Skip to content

Discuss This Hiroshi Aoyama eyes top ‘rookie’ prize MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Hiroshi Aoyama eyes top ‘rookie’ prize

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Hiroshi Aoyama eyes top ‘rookie’ prize

Reigning 250GP world champion Hiroshi Aoyama has set his sights on finishing top rookie in his first attempt at the MotoGP world championship. The Japanese rider, who has struggled to make a major impact in winter testing for the 2010 campaign on the Interwetten Honda RC212V, has targeted success against fellow 250GP graduates Marco Simoncelli, Alvaro Bautista and Hector Barbera. The quartet...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 April 2010 13:57)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Based on testing

Aoyama has a long way to go to be battling in the top 5 - espcially in a race with few crashes.

Funny how they have rookie in quotes and only mention the 250 graduates. So basically the "only 250 riders do good in MotoGP on 800s" bullcrap has been tossed out of the door by you know who. Barring injury everyone knows who the top "rookie" is and who will win "rookie" of the year.

At this point it's a total toss up on who will be the top 250 graduate this year. None have been overly impressive thus far. Simoncelli has just looked awful - he's been pulling up the rear.

Reply to this Topic

Feb 06

020528 says:

Totally agree...

with you RawDawg.  He doesn't have a chance at top rookie.

Regarding the first paragraph...  He's going to struggle to finish top rookie in his second year in MotoGP wouldn't you say!?

Reply to this Topic
twistedrider

Jul 09

twistedrider says:

Ben Spies is a rookie too. Good luck Hiro...

Yes, I did see the quote "[Hiroshi] has targeted success against fellow 250GP graduates", but the fact remains, if Hiro wants to be top rookie, he has to beat Ben Spies. Bar any injuries to Ben (God forbid), its not going to happen. The article is basically quoting Hiro as saying "I want to be top rookie, not including Spies". Silly.

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

I also agree

But unfortunately most of the rookies are coming from the tiddler class(250's) and I'm also sure this is what most rookies want in their 1st season, so he probably did make that comment....I think this is MCN dribble that is published anyway for benchracers like us to fill up with our  posts...

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Why Not?

Yes Spies is a rookie and yes he has been the most impressive rookie in testing to date. However remember only Dovi seems to be relatively content with his 2010 Honda having spent the most time on Ohlins. I think that as the Honda riders get their machines sorted they will move up the leader board as the season progresses. All commentators mention Aoyama's approach to riding the 800 as being a clinical methodical one. So he's quick, thinks and understands. I think he has had a pretty good off season of testing despite the limited machine time (which he has duly & rightfully slammed the GP commission for). All the 250 boys have come off vastly different machines to a four stroke 800, so their learning curve is steeper. Spies has come from a season on an M1 in disguise, not to mention his GSVR races. So for me I'm expecting Aoyama to be the top of the new crop of 250 boys, but will not rule out the possibility of him being the top rookie full stop. Lets just see where they all are mid season before we blow too much hot air up Spies arse.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

M1 in disguise my ass

If that was the case JT wouldn't have had any problems in his transition and would be blowing people away.

/failed

The only thing the M1 and R1 have in common is the firing order (but engine are from different planets), both run Ohlins shocks and forks, and the name on the tank. Oh, and they have "1" in the name. Please......

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Biggest Difference?

Tyres!

Reply to this Topic
Vee4pilot

Feb 10

Vee4pilot says:

SBK and 800GP?

much more than a difference of Pirelli and Bridgestone tires...factory superbikes just make more raw horsepower compared to their prototype distant cousins, as well as the obvious differences in weight, you have to take into account the physical size of the machines....someone coming off of what was a large stock Yamaha R1 and onto a machine designed for a person standing 5'4"-5'7" weighing in at 120-135lbs is going to have to make a major adjustment in riding technique....

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yes there are differences - R1 - M1

But they are not that great. Both machines produce roughly the same power delivered via the same Magneti Marelli Marvel electronics package. Superbike are 14kg heavier (about the difference between Pedrosa and the average rider). Both machines have infinite amounts of adjustability - including positioning of seat, 'bars, 'pegs to accommodate riders of differing heights. The major differences are the stock frame (which has a bit of M1 pedigree to it), carbon brakes, 9% weight diff and tyres. Of these the superior performance of the Bridgestones are easily the biggest factor in the lap time differentials. Look how long it took Pirelli to beat the old Michelin WSBK lap records.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices