Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

It’s 20 years since the launch of the first ‘hyperbike’ – Kawasaki’s awesome 173mph ZZ-R1100 which reigned world’s fastest production bike through the first half of the 1990s until usurped by new hyperbikes such as Honda’s CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and Suzuki’s Hayabusa.    But today we have a new breed of superbikes – awesomely powerful race replicas such as BMW’s S1000RR and Aprilia’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 May 2010 15:44)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hondagixer

Aug 02

hondagixer says:

i love my gsxr and how it gets me home from work quickly.only downside is its expensive on the consumables as i use it everyday.only thing i think id buy and use for work would be the new 1250 bandit which maybe slighty cheaper to run daily.

but once youve had all the power day in and day out its very hard to go back riding anything smaller.

Reply to this Topic
michaelzrx

Apr 05

michaelzrx says:

Who cares which is fastest, any of them would just be awesome to ride.

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

hyperbikes

the world is changing do we really need `170 mph plus superbikes  the reality is caught doing over `100 mph  in b isles and its an instant ban the future is electric or gas ect the bike in mcn last week `100 mile range and 70 mph top speed  if it was 4 grand id have bought one straight away but at moment its too expensive within the next `10 years the petrol engine will be on the decline. ive owned some realy fast bikes  and done many track days but at present i have 250 cc r reg honda  cb but hey it does close to  80 mpg. the japs are investing in  alternative energy now i think i read one company hasnt brought out a new high performance bike this year  so change is coming for cars as well as m cycles ride safe all do the fast stuff on track days .

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

Yes. They are.

Reply to this Topic
Agent Z

May 08

Agent Z says:

Push the tempo

If you enjoy life on the ragged edge, these bikes are pretty much irrelevant. If you enjoy finding the limits of a bike and pushing it in the corners. If you enjoy getting on the gas as hard as possible, working the box, banging off the rev limiter etc then these are not for you. Unless of course you are happy riding at double the speed limit most of the time. I own both a Fireblade and a CB500 I know bike I consider to be relevant. In 99% of UK riding the CB500 will deliver more thrills than the Fireblade. I'm on the ragged edge more often and pushing harder then I can ever achieve on the Fireblade, without going what can only be sensibly described as dangerously fast. If all you enjoy is opening the throttle hard and hanging on whilst the front wheel claws the air [hugely enjoyable I do grant you] then hyperbikes are great, but that thrill does not last long before you look down at the speedo and go oops 1XXmph again!! I love my blade, it's awesome, I've toured all over Europe on it but 50% of its performance is redundant 99% of the time. Any bike that is designed to go fast will ultimately work best when it is going fast and these speeds you are just asking for trouble. If you are happy and able to dawdle along on your Hyperbike then cool, if you are a bit of a racer and a like to push the envelope then stay well away. Perhaps I'm just getting old!!!

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

As Mike Says

Unless you intend to use them within the law, then you have to say they have ALWAYS been irrelevent

Reply to this Topic
obsceneuk

May 09

obsceneuk says:

Agree with mike

I think bike companies should be looking at small capacity bikes, maybe a bike like a ninja 250 with a 400cc engine. Bascially something small and lightweight with decent acceleration but no silly top end speeds.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

horses for courses

if thats the bike you want

and to those who say about the speed limit and these bikes are to fast bollox 

mike have you got a bike that can break the speed limit if so dont be so hypicritical

lets ban all bikes over 15bhp and 250cc

i dont like cruisers but i dont complain about them so GET A LIFE shut up or get a volvo

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Hyperbikes

I'm 6ft 2" and 15 stone, my son always on pillion who's near the same..Big bikes with big torque make riding effortless and more pleasant. I've tried friends 600,s and 750,s which have to be caned to produce any power with all the weight on. But I love sports bikes rather than the big tourer type bikes. Take your choice, which as to be good that we have so much.

Powers not just about speed.

Reply to this Topic
davidstowe358

Jun 08

hyperdrive

I'm 6'2'' and weigh near enough 20 stone could those of you see someone like me on a 250 or an electric bike (two wheeled milk float) I don't think so, also with a pillion and luggage? NO, That's why I have a hayabusa. So yes they are very relevant today to me at least.I do have a 1997 cbr 600 f but that's just for work I wouldn't want to do many miles on it as I'm not comfy on it for long trips.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices