Skip to content

Ask an Expert GROUPAMA Insurance Definately NOT Recommended Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > GROUPAMA Insurance Definately NOT Recommended

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

rudemugs

Mar 10

rudemugs says:

GROUPAMA Insurance Definately NOT Recommended

I have just spent 6 months dealing with GROUPAMA insurance after a claim for theft.
What an incredibly poor service I received from them.
I would very strongly advise against using these people under any circumstances. Talk about do anything to avoid paying a fair price!

I'll compare them to my car insurance company eSure, with whom I had reason to deal with the day after as my car was written off by some white van driving idiot tailgating me on the M3 the day after my motorcycle was stolen.

Within a week my car had been examined, and a few days later a very acceptable offer was received for my written off Galant with which I had no reason to quibble, while I may have got a fraction more on the open market, I was still pleasantly surprised that the offer was in the region of the true market value and happily accepted the first offer. The cheque arrived and all in all very pleasantly done transaction and I had my settlement in less than 1 month and was sufficiently pleased to renew my insurance without hesitation in January, despite being offered cheaper elsewhere.

The day before, my bike was stolen. It was insured by Groupama. The first thing they did was arrange an 'telephone interview' with me, making me feel like a suspect. I am an IT professional who hadn't claimed on bike insurance for 20 odd years. This formality wouldn't have been too bad, but they needed around 7 weeks until a slot for the interview. What was the purpose? I can only summise they suspect all their customers of being dishonest.

Some time later, a cheque arrived in the post, for a derisory amount. No attempt to contact me or agree a valuation had been made.
Several phone calls were made, mostly to an answer machine which promised they would call back. Of course, they never did. After several weeks, I managed to speak to someone, who though friendly and polite was not really sure why they had valued the bike so low, around 30% of thier own admission of the top rate. I was not after the top rate, the bike was in sound working condition, with a great engine and 11000 miles but I'd happily accept it was not A1, but neither was it a heap. I eventually returned the cheque with a letter stating it was not adequate. Some weeks later (can't remember exactly, but probably at least 6) I was asked for evidence of value.
I sent 2 similar bikes in from the MCN site, all that were similar, both with higher mileage. I hasten to add that I did not 'filter' this evidence, the only 2 similar bikes were there for approx £1000 more than the valuation I received.

Another few weeks passed before an engineer called to impose another valuation - he was not going to negotiate, about £250 more. Reluctantly I agreed as I was sick to death of the saga by then, expecting a cheque to arrive for £250 more than the first.

When the cheque did arrive, it was for only £100 more as they claim they got the excess wrong the first time round.

By now I am fuming with their incompetence, poor practice, implied implications, lack of negotiation, lack of returned called.

I am left with the impression that they will do anything to save a few quid on payouts, and under no circumstances could you call the service speedy or efficient.

6 months later I have a derisory cheque based on a valuation basically imposed by the company that is a long long way off replacing my bike with anything similar.

Groupama are definately NOT recomended. If they come out cheapest, please pay a few quid more and go to someone else. It will be worth it I assure you.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 April 2010 11:16)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices