Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?

It’s 20 years since the launch of the first ‘hyperbike’ – Kawasaki’s awesome 173mph ZZ-R1100 which reigned world’s fastest production bike through the first half of the 1990s until usurped by new hyperbikes such as Honda’s CBR1100XX Super Blackbird and Suzuki’s Hayabusa.    But today we have a new breed of superbikes – awesomely powerful race replicas such as BMW’s S1000RR and Aprilia’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 May 2010 15:44)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
londonbill

Apr 10

londonbill says:

Totally Irrelevant Question

Are hyper bikes irrelevant in light of the latest crop of sportsbikes ?

No.

Daft Question.

It's as daft as asking, if you had to get from Calais to St. Tropez, with a passenger and luggage, would you choose a BMWS1000RR, or a Kawasaki ZZR1400.

Reply to this Topic
boomerang919

Jul 09

boomerang919 says:

Mine is

ZZR1400.......2 up Saturday with topbox and missus, 150 miles around Poole and Bournemouth, visit friends and then a bit of shopping and then home, not hanging about but no lunacy...

6.30 this morning before the rain.....100 mile run on my own at my own speed, a ZX10R passed me at some rate of knots but I let him go........however opening up the throttle on the green (very green) machine in places where the road is long enough makes it relevant, to me, in that moment

How many bikes do I need? Virtually all I want in 1...............this hyperbike is relevant to me, I couldn't get what I want from a litre bike, or a tourer...

Reply to this Topic
MrButterscotch

Jul 09

Hyperbikes

It doesn't matter whether it's a car, a bike or a speedboat - if you're into motorised transport, then there's a possibility you're into speed.  It's not just the fact that a bike can go ridiculously fast - it's the whole package, which includes the looks, the sporty performance, the handling... so many different things go into it.  Hyper anything normally means exotic, a serious tool and well crafted.  It would be a sad day if they were ever confined just to the garage.

Reply to this Topic
scottashcockayne

Sep 06

its not the speed but the ease!!

ive got a fireblade... it does a stupid top speed.... but not in the hyberbike league!  welll not by just a couple of mph anyway!!  but compared to all my other bikes its soooooo easy to ride on the road!!  you can forget the need to cane it like a 600 just roll the throttle on and the roads disappear!!  ....big engines may give high speeds but for road riding (still with stupid fun high speeds if you want) you cant beat a big bore bike!!!  ...... to be honest they are proabably the easiest bikes to ride!!!!!  ..............  ( if you have experience!!) ......  you can be so lazy and quick at the same time... no need to have a tap dancers left foot and no need to rev to the red line!!!  ..............  to sum them up!!  ...............  perfect!!!!  as for which bike will come out tops???  its a tuffy!!  i think the BMW will do it... purely becasue it has the lightest weight ande very high power at the top of the rev range!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
jay.ducati

Jun 08

jay.ducati says:

what ever floats your boat

bumped into the man Chad (top bloke) on the Busa on the weekend, reminded me how great a large capacity sports/hyper bikes are.....as you say easiest bikes you'll ever ride...........but then i remembered why i sold my R1.......waving at speed camera vans, knee down at 80 is sure way to lose a licences......jumped back on my multistrada and was happy at just about legal speeds...may be thats just my own lack of self control...

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

Always

They are as relevant as any other bike.For me its partly the overall 'strength' and finish that is attractive, commuting long distances the fact that they are built to handle alot of power means they just shrug off high mileages. A pure sportsbike has several corners cut and comporomises to keep it ahead of the competition, a joy at the weekend but perhaps a bit wearing during the week (or I am just getting old!)

Reply to this Topic
twobike

Dec 09

twobike says:

Which is Fastest Where ?

My Guess:-

Fastest touring:- ZZR followed by Busa, (two up with luggage). 

Fasted "B" Roads:- S1000RR followed by RSV4R.

Fasted on Track:- RSV4R followed by everything else.

Easiest to ride Fast:- Sport Tourer Busa and Race Rep S1000RR.

Best Looks and Noise Aprilia RSV4R.  All the bikes are Brilliant and Relevant.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

I suppose they are...brilliant bikes for blasting across europe on, maybe a little wasted on our shores, unless you live in Scotland???  but sometimes, i find the cliche "less is more" rings true with bikes, ive had a couple of R1's, SP2 etc , all awesome bikes, loved them, the last R1, an 08 was amazing, went across europe on it a couple of times, where we were really able to use them and stretch their legs for full days at a time, fantastic...since doing those trips ive lost interest in riding at home in the UK, i found the R1 frustrating and somewhat boring riding everywhere at half throttle and not really using it for fear of ending up in jail, you only get away with it for so long eh hahahah

So ive bought a track bike, sold the R1 and bought a new Triumph Tiger 1050....what can i say, well, i'm enjoying the riding again, using more of the bikes performance more of the time....

But thats just me...each to their own as they say..

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

misleading title

The title is "Poll: Are hyperbikes still relevant today?" but actually the poll is "Which do you think will be fastest?"

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

weopons of mass destruction

To answer the question: of course they are not relevant but who cares. If you can own a Ferrari Testatosspot why can't you own one of these. Besides, they can be put to good use quartering bike thieves, burglars, rapists, drug dealers, boy bands, rappers, teen gang members, wife beaters, expense fiddling politicians and bankers. Tie a limb of the quilty to each of the four and then nail each of them in opposite directions. Ahh happy days!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices