Skip to content

Discuss This Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes?

Motorcycle trainers are booking people they have never seen ride onto a controversial new test in which scores of learners have crashed. Poor preparation has been blamed for several learners suffering serious injuries on the new riding test. Yet MCN found trainers offering places without making any visual assessment of ability. Our reporter was able to book a test for a month’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 April 2010 16:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

@Mattmorris..

In fact you can only ride up to 12bhp on L-plates following your CBT.

33 bhp is what you're limited to for 2 years after passing the full test on a 125cc bike.

Reply to this Topic
Chris132

Mar 10

Chris132 says:

I hate the DSA!!!

I passed the test in Jan 09 and I have to say that I think the Module 1 test is a total waste of time. You've already proved that you can ride slowly and safely on your CBT so why do you have to repeat it on a larger bike the principles of riding slowly are the same. The swerve and stop manouvre seems pointless and stupid, why would anyone swerve to avoid a hazard and then carry out an emergency stop, whats to stop for you've already gone past it safely! I agree with everyone else in that the instructors are NOT to blame they book the test and then arrange the training as close as possible to the test. If you are not ready they simply rearrange the test. Scrap the Module 1 test now, if you can ride through a town, on dual carriage ways and country roads for an hour you can ride safely. If people want to ride like idiots and potentially kill themselves after the test then that is their choice, no number of tests will prevent this.

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

Sorry

Sorry got a bit Barry Sheerman with my facts there. But I would like to clarify my comment. First untrained riders with L plates and 2 years no supervision etc=crap idea. I know that without having MSM and lifesavers drummed into me until it was second nature I would not ride the way I do and it has certainly save my arse on several occasions. Secondly , your typical plod has less idea of what you can ride around than I do. I've lost count of the amount of 600 bandits with L-Plates I've seen. And juding by how they go when the lights go green I'll show my arse in Harrods window if they've got restrictors on.

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

training!!! and instructors

i learning to ride now. but i'm lucky my instructor and training school have a good reputation(motag)and never rush pupils throught training!!. And i'm the owner of a suzuki gn125!! called honey. I think the DSA  are crap and live in the land of the fairys!!!  

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

@Chris132

It's not an emergency stop, it's a controlled stop. I assume that the aim is to show that you are still in control immediately after the swerve with a manoeuvre that doesn't call for too much extra space.

The only aspect of the swerve exercise I have any particular gripe with is the unintuitive feeling of accelerating into a known difficulty, and I can't see how you'd replicate it in a manageable way with a "surprise" timing factor like the emergency stop exercise.

Reply to this Topic
03Ollie

Mar 10

03Ollie says:

No the DSA and Gov't are to blame

I passed my module 1 test 4 days ago.  It was a drizly morning and although there was a break in the rain, the surface was still greasy.  Now I don't know if the DSA give you further to brake after the swerve in non-dry conditions?  But if they don't then that's completely out of order.  The highway code clearly states you need a longer distance to break safely in the wet (is it 4 times as far???).

My trainer was fantastic but unfortunately they were only a small place so had no off-road facility.  This meant I had to practice on a public road.  Albeit the quietest road i've ever been on (I only saw two cars in 5 hours).  This is the true tradegy how can anyone prepare for a test  when no training places have the right facilities avalible.  Again if the DSA had introduced more test centres there would be less competition for places so training schools could book the sites for training.  Its simple supply and demand.

It feels so much like the government is secretly tyring to get rid of motorcyclists.  Yet again another disgrace in todays (so called) civilised society.  I keep asking myself why do such idiots run our country.

Reply to this Topic
Biketester

Apr 10

Biketester says:

Well said Albert - the controlled stop is there to make sure you are in control after the avoidance and that you can pull up afterwards in a reasonable space - it shouldn't be an emergency stop!

If the controlled stop wasn't part of the avoidance exercise then it riders would steer off line to avoid the first set of cones and then finish up on the opposite side of the site. On the road that could be either on to the pavement or into the path of oncoming traffic!

it is not difficult with proper training from a good instructor - and there are loads of them out there as well as some who take people for test when they are not ready.

Reply to this Topic
Chris132

Mar 10

Chris132 says:

@ AlbertHerring if it's not an emergency stop then why does it take place at the exact same spot as the emergency stop on the module 1 test facility. The stopping distance is the same and the required speed is the same. :-)

Reply to this Topic
CharlieR

Feb 10

CharlieR says:

Conditions

After reading all the comments thus far, it strikes me that people are being penalised in the tests if they ride more slowly in the wet. Is it right to set a minimum speed for the swerve bit if people are naturally adjusting their speed to their own estimations of what is safe for them to stay on the bike if it is wet? No, it is not right. And so the test is not right. Doesn't make it wrong though, just inflexible when some flexibility is needed. Perhaps 31mph for the dry, between 25-30mph if wet surface, and 20mph minimum if raining? But the govt. doesn't let its employees uses their own discretion in applying their social controls - how long have we had speed cameras collecting fines rather than the police, well, er, policing?

Reply to this Topic
kevinm6012

Feb 10

kevinm6012 says:

Training

When are people going to understand most of these training companies and the DSA are only interested in getting customers through the door. In other words....MAKING MONEY!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices