Skip to content

Discuss This More drivers get away with using mobiles General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > More drivers get away with using mobiles

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

More drivers get away with using mobiles

More people are getting away with using mobile phones while driving, government figures show. A new Home Office report reveals the number of fixed penalties issued for the offence fell 5% to 116,000 in 2008. But a Department for Transport survey shows the proportion of drivers using phones increased, from 1.1% to 1.4%. For van drivers the proportion rose from 2.2% to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 May 2010 14:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GHolmes81

Sep 08

GHolmes81 says:

Kick em

Just kick em if you see them, if they ring the police saying someone riding a motorbike over took me and kicked my car then you can say they was on the phone and it can be proved by phone records.

Reply to this Topic
X1Glider

Jul 09

X1Glider says:

I'm asking because I don't know.  Other than having someone standing on the corner looking for people holding a phone to their ear, how else would they know if a phone is being used?  Are they using some electronic device to detect it?  Does it know if it's on or off or being used?  What about hands free mobiles?  Does it matter?  I plan on being in the UK in August.  My helmet has built in bluetooth.  Could they bust me?

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

1.4%

of drivers use their mobile phones whilst driving. Just looking at car drivers it is a lot higher than that. Is there a way to stop it, probably not unless its an automatic 6 month ban or signal dampers are fitted to cars.

I know its dangerous just no real idea how it can be stopped.

Reply to this Topic
knives4apro

May 09

knives4apro says:

extreme

What is this about banning people for 6 months????!!!!!!!

Bloody ridiculous. Either people get head sets or get an on the spot fine by people monitoring and doing speed checks at the same time. Bobbies on the beat. with reciept books(triplicates, one for customer/felon, one for police records one for central accountabilitor/ DVLA). People will get tired of being fined every week!

We ALL have at one stage used our phones when driving and the people who do it more than mst will get caught more than most!

NO more cameras! personal friendly police officers are what is needed. they will also see any aggresive anti bike drivers aswell!

Reply to this Topic
mjf65

Feb 03

mjf65 says:

lets be honest the men at the ministry don't really give a flying f**k about drivers using mobiles. Its far too difficult to catch them because you need police out on the roads as opposed to them filling forms in to ensure that the crime figures are less than the previous year, best just stick to speed cameras eh and keep the cash rolling in or am I being cynical?

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

"I'm asking because I don't know. Other than having someone standing on the corner looking for people holding a phone to their ear, how else would they know if a phone is being used? Are they using some electronic device to detect it? Does it know if it's on or off or being used? What about hands free mobiles? Does it matter? I plan on being in the UK in August. My helmet has built in bluetooth. Could they bust me?" You can definitely detect Mobile phone signals. You can definitely link that to forward facing cameras that would show whether the driver was holding there phone to there ear. But where you would place them I don't know. The two worst offending groups in my opinion and Van drivers and young women.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

More drivers get away with using mobiles.

So the number of offenders is increasing but the number of fines issued has fallen? Either people are getting away with a ticking off or they've merely been noted by those car-counting citizens you occasionally see parked up with a 'Traffic survey' sign in the windscreen.

On any journey you'll see plenty of drivers with phones clamped to their ear but they get away with it because police patrols are so rare and it's an offence only detected by eye. In my opinion driving while distracted by the phone is more irresponsible than speeding.

You can legally use a hands-free kit. Personally I think that's too much of a distraction as well, but at least you've got two hands on the controls.

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

Tis stupid

I've never driven (or ridden) while using a mobile, i always pull over to use it or ignore it, the reason i don't is because it's dangerous, i don't mind listening to the radio or music while riding but if you're carrying out a conversation, you're not concentrating on the job at hand. I'd like to see a study of number of crashes involving a mobile in use. Notice how in reports they say "speed was a factor" how many of these crashes where caused by speed creeping up because of a distraction? In which case the speed wasn't the cause of the crash, the distraction was. Make yourselves useful guys, start cracking down on these idiots.

Reply to this Topic
BikerBookworm

Nov 09

X1Glider

to answer your question - you'll be fine.

The issue in the uk is not the use of a phone but using one, or both, of your hands whilst doing so - hands should be used to control the vehicle (and perhaps operating the indicators, which most road users over here seem to think are optional extras...).  Using a hands free kit is legal.

Hope you enjoy your visit & fingers crossed for the weather !!!!

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

mobile phones

well if Im out on my bike an RT wearing a yellow jacket VIZ  vest...I see at least a dozen EVERY trip usiing mobiles and I must say white vans and young girls the main offenders  so if thats what I see then thats what the police must see as well but then they are too busy persecuting bikers! And every trip is daily to brum and im not counting those on the motorway which is more!!!! I had one police car  pass a vehicle in the middle lane who was clearly on his phone and using his hands to emphasise,he pulled in front of him and then into my inside lane and gave me a ticket as  the number plate on my pushbike carrier had fallen off!!The mobile man just carried on!!!I saw the police look at him and I smiled when I saw them sat behind him for about a mile prior to stopping me..I thought ,,Theyve got him!!!!   huh!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices