Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gibbsyb13

Apr 10

gibbsyb13 says:

Help for a little 'un

Hello,

I am hoping someone can please give me some advice about my first bike, I have decided that it is now time after years of dreaming that I finally get on 2 wheels :)

I have been looking at the Honda CBR125 as a starter, but what I would like to know is will this bike be suitable for a shortie??? I am only 5'1" (and a bit of a skinny runt at that!) and although I have done some research I would really love to hear any opinions as to whether this would be a suitable bike for me...

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (16 April 2010 21:52)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Eh up

I'd say a CBR125 would be okay for you. Have a sit on some bikes in a dealers and get a feel for them.

The skinny runt thing is great on a 125 - you'll get a lot more oomph than people expect purely due to your weight (or lack thereof).

Reply to this Topic
gibbsyb13

Apr 10

gibbsyb13 says:

Thanks

Hey, thanks for your response... so I went to some dealers today and tried a few bikes, the CBR 125 was perfect! not too big nor heavy.. so opps, I went ahead and bought it!:smile

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Good lad

I loved my CBR 125 - cracking little bike. Few tips:

1) keep the gear linkage well oiled. Either grease it reallllly well every month or (my preferred option) WD40 it quickly every few days. The latter is quicker and provides more consistency but it depends on if they've greased it well already as WD will try to displace grease.

2) Keep an eye on the chain. The stock chain is crap and replacement ones are usually crapper. I say crap meaning they stretch really easily. You do NOT want your chain coming off. It can be very painful. If you've not already got one, you'll need a torque wrench, two spanners (8 and 10 I think but check the manual, don't use adjustable ones, they just ruin nuts) and the appropriate size socket. Check it every week for tension as per the manual and lube it regularly or it'll chew through chains. DID do a replacement chain that lasts a lot longer but my gearbox started making a funny noise shortly after it went on and eventually broke. Not sure if they damaged it during fitting by torquing the axle nut whilst not properly engaged in gear or if the chain put extra stress on somehow. I'd doubt it was the chain itself but rather the fitting.

3) They're very sensitive to tyre pressures, especially the front. Check those every week as well. You'll be able to feel when they get low with experience.

4) The clutch cable needs oiling occasionally - about once a month if you use it in winter. Lazy man's way is to use a thin oil and squirt it down whilst pumping on the clutch but there's probs a better way.

5) If you're reaaaally light, try shoving a chain under the pillion seat to settle the rear end down a bit. Don't carry a chain in a backpack as it'll wrench your back round if you come off. 

6) Try decent petrol in it - it responded well in terms of MPG to 99 octane instead of 95. Try it for yourself and see how well you do and work out if the extra mpg or convenience is worth the extra cash. I got just enough extra out of it to mean I could fill up at weekends rather than on a Friday.

7) Look at a replacement horn. They're cack. I got one from Acumen Electronics which was cheap but only just adequate.

and finally 8) Always chain it up (at least an Oxford Hardcore chain and lock, ideally better, just make sure it fits under the pillion seat) and if you can, get a cheap alarm. Mine was £15 and was just a tilt switch, a key switch and a batter in a box. Not much, but enough to deter kids who decided to sit on it and play and draw attention. Big boy alarms may flatten the battery and there's precious little room to fit them. If you don't chain it up with something chunky, it WILL get stolen. Kids have big bolt cutters these days.

Reply to this Topic
gibbsyb13

Apr 10

gibbsyb13 says:

Good Lass actually ;)

He he, I'm actually a woman! rather than Lad:lol:

Thank you so much for all the advice, I really do appreciate it.. any advice is hugely welcome as this is my first outing into 2 wheels.

My bike will be ready in the next month to pick up, upon completion of my CBT.. With all this good weather I cannot wait to get out there!

Thanks again for making me feel so welcome and all the great advice.. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

A good lass!!

Hi nice to meet you, i'm a proud owner of a suzuki gn125 called honey. Height wise i'm only 5'4, so i know actually how you feel believe me!. Good luck, just take your time and you will be fine!(i speak from personal experience)Above all welcome to the biking world!!!!!!, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:   

Reply to this Topic
fred1021

Apr 10

fred1021 says:

welcome

welcome to biking first off and good luck with the cbt.

cbr is a great lil bike i want one but due to my hight 6'2 its a tad small i think for someone your size it would be ideal:smile

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Good Lass....

I did think about that once I posted it but hey....

If you get any problems or need advice this place is pretty good... as long as you ignore the inevitable bitching and spam.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle