Skip to content

Ask an Expert Driving with no insurance - Help needed Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Driving with no insurance - Help needed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

likesbikes

May 05

likesbikes says:

Driving with no insurance - Help needed

Hi gang, run into a problem this evening and hoping for some advice.

Passed a Police car going the other way earlier, two minutes later it was behind me and pulled me over. My car had flagged up on their ANPR as not insured. I was not unduly concerned at this point as I could remember changing my insurance on the regular date of Jan 7th. Whilst the people on the other end of the officers phone were liasing with Hastings Direct, I told them how I distinctly remembered them asking for a 'proof of no-claims discount' and how i had signed a declaration form with my previous insurers details and posted it back to them. This is where alarm bells started to ring.

It seems that they (The insurers) cancelled the policy on February 5th as apparently this never reached them or never got to the right department. After initially returning the dclaration I heard no more and as a result thought no more about it.

I would like to state that at no point have I received any notification that this had happened. I spoke with my (former) insurers once I got home. The lady on the phone said that their records showed a letter was sent on January 29th giving me 7 days notice of cancellation if they never heard from me, another on February 5th advising me that it had been cancelled and a refund to my bank account. As I said above, I received neither of these letters. However I checked my online banking and a refund was paid into my bank on February 24th which was 20 days after the cancellation, I admit that I missed this at the time and have no excuse for that.

Having gone through all my policy paperwork, it has a form stating my preferred methods of contact. It clearly states I can be contacted by letter, e-mail, telephone or SMS. I was told of the cancellation by none of these methods.

Also in the policy documents it states that the proof of no claims is required 'for their records'. Nowhere does it state that cover is issued subject to this being provided and may otherwise be cancelled.

Back to this evening, my car has been impounded at a cost of £20 per day plus a £150 release fee. This is obviously on top of the £200+6 points fixed penalty. The officers, about whom I have to say I have no complaints or argument with, were very sympathetic however their hands were tied as no insurance is a very black and white affair at the scene.

Has anybody had experience of anything like this, and what action I could possibly take? Also am I better off taking a gamble on going to court to explain the circumstances or will it make things worse? Do I have a case against the insurers and would it help clear my name?

Any help or advice would be extremely well received, many thanks in advance.

Cheers, Darren.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 April 2010 00:04)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
vfrgaz

Aug 02

vfrgaz says:

Insurance check

Hi, I know this is more than a little late in your case - but when it comes to checking whether your bike/car is actually insured before using it, you can check on http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

It's something I do periodically, not because i'm paranoid, but i'm never sure that i'm paranoid enough. Hope your case turns out as painless as possible

Gaz

Reply to this Topic
Gixxer1000L0

Apr 10

Gixxer1000L0 says:

my understanding is

the Police use the MID database on the ANPR vehicles but it is the responsibility of your insurance company to get your details on the MID within 7 days of inception or any changes.

When the Police stop and say your bike/car whatever isn't on the database and isn't insured and it subsequently turns out it is insured its the insurance company to blame and not the Police.

Additionally, the database searches on your registration number so if the registration is wrong on your certificate of insurance the likelyhood of getting a tug for no insurance is significantly increased.

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

insurance,

Steve...The wording is  AND  not OR and it refers to using a vehicle  in course of employment...ie firms motor

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

insurance,

Steve...The wording is  AND  not OR and it refers to using a vehicle  in course of employment...ie firms motor

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

insurance,

Steve...The wording is  AND  not OR and it refers to using a vehicle  in course of employment...ie firms motor...jeez this site..Now youve got it in triplicate!!! 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
likesbikes

May 05

likesbikes says:

Surprise new communication from Hastings

Hi again all. Not posted for a while as nothing further to report, a letter was sent to the CEO but no response as yet. Considering a follow up letter and/or a phonecall.

However today I received a surprise letter from Hastings which reads as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Policy/Reference Number XXXXXXX

Further to your recent communication with our Customer Relations Department, please find your cheque attached.

If you would like to discuss your complaint further, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Relations Department on 01424 XXX XXX.

Yours Faithfully,

Hastings Group Payments

Sure enough a cheque for £15.00 is included. At no point has this money been mentioned in any communication between Hastings and myself so I am at a loss as to what its for?

I've already contacted them on the number given however was held in a queue, decided to hang up and see if anyone here has any ideas before I ring them in the morning.

Needless to say I have no intention of cashing this cheque before I know what it's for!

It got me thinking though and I decided to double check the amounts paid and refunded and have found a discrepancy:

My original premium was £308.51 + IPT of £15.43 totalling £323.94, this is the amount paid by myself via a debit card. According to the copy of the allegedly sent cancellation letter, my refund was less £45 charges resulting in "£253.20 inclusive of IPT at 5%"

£323.94
    - £ 15.43 IPT at 5%
    - £ 45.00 Charges
    = £263.51

This leaves £10.31 adrift, I'm not optimistic enough to think this means the insurance is still valid and as such I was covered but I'm curious as to what I've missed in the arithmetic. Surely I don't have to pay tax on a refund? Please feel free to correct my maths if I have worked something out wrong here.

Cheers once again all,

Darren.

Reply to this Topic
likesbikes

May 05

likesbikes says:

Cheers vfrgaz

Someone elsre told me of that MID check thing. I'm checking that every time I fire up the computer now, I really am maxed out on paranoia :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
blade223

Oct 11

blade223 says:

driving with no insurance

i was caught with no insurance on my way to work the insureance company cancelled my policy and did not issus any warning or option to keep the policy i explained this to the court and provided the new policy i got after and sorn while i arranged the new policy also i told the court i was within my first 2 years and 6 points would revoke my licence and result in job loss as job is over 30 miles which will mean my kids will suffer from this and will need to find a new place to live, given all these facts i was issued with 6 points and £200 fine, so in this case going to court din't make any diffrence as i still lost licence and job and we are trying to survive on bennifits now

hope this helps

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices