You are in... Forums > General > General > Diagnosis

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cushk3

Mar 09

cushk3 says:

Diagnosis

There is probably a much better area on the forum pages to post this but I'm hoping to get a good range of experience ;o)

After a long-ish ride a week or so ago, I stopped to get some cash out of the machine and killed the engine for maybe... 10 mins. When I started it, there was an almightly backfire that came from beneath the tank (literally bollock crushing!). The bike then immediately began ticking over at 4000+ RPM (usual is 1100 at stand-still).

The strange thing is I have no loss of power and can still accelerate through the rev-range without a hitch - I have however lost the ability to use engine breaking. The beast is a Suzuki SV1000S (2005) if that's any help??

Anu suggestions as to the diagnosis?

Mucho thanks ;o)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 April 2010 19:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Have a look to see

that the throttle butterfly's are closing fully. If they don't close fully then you will get a high tick-over and not much engine braking.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
stingy5

Apr 10

stingy5 says:

well,

sounds too weird to be true.

if you lost engine braking, that would indicate no compression...plug blown out due to past bodged thread, blown head, even though you have 2 cyls, holed piston/ valve dropped through it...but you can still accelerate fine....hmmmmmm

SOOOO....

i would say yer idle speed though is shagged up, thats why no engine braking.

do they have throt position sensor and electronics on them?

RECKON YOU HAVE A BIG LEAK ON AN INTAKE:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

.you're...

very brave.( is that the word I'm looking for? )...if something exploded on my bike, I don't think I'd be riding it without a proper check over.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

sensor

05 plate, i would say fuel injection:unsure: sounds like temp sensor thought the engine was cold or throttle position sensor thought it was half open as stingy5 says. 

Reply to this Topic
ChrissyboyHurley

Jan 09

Throttle cable?

It's a possibility though if it happened while the bike was stationary it's prob something more complicated but that's where i'd start! Run it at idle and turn the handlebars - does it change the revs? if so it's likely to be your cable.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices