Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

It’s 20 years since the launch of the first ‘hyperbike’ – Kawasaki’s awesome 173mph ZZ-R1100 which reigned world’s fastest production bike through the first half of the 1990s until usurped by new hyperbikes such as Honda’s CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and Suzuki’s Hayabusa.    But today we have a new breed of superbikes – awesomely powerful race replicas such as BMW’s S1000RR and Aprilia’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 May 2010 15:44)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Of course they are...

We don't all want to ride a bike with our knees up by our ears.  It's as daft a statement as the usual classic "Do you really need anything bigger than a 600?".  You might have more pub BHP or a lighter bike, and you just might make the end of the 2 mile runway slightly faster, but when you arrive in the south of France after 2 days of biking I know all I'll be needing with a hyperbike is a beer and not a week of traction...

Reply to this Topic
RichieRotten

Oct 05

RichieRotten says:

Depends

S1000RR & RSV4, these are track monsters, the only way to reach anything like their limits is on the track. Even a modern 600 is a track monster and to get the best it needs a track. The Hayabusa and the ZZR1400 now these are different babies for a trip to the South of France these are the toys - as long as you do no attract the attention of the law!! Therefore it depends upon usage.

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

#

Horses for courses. Bikes like the ZZR1400 are great for two up riding. They can handle the load with little effort and the passenger can share in blistering acceleration and good cornering. For solo riding, utterly pointless when you can buy a much lighter, more agile machine with all the power you need.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Deffo

More relevant than ever I'd say. Look how beautifully easy they are to ride, the new BMW in particular serves to demonstrate that 200bhp can be perfectly controlled and a pleasure to ride. Not my cup of tea perhaps, as commuting on it would be a tad insane, but if I could have a garage with a few bikes, yes, I would definitely have one of, or maybe all four of these bikes in there.

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Big power and big torque does it for me. The litre class machines are just too small and focused.

Reply to this Topic
Cad Monkey

Apr 03

Cad Monkey says:

Did an 6 hour stint through France on a GSXR750 K7 killed my back. Got a Hayabusa now great for long trips, my other half loves it . Great seating for the pillion especially as she is above average height. The additional torque is fantastic and makes two up riding far easier.

Reply to this Topic
rsvforum

Apr 09

rsvforum says:

re

Rsv4 rlz :)

Reply to this Topic
K600

May 10

K600 says:

RE:

My wife often comes out on the bike with me I would think about long trips on a modern sports bike 

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

Of Course

hyper bikes are the better machines for real world riding as stupid as it might sound they are better set up for the road sports bikes are harsh and solo machines for short blasts only. Lets ask the simple question if you had to go from glasgow to bristol what would you choose not a sports bike if you had to carry a passenger and luggage you wouldnt choose sports bike if you had to accutly ride on british roads with all the bloody holes would you pick the realy hard sports bike suspension and castrate your self on the tank or the softer but tuff enough hyperbike suspension and would you rather have a spare couple of quid in your pocket or not yes 1000cc bikes are more expensive to buy than hyperbikes gsxr1000 £10349 busa £10199 zx10r £10199 zzr1400 £9799 so better question do we really need 1000cc super sports ? yes cause all bikes are good ;)

Reply to this Topic
itrackday

Feb 04

itrackday says:

??

I'm not sure I understand the point of this test? 2 Hyperbikes up against 2 track monsters? Seems irrelevant - horses for very different courses! Keep both of them.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices