Skip to content

Ask an Expert Clutch Issue? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Clutch Issue?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

johns0n

Mar 10

johns0n says:

Clutch Issue?

Basicly looking for help in regards too my RS125, seems too be a clutch issue.

Basicly bike refused too go into 1st gear at stand still causing abit of an issue but I thought it was normal as such every now and again.

Went for a long ride, and no obvious problems till I came to a round about tapped down back into 1st, stopped for moment to jump on the round about.

Started letting go of the clutch lever giving the bike about 5,000rpm to jump on the roundabout abit quicker.

about 3/4 let go of the clutch started rolling forward and bang. Stalled. Massive bang came from engine? back wheel seemed to lock up as I nearly went over the handle bars!

Started bike again and tried pulling off again felt the bite and soon as I near enough let go of the lever bike stalled again.

Decided to get off the bike and push it too safety, Had clutch held in as it wouldn't go back into neutral, as I was pushing it even though the clutch was fully held in the bike would lock up? But finally got it out the way.

Gave the bike another go and no surprises it stalled again, reason I feel it is clutch related it because the bike starts perfectly well and revs fine. Still got compression not that I have a meter too check but does sound as normal as ever.

When I try changing gear the clutch makes a grating sound but the sound as now disappeared.

Also drained oil for signs of metal and none was found in oil though cyinder shaped small bits of metal were stuff to the magnetic oil out plug.

Anyone had similar issues at all? Or any suggestions will be amazing!

P.S.

Other friends who ride bikes seem to think it is a case of replacing clutch plates? If so how simple?

Thanks,
Michael
:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 April 2010 22:36)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

bang??

ayup mate.. u not reckon the bang was a backfire??

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch?????

Oh dear sounds like the clutch/ gearbox is breaking up and giving it another go will only make things worse.:shock:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Just sounds like...

adjustment?:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
biker1966

Jul 09

biker1966 says:

clutch

the gear selector bends easy on them engines

making it hard to get in gear,,
if you say its only 1st gear try pulling away in second with plenty welly,
if its the same may be a gear box problem,
clutch plates are very easy on them to change ,
just make sure you note the way the plates come out if you not done a clutch before

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bits

What do you all think of the cylinder shaped metal bits stuck too the sump plug magnet?  Is this normal.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

Hi Jaffa

this is the continuation of an earlier post. There are 7 sets of needle rollers in this gearbox, one has obviously failed and has broken up. Hence the rollers being stuck to the plug. I agree with you No manner of clutch adjustment is going to fix this, the gearbox has fallen apart and unfortunately needs stripping down. Any metal whether on a sump plug or geabox plug is NOT normal. It never happens unless a component is rubbing/failing.

J as with the answers to you other posts you are going to have to split the cases, this is not an easy fix I'm afraid.

Tom

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices