Skip to content

Ask an Expert shoulder check, lifesaver Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > shoulder check, lifesaver

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Jowen

Apr 10

Jowen says:

shoulder check, lifesaver

so as many people do im over thinking and wondering what the differences are between shoulder checks and lifesavers. I know a lifesaver is a final reward glance before changing direction usually in the direction your moving but what about shoulder checks when are these done? I was told when doing my cbt that it was right shoulder left indicator but on thinking about this i dont really know why i check my right shoulder.

Can anyone shed any light thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 May 2010 13:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Has

your instructor got sufficient experience in DAS training? Or has he just moved up from CBT level training?

Reason I ask is that lifesavers are sometimes over emphasised on CBT (lack of experience mostly - for some candidates, it may be their first time on the road).

Agree with Arryace  - try a different instructor / training school and see what they say.

Reply to this Topic
British0573

Aug 10

British0573 says:

I'm being told the same.....

I've got my MOD 2 on the 30th October 2010 and in the nerves thought I would check on the turn procedures. There is no doubt I am being taught to check right mirror and right lifesaver as well as left on a left hand turn! Mayday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
afccarrick

Jul 10

afccarrick says:

Are you doing your test in N. Ireland by any chance? We have a different turning procedure to the mainland.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

just like i said before

the procedure is OSMPSL

OSM stands for

O Observation

Check the position of following traffic using your mirrors.

(if you were riding on a multi lane road and you were turning left then you could do a lifesaver to the right to check a vehicle on your right wasn't trying to turn left but not on a single carraigeway)

S Signal If necessary, signal your intention to change course or speed.
M Manoeuvre
Carry out the manoeuvre - i.e. the change in speed and/or direction - if it's safe to do so.

The manoeuvre has three parts

P Position Get into the correct position in good time. This helps other road users to see what you intend to do if you are changing position then consider a lifesaver in the direction you are about to move.
S Speed Slow down as you approach a hazard. Never leave it too late.
L Look Keep looking to assess all possible dangers. You need to know the traffic situation behind as well as in front.

Reply to this Topic
gmangnall

Oct 08

gmangnall says:

shoulder check, lifesaver

Doing as many life savers as told to do in your test is plain dangerous. You should know pretty much what is around you all the time by using your mirrors. When it's time to move checking in your mirrors should confirm what you already know from the previous 30 seconds or so of riding. Taking your eyes off the road to look backwards is often enough time to find yourself impaled onto another vehicle. Granted it's not always possible to know everything around you from your mirrors and lifesavers are useful, but don't forget to keep your eyes focusses ahead as much as possible. I often see what are clearly IAM riders constantly looking over their shoulders and barely looking ahead.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

very confusing

Hopefully this simplifies it,

Shoulder check, rear observation over the shoulder (usually while stationary) such as pulling away from a kerb. Not really advisable to do when moving forward, you should be looking in the direction of travel.

Lifesaver, the last chance to check your blind spots before committing to change position, such as turning left or right, changing lanes, glance left passing exit on roundabout and especially overtaking just to make sure someone isn't beating you to it.

hope this makes sense.:smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle