Skip to content

Discuss This New Norton Commando v Triumph Bonneville First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > New Norton Commando v Triumph Bonneville

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

New Norton Commando v Triumph Bonneville

MCN testers have just returned from riding the new Norton Commando 961 SE alongside the latest Triumph Bonneville. It’s the first time the Norton has been road tested against another bike. There’s a hell of a price differential (Norton: £15,995, Triumph £5899), but MCN’s riders still came back buzzing about both British machines. Chief road tester Trevor Franklin said: “Surprisingly, the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 April 2010 13:50)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
LJohno

Mar 09

LJohno says:

Best of British!

The road test that they never would have anticipated...British bikes are on the up!

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Both great looking bikes.

Reply to this Topic
jcbenbow

Sep 05

jcbenbow says:

Norton: £15,995!!!!!!!

Both good bikes, maybe you should have compared the Norton to the Thruxton? Absolutely no way I would pay £15,995 for the Norton.

Reply to this Topic
DrVibrafly

Feb 10

DrVibrafly says:

Money no object

Then maybe I'd fork out for the Norton but gimme a Bonnie any day, I am thinking about one for my next bike.  Whichever one you go for though it goes to show that the British bike industry is getting better and better.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Bonnie for life

Give me a Bonnie any day, Nortons way too much money.

Reply to this Topic
MrButterscotch

Jul 09

Hooray for British bikes!

Both are fantastic - I'd happily have either.  However, I think being realistic I couldn't afford the Norton.

Reply to this Topic
y996sps

Aug 04

y996sps says:

Norton: £15,995!!!!!!!

Great value for money,

WHY?, Only 200 being made with only about 50 for the UK market and the have all sold.

If you could get one at £15,995 I bet you could sell it straight away to an overseas buyer for a healthy profit.

That said, if you are lucky enough to have got one you would have to be mad to sell it.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

get real

of course they are going to be exxy to start with once they have for of a foot hold they will drop the price same as MV

aint it best to have 50 for the uk market and they are sold better than 50 sitting storage

Reply to this Topic
coventryeagle

Apr 10

Right comparison?

I can see that MCN would be eager to test the two bikes; but would it not have been better to either compare the standard Commando or to use one of the many special Bonnevilles available; like Jack Lilley's? Or go for the outside option and use a Moto Morini?

I can't wait for a full group test, closest way of comparing would probably be caff racers : Triumph Thruxton, Norton Commando (Cafe racer not SE!) , Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic, perhaps one of the Ducati Sportclassic "Biposto" too?

It isn't the fault of the manufacturer that the bikes have a £10k difference - each one is aiming at very different levels of a similar market!

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

What? When?

Phew, just thought I had woken up in 1960's England! Is the bike industry so lacking in origination that they are slavishly recreating a biking nostalgia for middle aged folk with very deep pockets?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices