Skip to content

Discuss This Driver who blocked overtaking biker jailed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Driver who blocked overtaking biker jailed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Driver who blocked overtaking biker jailed

A father-of-two who moved his car to prevent a motorcyclist overtaking has been jailed for eight months for dangerous driving. Andrew Sherratt, 32, caused “life-changing injuries” to 49-year-old Andrew Morris by forcing him into the path of oncoming traffic. Paulinus Barnes, prosecuting, said: “Mr Morris went to overtake the defendant. “There was some traffic coming in the other direction but the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 April 2010 17:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

post gone where?

my posts keep appearing after I type something else, why??

Reply to this Topic
edball

Apr 10

edball says:

windy one

and i'm not saying ALL bikers are speed freaks, but i AM saying that a lot of them DO ride well beyond the speed limit! i have witnessed two crashes from thoughtless bikers, one of which the only victim was the rider, trying to pull a wheelie on a main road and the daft cunt threw the bike under him! My main reason for coming onto this forum was to get the point across that no matter how 'innocent' you all try to paint yourselves (and i have my work cut out because majority of you want cars to be abolished) .. you have ALL broken the law at some point on your 2 wheels.I've been driving at the speed limit and a bike overtake me on numerous occasions 'as if i was standing still'! Slag me off all you like, but the driver didn't try and kill him for overtaking. That's just a pathetic bay for blood because he took out one of your brothers! Think of it from the drivers point of view if you can, do you think he would go back and let him overtake? of course he would! I DO feel for the rider who took the blow, but it happened, they all learned a valuable, somewhat costly lesson, and life goes on! relax

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

Re ED

We want cars banned???  90% of us drive and own cars too.  Where did you get that from?

The difference between motorcyclists and some others are we do not have such strong opinions about vehicles and guessing attitudes which we are not involved with, or make up how vehicles we do not have experience of operating or have driven alongside behave.

For instance not that many of us drive articulated lorries so we do not tell the world how good or bad those drivers are or how they operate their machinery as most of us do not understand the workings, capabilities or limitations or dangers of those machines.

We do operate motorcycles AND cars so we feel we do know something about that subject.

Car drivers hurtle by their droves in speed limited roadworks where people are in danger of being killed so dont preach on here about most bike riders speeding, most car drivers ignore dangers to other people as on motorways the majority will speed in a speed restricted area if there arent police or a camera.

In 30mph zones you are far more likely to find cars speeding than bikes, these are identified as areas which kill people outside of the offending vehicle.

We have ALL broken the law?  I think most human beings will have broken a law, with or without knowing it, but that is hardly a very scientific statement.

You say car drivers do not try and kill people, well in one sense you may be correct, but this judge's statement was actually incorrect, even the smallest of 'normal' cars weigh in at over 750KG, the average car is over 1 tonne, larger ones 2 tonnes every car driver who exceeds 30mph, if they strike a pedestrian at 45mph will most probably kill them, due to the hunk of metal they are hurling down the road.  Nearly every driver knows this so if they exceed that limit they know the consequences.

On a road any car or larger vehicle driver that pulls out in front of someone just to try and save time and lets face it they knowingly do it, risks killing or maiming someone, they know what the consequences can be.

This isnt just pushing in at a checkout or something similar, these ignorant actions have consequences to other people for the rest of their lives.

Currently this is at the rate of over 100,000 per year in the UK.  100,000 so waken up to a real problem of society.

People pushing and bullying in cars, ignoring laws and endangering over 100,000 people every year, excluding the driver and passengers.

Would you like to reply with the statistics of how many people motorcyclists injure every year excluding the rider and passenger?

Do you see the problem??

Get on a small motorbike and ride around for a weekend amongst traffic and see what you 'law abiding' wonderful people will do to you, then reply.

Reply to this Topic
ndnoakes19

Nov 09

ndnoakes19 says:

Ed...

Hi Ed,

Now I don't want to seem like a bigotted biker, but your arguments have no basis - they are all on the assumption of speeding. Yes, while I will admit that almost every biker here has probably done way over the limit, it doesn't mean it's all the time and it certainly cannot be assumed that we are all reckless idiots - you also have to remember that it is us that are the vulnerable party in any "misunderstanding" with another vehicle, the rider is always going to come off worse.

Now whether he meant to come into contact with him or not (we all know the scenario - pissed off / jealous driver just wanting to get his tuppeny worth in), he did cause the accident to occur. If the same was true of a bike, we would get the book literally thrown at us in court!!

There was the case of a speeding biker being jailed for 6 months for doing 130mph on a Hayabusa and causing no harm (although I will concede that there was the potential) and then a week later an MP back-bencher was jailed for 13 days for killing someone when he crashed into their stationary car on the M4 (traffic jam...) whilst texting at "in excess of 135mph" - where is the justice in that?!

Now I'm sorry but if I want to speed, nobody can tell me that I can't - I am responsible and do not believe that it is morally wrong to break the speed limit... Us bikers are not completely without blame, but all too often I;ve been cut up by other vehicles who simply didn't have the decency to check if I was in the space that they intended to occupy - whilst being completely within the law.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Ed - are you serious, or just a jack-ass?

If so,  please let me know you're around and we can have a quiet, respectful conversation here.  Only just noticed what you've been posting.

That's if you're a man who likes to believe himself serious and considered when it comes to his views, rather than some jack-ass who just likes stirring things up for some anonymous cheap yucks.  You say you're not a troll, I'll believe that until proven otherwise.  Are you up to the challenge?

-----

Now then.   Let's talk about this case.  In your first post, you say, "The guy driving the car made a mistake" - actually that's not true, he decided to prevent a bike overtaking him regardless of the consequences.  You then suggested this action was justified somehow on the grounds that bikers ride above the speed limit, and that bikers should all drive cars instead anyway.  As if car drivers were beyond reproach at all times.

So... do you want to discuss your points here, or would you prefer to leave the discussion at the level you have pitched it thus far?  Your answer, or silence, will tell both us and yourself a lot about your character.

Reply to this Topic
edball

Apr 10

edball says:

enough said

My point was the car driver DIDNOT attempt murder! Therefore it is pathetic that you all are calling for the judges head to be removed for not classing it as attempted murder. That was all slowlearner. The car driver did something stupid and thoughtless, and it could have been a far worse outcome, i know this. But he didn't try to kill the bike rider! You are all tarring car drivers with the same brush too.. so how about i do it right back? ndnoakes19 has spoken on bike riders behalf really Quote: "Now I'm sorry but if I want to speed, nobody can tell me that I can't - I am responsible and do not believe that it is morally wrong to break the speed limit" "Yes, while I will admit that almost every biker here has probably done way over the limit, it doesn't mean it's all the time and it certainly cannot be assumed that we are all reckless idiots" oh well, at least it's not all the time eh?

Reply to this Topic
thruxton05

Nov 08

thruxton05 says:

Language

Dear Mr edball, I have read your posts and find your language quite offensive. If you need to use such language could you please try to keep it in the "over 18's" section. Please bear in mind woman and children can also access this forum. I have not reported you as offensive because i don't believe you intended to cause offence, however if it continues i will. I know the discussion is getting quite heated which is not a bad thing but please think before posting.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

edball:

Thank you for replying.   Agreed - this driver wasn't attempting to kill the biker.  The court did not find him guilty of attempted murder.  Had it done so, he would have received a much longer sentence.  He was jailed for dangerous driving.

You are also right that it is unfair to class all people in the same way - but note that you have been doing this yourself, from your very first post, when you declared that "bike riders are the worst when it comes to offending", that bikers cause problems and just ride off, as if that were (a) true and (b) had any bearing on this particular case.

So how is it ok for you to use a major and prejudiced generalisation to imply that the biker was at fault, while the car driver just "made a mistake" ?

This sort of murderous arrogance by car drivers causes death and crippling injuries to bikers, while putting said car driver in no physical danger whatsoever.  So it's not only criminally reckless with the safety of another person, it's cowardly.

Why should other bikers just "get over it", and why should we be told by you to "get a car!" ?

Would that advice hold, to "get over it", when it comes to terrorism?  Or to someone hurling a brick into a crowd?

I'm curious as to your take on these things, and look forward to continuing this discussion.

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

That horrible car driver!!!

If i had my way, i would of quite happy had the driver hung, drawn and disombowled with a very blunt, rusty knife that had been wiped in some nasty bugs that would of made the cid(centres for disease control) in atlanta very very worried. How dear he think he can do that to one of us, f###### check!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

No reply from EdBall?

So the guy has just run off, rather than allow his opinions to be respectfully discussed?

Oh gosh, how thoroughly typical of cowards and bigots.   Edball, if you ever feel the courage to start a conversation about your chosen subject - how bikers are all law-breakers and we need to drive cars instead, I'll be right here. 

Get a few of your mates to help you out if you like - have you got anyone you'd consider clever?  Please send them along.  

But damn, EdBall, you've not responded to a reasonable conversation for days since I offered it.  That loses you a lot of credibility, aren't you going to reply again?  Remember that I said "Your answer, or silence, will tell both us and yourself a lot about your character." 

You have had a genuine reply  - from me - now we only have your silence.  What does that tell us both about your character?   I fear the latter is telling us more.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices