Skip to content

Ask an Expert Road miles or instructor? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Road miles or instructor?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Road miles or instructor?

Hi Guys/Girls,

First time posting n new to biking! I have a Yamaha R125 which i have only ridden with L plates for 250 miles in the space of 8 months. Slowly trying to build my confidence after dropping it twice due to the bike being a bit too tall for me. My question is should i gain the experience needed by just clocking up the miles on my own or should I pay for some lessons/training?  I will eventually  go for full license at some point. Any comments or tips gratefully received.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 April 2010 17:33)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davejp84

Feb 10

davejp84 says:

dirtydj

When i did my CBT and assessment for the DAS, i asked the instructor about the braking.  He said that i should be using the front brake mainly and complimenting it with the back brake as required.

As for going down a hill, find a quiet one and go down in second, the engine will hold you at a low speed and once your comfy try giving a bit of throttle or change to third.  things like this have helped me, rather than avoid something, ease yourself into it.

Dont push yourself into doing anything too fast or you will be having a debate with the deck before you know it.

I'm eager to get the test over and done with, i'm bored waiting now :mad:

ride safe!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Reaper666

May 09

Reaper666 says:

nice pair

Hi, great pic, they make a nice pair.

I'd say both road riding and insructor. Only problem with road riding alot is the poosibility of picking up bad habits that an instrucor would need to get rid of for the test. If you drive a car, that helps, as you are halway there with the roadcraft side of things.

Good luck, and don't forget, we are all still learning

Reply to this Topic
bigboots

Jan 10

bigboots says:

Dirtydi

As for braking, don't use your front brake on bends you'll sit up!! Back brake for that otherwise use  mostly front brake, and back brake for stability.   Should get your speed right for bends so don't have to use brake really.Get riding miles under your belt, but can't beat a good instructor, will help you to learn good points first and not 'unlearn' them later! Safe riding. :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
yoyo100

May 09

yoyo100 says:

Needs both

I passed my CBT in June last year and bought a 125 to practice on. I didn't have any lessons until after I failed Mod 1 on it, I learnt more in 2hrs with an instructor than I had done in the 2000 miles and 6 months previously. Have a 2hr lesson and then continue on your own for a while and see how you feel then. You will find it will all click into place really quickly, I was gutted bought a 125 as within 1000 miles (I rode every day in all weather) I felt really at home and then it was just a csae of saving up for DAS. Good luck with it and ride safe.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Police motorcycle manual

Get yourself a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft - bit of a yawn in places but full of useful information.

Reply to this Topic
sheepshank

Jun 09

sheepshank says:

Training

I recommend a 3/4 day course with a qualified trainer.

I have never owned a 125 and took a 3 day course (shortly after my CBT) followed by Module 1 then, shortly after, Module 2. It was the best thing I have done as I am now a proud owner of my new baby (650 Bandit). Even after a year on and 5000 miles on the clock I am STILL learning about speed into corners and leaning the bike over. I still have my instructors voice in my head when things are going wrong..."calm down and chill out"

Hope that helps? Good luck with your test when you decide to take it.

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

to sheepshank

Hi  i am thinking of getting a new suzuki 650 bandit for my 1st big bike(1 year on restrictors) . If you dont mind i've got some questions for you  What's your bike like to own, is it reliable, what's the bike like to ride short and long distances, is it comfy?, is it easy to work on?.many thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ps Happy riding with your new baby!:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

Reply to this Topic
JustChillOut

Jul 09

JustChillOut says:

Get the miles in!!!

There is no substitute for miles on the bike to build confidence and understand bike handling. I did my CBT in November 2008 and had a great instructor who I actually listened to. After that I did over 10,000 miles on my trusty old 125 in all weathers.

I am so glad that I did this instead of a 4/5 day course (it was much cheaper for starters). If you had a decent instructor for your CBT and you already have a 125 it seems pointless to spend money on an instructor until you are looking to prepare for your test (except maybe for a couple of hours to help get back into the groove or work on particular problems). In preparing for Mod 2 my instructor has not said anything that wasn't covered in my CBT, he only pointed out a few bad habits that I'd got into.

Despite being really nervous after having read all the scare stories about Mod 1, I actually found it quite simple and I reckon this is 90% due to experience and 10% due to instruction.

Reply to this Topic
dirtydi

Apr 10

dirtydi says:

Miles...

Since my first posting I have been out 3 times on my own ...just small rides of upto 20 miles and Ive already got a little more confident. I even started leaning into the bends a little more,, although still manage to slow down to far away from the junction! I am sure the more I go out it will become easier as a lot of you have encouraged:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
skunkmonk

Aug 09

skunkmonk says:

road miles or an instructor

this is only  my  opinion :smile
i would  suggest going  to an instructor the reason  being is  that  way  you  get shown the correct way from the start its easy  to  learn new  things  but a  lot  harder to unlearn  bad  habits

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices