing would fall of :P solid as a rock.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Hmmmm

Well, i'm lookin at it from this point of view...More GS's stay on road than go off road. Granted there are the "real" adventurers who have done the big trips and have been doing long before Ewan and Charlie. But back to the first point......they are more road bikes than pure off roaders, the big KTM is probably the only proper off roader in my eyes.

So, nearly 15k for the fancy Duke?? and not far off for the equally spec'd GS...

I've just bought a brand new Triumph Tiger 1050 SE with extras, panniers included, ABS as standard for 10k!! its faster than the GS and a more exciting ride, i know this as ive got two friends with GS's and ive ridden them, and it wont get left behind this new duke i doubt...and in my eyes is a better looking bike than both!!

So for me its a no brainer, the Triumph has got the 17 inch wheels..because it will never go off , so sticky tyres for me!! in my eyes its an ultra - capable mega-moto that can tour, scratch and i'll be comfortable on the way there.......Its got bags of character and sounds amazing with the arrow can on..........

Each to their own..

Reply to this Topic
benjybobs

Nov 05

benjybobs says:

Did someone not bother changing the settings from sports mode on the Ducati or something. I was looking forward to hearing about the differetn settings of the bike and how it felt on each settings. I bet those mcn guys didn't want to take it off sports and was having too much fun, they probably forgot it even had them settings on it.

Reply to this Topic
DavidHondaCBF

Mar 10

Neither

The BMW looks very nice - but for me neither of these compare to the Triumph Tiger 1050!

Reply to this Topic
jpooch00

Aug 09

jpooch00 says:

Both are too expensive!

In these economic times, both of these bikes are just too damn expensive.  I really don't think the Duc is really competitive with the BMW in any way other than raw power.  Also, is there any reason on earth to believe that all the gadgets and gizmos on the Duc will last for long in the real world?  From what I've seen/read/heard, Ducati can't even make a radiator that doesn't leak!

I wish them both the best, but neither of these bikes are for me.

Reply to this Topic
caister

Jun 06

caister says:

crap music

hey great review but for god sake why do we have to listen to that dros. why does everybody think all bikers are into friggin rock music or similar... suzi f#####g quatro at the tt yum yum NOT!!!!!!! rant over ..

Reply to this Topic
spike67

Feb 06

spike67 says:

review?

ok, so they're gonna save any real info for the publication, but this is rubbish. Repeating the same shots over and over, no mention of how the electronics perform in various modes or the switchable power on the Duc, no roll on acceleration comparison or stability under braking... The Duc looks fantastic, but both testers say the BMW is the better bike unless you're coming from a sports bike (which I did) - yet they couldn't lose the BMW on the road despite the extra 30-40bhp. The king is dead? I doubt it; a different character to the same thing? Quite possibly but perhaps more like the Emperor's new clothes...

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo63

Mar 09

Gizmo63 says:

Maybe not

There are several things that lead straight to the GS as the best bike for those who want to really use it.
1. ‘Ride by wire’ – anyone heard about the Prius!
2. No key in the ignition – anyone heard about the Prius!
3. Chain-drive – anyone doing 20,000 mile per year would want shaft drive, I wouldn’t go near chain drive now.
4. Reputation for reliability – BMs go on, and on, and on and ……..

Not a bad tank range though, but who designed the instruments? ‘Orrible!

A few folk mention the Tiger, nice idea (I still have an original) but again it loses out with chain drive and no mention of heated grips or ABS.

A nice expensive try by Duc for the part time riders but I don’t see it catching on.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Tiger 1050 SE

Just got a new Tiger SE mate, hard luggage and ABS as standard...cheaper than a GS...heated grips could have been spec'd and it would have still been cheaper...that and the fact that it was just more exciting to ride, i rode both before buying...Triumph gave me the feel good factor..where as the GS just felt like a Tool ( a very good one) to get from A to B, for me...a bike needs to be involving and able to put a smile on my face while getting from A to B.....

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo63

Mar 09

Gizmo63 says:

re Tiger 1050 SE

@ Stu_sp2

Fair enough - I stand corrected on ABS and grips, but it's still chain drive though isn't it?

Interested to know what the 'real world' mpg and tank range are like?
I get 45-48mpg from my '99 K1200RS and just manage 2 days of commuting per tank.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices