Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride

The new Yamaha XTZ1200Z Tenere is a great alternative to a BMW R1200GS or Ducati Multistrada says MCN’s Trevor Franklin. Adventure special issue of MCN, on sale this Wednesday Trevor has so far covered 260km in southern France up to and over the Pyrennees, encountering snow, twisty, gravel strewn roads and more, this is what Trevor has to say: “At all times the Tenere...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 May 2010 12:16)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bob the builder

Feb 03

Yamaha should let the public ride the bike.

I certainly wouldnt buy one of their bikes online before riding it, or any bike for that matter.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Me neither

This is really a very strange way to go about selling a motorcycle - While I am sure Trev knows his bikes, no road test will ever tell me the personal things that suit MY requirements. What Yamaha need to understand is I have NEVER bought a bike without a test ride, and if I am expected to drop 13 and a half large on a ginormous off-roader I might expect the local dealer to allow me loose on a demo for at least the better part of a day. That was how I got sold a BMW in the first place. There will be so many others in the same boat that I can only conclude that Yamaha actually don't want to sell that many of them. Their pricing structure also reinforces that view. Both Beemer and Duck offer considerably more in the way of features and Beemers have cheap servicing and Ducati have extended the service intervals for the Multi. What about the Yamaha as an ownership proposition? It doesn't even LOOK special...

Reply to this Topic
scorpion1963

Jun 06

scorpion1963 says:

And the hidden gem?

It's KTM stoopid! The Adventure is an excellent all rounder.  I've just returned from cutting around Normandy and the Somme and had to laugh at the Beemers, all looking so heavy and serious.  WHERE'S THE FUN! Swooshing minor 'D' roads - no problem.  Changing surfaces - no problem.  Fast - NO PROBLEM.  So much fun I forgot my two colleagues - (Burgman - a true hero!) and Tiger - and was lost in my own world, lining up the corners, accelertaing past the traffic etc.

But keep it quiet, else it'll lose its uniqueness.  So in a way, thanks for ignoring it.

Reply to this Topic
X1Glider

Jul 09

X1Glider says:

The policy worked well for Yamaha with the V-Max, hence why they're following this process with the Tenere I guess.

No, they only did it that way for the V-Max because it is so overpriced for such a bloated beheemoth that they knew they simply couldn't populate showroom floors and expect them to move.  At the price they're going for, they can't afford to make any more than what is requested by people who actually are willing to put their money down right then and there.

Such a shame to do that to the Tenere.  Even though, in the UK, it's really expensive due to foreign treasury reasons, it seems like a great machine.  They'd sell more if they were on the floor.  As a US citizen, I've bought plenty of bikes without a test ride because it isn't done over here.  But I never would have done so without casting my eyes upon it to examine fit and finish, quality of materials, does it appear to be easily serviced and even just sitting on it to see if I like the riding posture.  At that price there's too much risk to take a leap of faith.

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

"There is another version of the bike coming out later in the year which will be able to test ride. The policy worked well for Yamaha with the V-Max, hence why they're following this process with the Tenere I guess"

So Yamaha sold more V-Max after they starting selling them online with no testride? Wan't aware of that. In that case maybe they should only sell bikes online.

Reply to this Topic
CharlieR

Feb 10

CharlieR says:

Engine configurations

Am struggling to think of a parallel twin engine that is not "inline"...

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

£13,500 for a mass produced parallel twin, you can buy a lot more for your money elsewhere. Not doubting its abilitys in anyway but its way overpriced.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

£13,500 for a mass produced parallel twin, you can buy a lot more for your money elsewhere. Not doubting its abilitys in anyway but its way overpriced.

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

I'd say it looks good for the yamaha range, comes across better than in the promo shots.

You may actually find some dealers are ordering them personally so people interested in this type of bike can get a good look at them. Shock horror why not even wait a year.

Yes it's a bit expensive, but we don't live in a cheap world anymore. Don't diss' it because you can't afford it.

Trev is smiling, that tells a good story about the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Value for money?

Looks like it will be a great commuter around London for those that will probably buy it now off the web... but a UJM for BMW/Ducati prices? I am looking at a replacement for my current steed and for this money the new fully equiped Multistrada makes as much sense and I get a test ride. By time the standard model hits the showrooms the new BMW should be out too, and the Ducati should have a years worth of reviews by owners so we should know if the the gamble with all the new tech paid off. I prefer the adventure 'style' twins, like anything I need to see this in the flesh and try it out before I could say with any certainty if it is an option. Remember the boys and girls at MCN have to be nice in their reviews otherwise they do not get asked to the press launches... ;-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices