Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha Super Tenere - World first test ride

The new Yamaha XTZ1200Z Tenere is a great alternative to a BMW R1200GS or Ducati Multistrada says MCN’s Trevor Franklin. Adventure special issue of MCN, on sale this Wednesday Trevor has so far covered 260km in southern France up to and over the Pyrennees, encountering snow, twisty, gravel strewn roads and more, this is what Trevor has to say: “At all times the Tenere...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 May 2010 12:16)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Lucky if Yam sell 2 this year

This is a Yamaha. Nothing special. It costs £13,000 but is no better than a GS - which costs about the same. Not only that, but this particular market is well populated with good bikes. The new Ducati, the KTMs, even the Triumph. Yamaha's new pricing policy is insane. All their bikes cost too much and that just hands sales to Suzuki, Kawasaki etc etc. The short-sighted policy is incredible - it totally ignores the vital money that dealerships make from servicing. If you sell 1/3 the number of bikes due to rubbish pricing, your dealers will suffer for the next 2 years as a result. Continue with this policy and dealers will just dump Yamaha and take up other brands, hastening the departure of Yam from our sparsely populated bike stores. Boring bikes for bad money... good-bye Yamaha.

Reply to this Topic
tv2000

May 10

tv2000 says:

13.500? Why buy Yamaha?

This is really crazy price. They won't sell much. Some might say that R12GS isn't modern construction, and I also expected Yamaha will show us how the modern engine powerfull should be , but there is no more power than in old boxer from BMW. Why? I expected at least 140 hp or more.

Reply to this Topic
biqiuqq

May 10

biqiuqq says:

Reply to this Topic
J1MAR1LLO

Mar 09

J1MAR1LLO says:

Ok keep your hair on, just heard select dealers will have showroom models and demo bikes will also be also be doing the rounds accross the uk.

The reason it was originally advertised as order online was because it was supposed to be released in 2011 so Yam didn't have the units available to stock showrooms. And yes the reason its expensive (or the same price as an adventurer! ;) is as one reader accurately pointed out exchange rates simple as. Rest assured other manufacturers will have 'price realignments' before the year is out.  How about you stop whinging and just go and ride one when they come out and make your own minds up.

Ps anybody not gonna buy petrol cuz its gone up 25 %? Thought not. How about less time on the keyboard and more time in the saddle forum heros.

(Boring bikes for bad money)? - lightning boy.       You ridden it?

Great Bikes - Shite Global Economy

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Super Tenere = boring

Have I ridden it? No. Is it boring? Yes. Look at the review, look at any review, see if the word "exciting" pops up. Doubtless it will have a broadly similar level of speed etc as the GS, but at least that bike comes with a full on globe trotting pedigree.

You seem eager to defend this late entrant into a crowded market - a market recently buoyed by a Ducati that really does change the game - the Ten' just appears to fill a marketing gap in an overpriced Yamaha catalogue. And what is wrong with saying that something is expensive? Am I supposed to just rush out and buy overpriced things and not complain? Wake up.

More time in the saddle? lol I ride every day and would love to be able to afford a new bike, especially one with shaft drive and a decent tank range (10ltrs more anyone... oh, that'll be the Adventure then)... but a bike that tall, weighing 261kg dry, that costs the same as the excellent opposition?? That's just not on.

I don't doubt the new Super Ten will be good, but I severely doubt that it will be great.

Reply to this Topic
Harleyman341

Oct 07

Harleyman341 says:

Super Tenere

Nothing like giving a bike a good slagging off before it is available "en masse" How many more people are going to whinge about the price and compare it to the "GS". I have had a GS, which I did 10,000 miles around Europe on, could not fault it. Afford a new one? NO WAY! I have just owned 2 x Kawasaki Versys, for £5 K an awful lot of bike for your buck, I replaced the first one with another and was going to purchase the 2010 model. Due to the same exchange rate and dealer price rises that hit the super tenere, the price had leapt and I was not also keen on a few changes big K had made. So I ignored all the crap test reports about the super Tenere's "under powered"little brother and bought an XTZ660 Tenere. Better build quality than the Kawasaki and so far 150% impressed. I ride every day, rain snow ice, the works and the Yamaha does it for me. Whilst I would have liked to buy a BMW GS800, I refuse to pay BMW prices for something made in China. BMW have "sold their soul to Satan" in an effort to compete and the drop in quality is marked. Several friends have sufferred many warranty claims with fuel control relays on GS1200's and other faults plus faults on the GS800. So why slag of the Super Ten, even if it is the same price as the Standard Beemer, if it proves to have a better build quality and less warranty problems it will be a better buy, especially if the government gets its act together and gets the UK finances back on track, then the exchange rate will bring prices down. As for the Ducati, if its reliability in the rain matches any of the other Ducatis in the UK, I sense the AA will see an increase in business. My jury is out on the Super Ten, I cant afford one, but I love my Tenere anyway. I just hope Yamaha manages to stay the course and not go to the wall, as it would be a sad day to see no more crossed tuning forks on the roads after the major contribution they have made , to making sporty and well designed motorcycles over the years!

Reply to this Topic
alanwatsini

May 10

alanwatsini says:

Super Tenere

Never mind the price what about the marketing. We all agree the price is too high for a new bike in a very competitive area of the market, but the arrogance of a company to offer it for sale on an internet ONLY basis is beyond belief. Who pays out £13,500 for a new bike/model which they can’t test ride, has no track record, purely on the words of a few journalists. No offence, but with this level of bike you need to test ride it and get that good feeling in the pit of your stomach, excitement, longing and passion, before you know where it’s right for you.

Reply to this Topic
jpooch00

Aug 09

jpooch00 says:

Yamaha can stick their arrogant attitudes up their a$$.  Screw them!

Reply to this Topic
closet

Aug 02

closet says:

World First Test Ride!

World First Test Ride? Wow - 260km is a hell of a test ride isn't it.........

Was on me jollies in the sun last month and saw pix of the Super Tenere (after having owned a 600 Tenere, XTZ660 and XTZ750 Super Ten, plus an Exup and some RDs in years gone by) and thought 'What a beauty'.

And then I saw the price.........

Looks a great bike, but back in the real world my 2007 Tuono bought brand new for £7000 (plus Akra cans) gives me so many smiles that there's no way I could ever consider parting with that plus the thick-end of ten grand for this Yam, no matter what any journo says!

Europe beckons my lovely Tuono again this July and at 13k a pop I can't see Yamaha forcing any wonga out of this Yorkshireman's tight grip........!!

Reply to this Topic
Bluntly

Sep 09

Bluntly says:

Looks like a contender...

I'd certainly consider the Super Tenere over a BMW when the time comes to change. My problem is that it might be a few years as I've only done 10,000km on my 6 month old Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX, and so far it's been faultless, and makes me smile from ear to ear, which is more than I can say for the first 10k on any of the new 3 BMWs I've owned. It's about time the Japs got seriously into the GS 1200 class of bikes (no offence to Varadero owners, but that means shaft drive). Would I order online without a test ride? NO, not a chance and I can't imagine many bikers that will, but hey, when the wannabe's have blown their hard earned there will be plenty around for the rest of us to swing a leg over and test...as well as few good bargains!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices