Skip to content

Discuss This Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Are trainers to blame for learners’ test crashes?

Motorcycle trainers are booking people they have never seen ride onto a controversial new test in which scores of learners have crashed. Poor preparation has been blamed for several learners suffering serious injuries on the new riding test. Yet MCN found trainers offering places without making any visual assessment of ability. Our reporter was able to book a test for a month’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 April 2010 16:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cardiffmc

Mar 10

cardiffmc says:

Having a rant

As always I have been saying to mike to get out and talk to his local school, may be he will take this advice now.

This is the most thought out argument I have heard of him and to be honest he is doing his home work, all though I have to laugh at his changed attitude to directive three, again I have pointed out that this will be the real hammer that cracks the nut, the reply I had was that it was the training industry driving it forward so we could line our pockets, I talked to my local MP early last year about this directive, I have also pointed out that its the car test that needs to change now. My arguments hijacked to prove his point.

I would like to know where were MCN and its helpful readers in 2002 when the white paper came out on all this, were was the up-roar then? What about the failed implementation in 2006,2008? the transport committee don't say anything new and no I don't agree with every thing it says. As for wet or dry the test is easy although there are people out there who simply don't have the skills to pass with out cutting there teeth on a 125 for a year or so. And that's a good thing with a touch of good luck I saw people pass the old test who should not even be on four wheels let alone two, as for mod1 being flawed, I think not and again I invite you to come down for a day, I really love the standard of rider that it turns out and im sure you will be as well.

I have never stuck my head in the sand over any thing to do with motorcycle legislation I was still campaigning in the early 80's to get the helmet law over turned, I was there at pentanvill prison (look it up) Hyde park and all the rest. That's why I asked if you wear a helmet, if you do you can be thankful and grateful that we failed, we all hated the idea of change, CBT being the last thing I fought against.

Hear I am 20 years later, teaching it after going to see how it works and never looking back, that's 20 years of putting bikers first and like all bikers that have stuck the course I have evolved into a better more competent motorcyclist.

It is childish to call people names and I have said more than a few words I regret to the general biking populace and I am sorry for that.

Reply to this Topic
artybee

Aug 02

artybee says:

Cool Stuff

Hijacking arguments is a skill isn't it?   ;). 

I started training motorcycle, somewhere other than this green and pleasant land and it involved 250 and 200. Riding these bikes taught me more about bike skill than my UK test and I did CBT/DAS.  Small bikes teach you more about planning as you don't have the power to pull you out of problems, they also build confidents and you're not battling with the weight. Better rider are developed by building the cc with experience, please don't take is as a endorsment of directive 3 as I in two minds about it at present.  I seen the effect of big bike syndrome in the stranges places. If you went to the NEC show and took a demo ride you may have noted that you only went left, the only right hand turns where roundabouts, there was a reason for that........

As for MCN, it does what it does, we all read it and it starts a good argument.  One thing I would say about the story above is that I'm a little suspicious of how Sherman George got pick as what he done in not unusual. There are people in MCN,  that know some people ( let say) , that aren't fond of Sherman, so let have a open mind..... 

Reply to this Topic
cardiffmc

Mar 10

cardiffmc says:

just a though

If you go back 20+ years ago you will find the vast majority of people who came into train could already ride a bike, they took there test on a 125 and maybe brought any thing from a 250 to a 600. 20 years later the vast majority I teach are novice the x-box generation, most haven't rode a push bike let alone a motorcycle and this is a real shame, I had noticed it took longer to train some one up to test standard pre mod1 and about a day longer for post mod1. Yet all we get is people slagging us off for teaching life saving skills, as much as I didn't want mod1 I have to except its here, I know its not easy for some and if that forces them to ride a smaller bike for a year or two so be it. I did and I flourished, some of my best memory of my early biking days are touring all over the country on a 125 my test was just a few laps around the block and that was it.

What Mod1 has done for me is to confront the lack of slow control and balance exercises that we used to do, it also means we have to really put people through the motions of E-stop and Hazard avoidance, these are real skills that real bikers have to use every day, this week for me it was sheep on the A470 over the beacons, a lorry turning right from the left hand exit on Tredegar house roundabout and my best ever a six car pile up at the end off the on ramp at Coryton onto A470 (I had my escape route but to hear cars plowing into each other in my blind spot was scary beyond words), this is one week of riding for me. If I can teach people how to deal with this then I will.

To my lasting shame I can say I was stuck in my ways as most schools were. Mod1 was the wake up call and the most important thing to remember is that the DSA best shape up and never let such a shoddy implementation of testing happen again, what hope would there be to change the car test if they use this as a modal for the future.

Reply to this Topic
banditman2010

Jan 11

no trainers are not to blame

trainers should not be blamed. i did my direct access to ride a motorcycle. and the guy who trained me was awsome. he even booked a sunday at the test centre so we could look at the new test. and i found the swerve test quite easy. and the last time i rode a motorcycle was when i was 13 on the fields. i spent more time chewing grass than i did in the saddle. and im 45 now so i took my mod 1 when i was 43. enyway on the day on the avoidence my 1st attempt was 47 so had to do it again and did 56 secound go my emergancie stop was 63. and i was more worried about that. as i thought the examiner was going to have michalin tracks accross her. as i thought i wasnt going to stop. if you look closely into this argument its more the scooter riders that are the problem. as they are not a steady bike enyway. and i think the injury count in this exercise is mojority scooter than the bigger bike. i think the speed for scooter should be reduced. i passed my mod 1 no probs. having said all this i think that the swerve test is no good enyway as in september2010 a car sped out of a junction i had around 3 secounds to do enything so swerving was not a option in eny sense so doing this test was not fitting ( a trainer shopuld never be blamed for a tumble on the swerve test. not unless he has 6 senth and can see is pupil is going to fall off

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices