Skip to content

Riding & events Riding skills video: Get Bikesafe skills sat at your desk Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding skills video: Get Bikesafe skills sat at your desk

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Riding skills video: Get Bikesafe skills sat at your desk

Devon and Cornwall Police have posted this useful taster of their Bikesafe training days, giving you a skimmed version of the core skills.   It feels good to rebuild your road riding from the ground up and if that means going slower than normal but getting your lines and road positioning spot-on, it makes for a stronger platform on which to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 April 2010 13:21)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

Spot on.

Thanks MCN (and D&C Police). Good video. You can never have too much instruction, in my opinion.

More technique videos, please.

Reply to this Topic
stevedeejay

Aug 09

stevedeejay says:

Yep

excellent,bring it on,more please :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

bikesafe

Interesting to watch video. Re. when artic was positioned ready to pull out, quite often, in my experience they will pull out anyway when they see it is a bike coming towards them as they know you will have to pull over. Guess the pedestrian should or would have been looking to see if the bike had been nearer the inside road position.  If the artic had pulled out then ypu would have had no choice. Maybe he didn't because he say that it was a police bike!! Can never learn too much!!

Reply to this Topic
Chris14

Mar 09

Chris14 says:

Good!

Good video, watched this before i went out today, and tried what it said, made a big difference, i felt more relaxed and in control of situations. Il deffo be doin bike safe in my area soon!
More of these videos please.

Reply to this Topic
Grimbeard

Mar 03

Grimbeard says:

Brilliant stuff

I did Bikesafe with the Met, operating out of the Ace Cafe, a couple of years ago and it was tremendously good advice and insight. The video here is slightly disingenuous in places. For example, towards the end they say you can see under the vehicle in front. Yes, the camera can but the rider couldn't - the rider would be looking over, around and through the windows of the vehicle in front, not under it. My fellow pedants might be put off by that sort of detail but please don't be. Bikesafe really is something every rider should do - I'm even planning to go again on my other 'bike, as I'm sure I ride it differently to the one I took on Bikesafe.

Keep it rubber side down everyone :-)

Grim

Reply to this Topic
horny955

May 07

horny955 says:

Well done

Good viewing, i did the mac course a few years back and its amazing how many bad habits you do pick up.

Im in the Thames Valley area and i notice that police force are not listed as running one of these courses?

Would be interested in getting on one.

Reply to this Topic
ShortyD

Sep 09

ShortyD says:

Bikesafe in Fife

Bikesafe is free in Fife but there is a waiting list of about a year.

Great day with good guys.

Reply to this Topic
kdt092

Jul 09

kdt092 says:

Good stuff

Can't rate this highly enough. I did a BikeSafe with Humberside police after 20 yrs away. Had a 1 to 1 day with a retired officer on his ST1300, he was no slouch! Rated me as 'potential top class' so got further training privately, took the IAM test (because they gave you a voucher on the day and the council would pay for your IAM test) and passed first time. These police riders give up their weekends to teach on BikeSafe, they are fantastic and real enthusiasts. Thinking of doing another BS just to keep fresh.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Good Stuff..

Me and a couple of mates did this course with Cheshire Police, it was a really good day, and we picked up alot of tips, i think for the sensible, grown up type of bloke, you might already employ a lot of these skills, but it just drives the point home. We were on R1's, SP2 and a gixxer thou, the Police riders where great, a good laugh and very open minded, they turned a blind eye to the cans ( we made the effort and put the baffles back in for the day!) when we got going down the country roads they didn't hang about, then when they where behind and following it did feel strange at first to be riding quickly with a police bike in your mirrors, but you soon get used to it......

Its just a pity that guys continue to ride like utter T$%T's...  If you're reading this, which i doubt you will be seeing as though its about being "sensible, mature and safe" the guy on th MV Agusta heading towards Hawes last weekend who overtook us on a lefthand bend then up into a righthander, nearl;y clipping a female walker in the process...well done you!!! you are such a legend, i bet your mates admire you!!...you're on borrowed time if you carry on riding like that..

Reply to this Topic
bagwafu

Apr 09

bagwafu says:

Yup

I did the Bikesafe out of Truro with Devon and Cornwall's finest last year. A great day, learnt loads, very worthwhile and it was free cos I lived in Cornwall at the time. Can't recommend it enough.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle