Skip to content

Ask an Expert Road miles or instructor? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Road miles or instructor?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Road miles or instructor?

Hi Guys/Girls,

First time posting n new to biking! I have a Yamaha R125 which i have only ridden with L plates for 250 miles in the space of 8 months. Slowly trying to build my confidence after dropping it twice due to the bike being a bit too tall for me. My question is should i gain the experience needed by just clocking up the miles on my own or should I pay for some lessons/training?  I will eventually  go for full license at some point. Any comments or tips gratefully received.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 April 2010 17:33)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Try an instructor

should give you confidence. - Who owns the other bike in the picture? Why not get them to lead you out, show you lines etc and ride shotgun?

Reply to this Topic
dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Maybe both?!

My fellas the owner of the R1... we went out yesterday and he was showing me  what line to take when  going round bends etc which helped.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

advice

hi there, I passed das last year (Nov, was freezin!) anyway, I have been out on mine..its only now, I understand the cornering thing..plus i work in a physics dept so i hope nothing changes in interacting forces when cornering..sadly, still got chicken strips on as just cannot bring myself to lean over that far..mayybe in summer with mid 20 degree C temps, I will, atm, its impossible here..mud all over the roads from farmers so takes ages to get rid of it, the find bike resembles a crosser..!  I go out on my own for a tootle, but ideally need a m8 to go out with but they r all working this week and im off..still, get sum miles hopefully.  I may do a bikesafe course nxt year as i called local one and they told me to i need more experience..but on the ad it said any1 with a licence..

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

road miles

i've done over 6000 miles in a little over 12 months and i i'm pretty fast and confident , i've ridden in snow, hail and floods and no training can compete with actual experience. while training is important experience is key (why do you think you have to stay at 33bhp for 2 years?)

i'd advise to ride as much as you can but if you simple dont have the time an instructor may be able to help.

Reply to this Topic
dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Thx for the replies...

I think it is a matter of getting the experience....n as soon as I have a bit more... I  will probably go on to do das...n then a bigger bike!!

Ok ....i have to learn to walk  before I run but hey :smile

Reply to this Topic
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

I am

Riding on my own, have clocked up nearly 2000 miles in 3 months to gain confidence and experience.

I have my DAS booked for the end of the month,when that comes around, the nerves that come with starting out are long gone and only have to worry about the hoops to jump for the test.

I reckon get some miles under your belt, then go for the test - i'm quite confident approaching the test days (two weeks to go!)  but i wouldnt be if i had only just started riding.

my 2 pennies :roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

dirtydi

I'm on l-plates just like you and i think maybe you should do both. Get lots of time out on your bike and if you can, have some lessons as well(i did and it really helped). Make sure you book in with a good but patient instructor who loves you asking lots of questions as well(it does help). Take your time as well but above all have fun and don't put any pressure on yourself. Hope that helps!!. Good luck and enjoy yourself thats what riding your bike is all about!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Slowlane

Mar 10

Slowlane says:

Do both

Road miles will give you good experience and help to build your confidence in handling the bike and making it go where you want, but if you want to pass the test you will need the input of an instructor.

Slow Lane

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

riding vs test

IN my opinion, riding and taking the test are 2 completely different riding techniques..I took my test after doing one 2hour lesson a month, started in april 09 and passed mod 2 in nov 09.  Basically, mod 1 and 2, mod 1..basic handling..mod 2..handling the bike in general road conditions..i forgot about the examiner and used him as a sat nav..that was it..passed at 2nd attempt..failed 1st time due to road markings and changes ..they put  astop sign at a junction and never saw a solid white line, the signs were about 12ft on a pole..anyway, took it 2 wks later and had 1 minor..different route and decent examiner..the training u do with an instructor is there for u too pass a test..even though i have passed, i still take heed of essentials, like mirrors above 40mph, shoulder checks below..oh, nother thing, DO NOT STRAIGHT LINE ROUNDABOUTS...saw a very nasty accident whilst out..apart from that, listen to the instructor, take hsi advice, eyes and ears open and at the back of yur helmet!  Wot really pees me off, is you are at a roundabout with build up of traffic bhind u, look in mirror and shoulder checks, theres fkwit in his cage with bumber touching rear tyre,.,or the chavs who try n get u to race them..i just pull over or take an alternative route to my destination, basically through traffic so u can lose em..lol:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Good luck

with the test dave....Im nowhere near putting in for my test! I suppose i just expect too much of myself...at the mo im slowing down way to soon before a junction...taking bends at 30mph n as for braking still not sure which one/both to use...n i darent even think about coming down a hill lol..i should b a pro by now ive been on it half a dozen times!!?Not that im impatient.

tourx4.. slowlane...i am having fun...mostly...n i probably will clock up some more miles n then get some input from a few lessons. Ive been a pillion for two years now n im keen to get on my own two wheels. 

Seems strange how after only 6hours on a bike ever u can legally hit the roads:wacko:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices