Skip to content

General Chipped Paint Fuel Tank - Advice Needed! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Chipped Paint Fuel Tank - Advice Needed!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JWRPayne

Feb 08

JWRPayne says:

Chipped Paint Fuel Tank - Advice Needed!

I was riding to a friend's today, bit of gravel is kicked up by a car in front and clunked against the fuel tank of my brand-new black '09 Z750.

Inspection at the next service station revealed a small chip (3mm x 3mm) that's gone down to the metal of the tank. :mad:

Any advice of what to do? Can I leave it until I go home at the weekend and talk to my Kwak dealer, or should I start worrying about the potential of rusting and stuff now?

Any help is much appreciated! Can post photos if needed :smile

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 May 2010 09:50)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

chip

Hell that`s a big chip,you need to keep oxygen/humidity off it as soon as pos.Try touch up primer, if not nail polish but will have to be removed for repair,you could fill it with grease if need be.

Reply to this Topic
JWRPayne

Feb 08

JWRPayne says:

Ok...

@jaffa90 Thanks. No primer about, so I'll stick some clear nail polish on it, if I can find any. Otherwise it's going to be a slightly confusing and embarrassing visit to Boots this morning... :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is your machine still under warranty?

if it is, then you want to consult your dealer first - work carried out otherwise will probably void it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

warranty

Adie,Since when has wear and tear come under a warranty?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

jaffa90

My point is simply that if it's under warranty, the warranty will probably become null and void after any attempts at a DIY fix, that's all. 

Hope that clears things up.

Reply to this Topic
Dumptruck

Sep 07

Dumptruck says:

EH??

No primer or grease but you can find nail varnish?? you sure its not a harley?

Reply to this Topic
zak03

Sep 09

zak03 says:

paint

chips away cost about £50.00 they are great you wont even notice the repair (yellow pages)or if you are near me west midlands i know just the chap:winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

warranty

Stone chips/hail stone/road salt/grit damage don`t come under warranty unless your talking the 10 year anti/perforation warranty where your obliged to go back to the dealers with a stone chip for repair and to keep your cover.:smile

Reply to this Topic
JWRPayne

Feb 08

JWRPayne says:

Hmm...

@Dumptruck No, not a Harley (!). 'Tis the advantage of living in student housing with 5 women and 1 bloke :winkie:

@AdieR Thanks. I wasn't planning to do any of the work myself. Like you said, have a good chat with the dealer and see what they say. I was just looking for a measure of prevention in the mean time, as I won't be home for a week.

@Zak03 I'm in Bournemouth myself, so a bit far away. I'll talk to the dealer first, see what they say. But I'll keep them in mind. Cheers!

Managed to grab some clear nail polish and dabbed it over. Looks to have sealed it off. Might top it up later in the week if it gets worn or whatever.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

my OH had his 08 blade tank replaced under warranty as the finish was so bad anything that touched it chipped the paint work.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle