Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

It’s 20 years since the launch of the first ‘hyperbike’ – Kawasaki’s awesome 173mph ZZ-R1100 which reigned world’s fastest production bike through the first half of the 1990s until usurped by new hyperbikes such as Honda’s CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and Suzuki’s Hayabusa.    But today we have a new breed of superbikes – awesomely powerful race replicas such as BMW’s S1000RR and Aprilia’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (14 May 2010 15:44)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
deadloud

Aug 03

deadloud says:

Of course 'hyperbikes' are relevant. They're relevant to the people that ride them, and that's all that should count. Condemnation from anyone else is simple interference in someone elses choice.

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

HELLO

Im 8ft9 and 45 stone and I ride a bike powered by methane gas.

No they are not relevant at all. If you want a tourer, buy a tourer, if you want a sportsbike, buy a sportsbike. Saw a Hyabusa on a track day at silverstone the other week, he was getting passed on the straights by the 1000 supers and it looked dangerous in the corners, plus they are the most hideous looking two wheeled creations on plenet earth.

Plus, nobody uses their bike within the law. Thats the whole point of bikes!

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Plenet

Sorry, my mistake. I meant Planet.

However, if you say Plenet with a forced smile on your face, you sound South African, highly topical i'm sure you'll agree

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

ok

ok to all the people saying about too fast illegal answer me this how many times has a burst of acceleration saved your life ? we all know its easyer to accelerate than brake so regardless of top speed its the torque of the bike I love the acceleration and its saved my life more than once if I was riding a cb500 or some 250 I would be squashed (been there done that) and as I stated before hyperbikes love them hate them are bikes and there is enough crap from governments and goodie two shoes that we don't need to jump on the band wagon all bikes you ride are relevant and any one who slags your bike off to your face deserves a kick to the privates :P

Reply to this Topic
daveyboy79

Feb 09

daveyboy79 says:

As the Superbikes in this test are European and the Hyper bikes are Japanese, then surely the Hyper Bikes are restricted to 300kph (186mph)? Suprised no-one else has picked up on this, or are the 2 Japanese entries de-restricted? Regardless of the results, I'd rather have a Hyper Bike personally for a road rider who rides in all weathers/seasons/situations.

Reply to this Topic
Fire99

Apr 04

Fire99 says:

Is anything??

We're asking this question just after Porsche have released yet another mega-fast 911 and barely a year since Nissan released their 3.5 second 0-60 & 200mph GT-R. 

People still want mega fast vehicles that are capable of pushing the boundaries.

The question (without the sensationalism) is, Is it still as easy to use a Hyperbike on the road? The answer is No.  It's hard having a bike capable of 170mph+ and torque that allows you to fly past any speed limit in any gear virtually from any speed.

However, if I was to want to ride from London to Eastern Europe (on roads not fields), A 'busa, ZZR, Blackbird etc would still be the bike of choice. Effortless pace is not something to be underestimated.

Articles like this just put another squeeze on the already marginalised biker.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Hyperbikes

They are only relevant to those that want bragging rights. I can't see where most riders of them will ever see their speedos peg at the far end. It doesn't mean I'm not interested in them but at close to 60 years old they are really not for me. As a young rider I would have been all over them. Does this sound familiar?

Reply to this Topic
Stephan35

Mar 08

Stephan35 says:

hyperbikes

The question is not if the bikes are still relevant, the fact is that legislation and road construction did not follow evolution. It is not speed that is the issue, bad roads, bumps, ridiculous speed limits all take away attention and cause a lot more accidents than normal speed would do. banning everybody from driving faster than 5 mph is simply ridiculous and is just irrelevant. it is political incompetency that drove this country to idiocy. higher speeds, wider roads less limitations and better education will save more lives and provide for more economic growth, then being just a loud mouth idiot that wants to become a nazi by punishing the entire population for being human, using a political system that ignores avery human fact.

this country is down the drain.

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

Hyperbikes

This country's roads, traffic and laws are not relevant to hyperbikes. We must keep stretching the envelope simply because we can. We must be allowed to dream or be suffocated by health and safety nazis. 

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

Simple put - No

With congestion, road conditions, police (just look at wales police for example) & government negativity to bikes. The focus will shift to practicality within those environments. Riding since 17, for 25 years and now gone to sports tourer and next will be multi-function like the new multistrada, or update vfr to new dual-clutch vfr1200. One last point fuel costs will mean that the rise of electric & fuel cell vehicles will be the future of all transport. Doctired is right about envelope - but that needs to focus on beneficial use in real world environment -- not hyper dreams (or wet dreams), (vfr800 vtec rider)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle