Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

paulqc

Jun 09

paulqc says:

Speeding

Hi, can anyone help?

This morning I was stopped by Plod for sppeding.  The officer was using a hand held SL700 device, and clocked me at 68mph within a 50 zone.  I had just over taken a transit van and both me and the guy who was riding behind me are certain that our speed was not above 55mph.  The officer was not interested in our argument, and insisted in giving me a ticket worth three points and £60. 

I'm not sure, but I have a vague memory of this error in recording speeds using hand held devices has been written about, and proved that there can be errors with the units.  Does anyone remember this, or have any info relating to wriggling out of this type of situation?

Thanks,   Quig.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 April 2010 11:30)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paulqc

Jun 09

paulqc says:

Blinded?

What is it that blinds you to the facts then?  I've already stated that as far as I'm aware I was indeed exceeding the speed limit, but NOT repeat NOT, by the ammount which was displayed on the machine.  So which is correct?  Two speedometer readings or one hand held speed device?  If we apply your misguided logic I could have been travelling at 34mph, and the machine would read 50.  The fact is that I was not travelling at 68mph, and this was the information the Officer used to determine the severity of penalty.  It was wrong.  As far as obligation is concerned, the Police ARE  obliged to use discression, if not them why would it be in their terms of reference for training schedules?  The use of this discression is key to good Policing, and continued respect by the Public for their efforts.  If however, they loose this ability and continue down this path, where common sence, clear judgement and effective Policing are thrown away for a device which obviously misrepresents the facts, then my respect for the Police will rapidly diminish, my interaction will be mute, as I should imagine would others, and we will exist in a Police state.  Great.  Going up to 5mph over a 50mph speed limit, on a open country road, well surfaced, and in excellent conditions is not compareable to not stopping at a red light, what world do you live in?

I consider myself to be reasonable and law abiding, my last speeding offence was eight years ago.  So I take umbridge with this latest situation, as I think any reasonable person would.

Regarding my ending comment in my previous post, this was mearly a suggestion, and I'd rather not be drawn into a discussion about your arse thanks.  But all things considered I'd refer your most recent post to my previous suggestion.  If I appear childish, it must be as a natural reaction to the comments before me, and I refuse to acknowledge my childish behaviour from a person who identifies themselves on a Public forum as 'GrumpyPixie'.  I thank you.

P.S.  See the comments by Police Sgt. Richard Weaver concerning the story in MCN titled 'Cops get stealth video bike'.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulqc

Jun 09

paulqc says:

Thanks

Yeah, I've done some digging, and it would appear that there is a desperation on the part of the Establishment, and manufactures to  prevent anyone from proving that these devices are, in certain circumstances, wholy inaccurate.

Whats frustrating is the fact that I know I was not doing the speed registered on the device.  If the Officer had given me a ticket for speeding at the actual speed (52-55mph), then despite my probable personal disghust, I would have accepted it, no questions.  I can't argue with the truth, but I have a speeding ticket for a speed which is completely inaccurate.  How can I/we accept that?  Are we to simply take everything any Officer says as true, despite the obvious lack of justice and due process?

I can't afford to take legal action, I wish I could.

Quig.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

An important point with these speed measuring instruments

which is not often appreciated:

The old type of radar gun emitted a fixed beam at a target vehicle, and many tried to "jam" the signal (CDs in windscreens etc, trying to reflect the signal). The newer ones work on pulses at a given frequency. BUT, these new devices are so unbelievably quick that by the time you've SEEN (before you've even reacted to it) what's happened, it'll have measured your speed half a dozen times. With a "thinking" time of 0.7 seconds (as reckoned to be "average"), plus your acting time, its not impossible its sensed you as you've been overtaking, hence your 68mph clocking may not be that far out.

Your only other way out is if the machine wasn't properly calibrated: you'd have to source the calibration records for it (you'd require the guns identity and possibly its serial number).

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle