Skip to content

Discuss This New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost

Triumph’s new Sprint GT has more power and torque than the old ST, and will be one of the best value tourers on the market when it goes on sale in three weeks. Details just released by Triumph reveal the 1050cc GT – standing for Grand Tourer – will have ABS and panniers as standard, and cost £9499 – that’s £2576...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 May 2010 14:51)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

Very Cunning

A lesson in how to get rid of an old model with only a few minor changes before an entirely new bike is released in 2011. Anyone who buys one of these updated relics will be kicking themselves in the new year.

Reply to this Topic
jallen

Aug 02

jallen says:

Probably okay

This just reminds me of the desperate attempts by Rover to facelift the aged Rover 200 etc. They really need to come up with something actually new.

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

A Few Have Agreed

I still prefer the previous model - which came with free panniers fitted for a period of time. im tepted by the older one... that or a GSX-R750 hahaha

Reply to this Topic
GrasstrackForever

Nov 09

So Triumph release a new Sprint GT model that is exactly the same as the current ST except add panniers, side mounted exhaust and increase bhp and torque by a small % - and all of a sudden people are praising Triumph? Christ if Honda done the same with the VFR800 they would have got slated. The VFR12 is a fantastic machine albeit the tank range is suspect for a tourer. They drink like a fish when being run in (up to 1000 miles really) but after that get better. I'm currently getting 140-150 and this is increasing with mileage. Sorry Triumph but must try harder in my book.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

nothing special

well imho it looks alarmingly  like a ducati st3/st4 which went out of production some years ago. I just hope they have a more modern approach to quality control. It is amazing how much happy owners are prepared to put up with, which you never experience on a jap bike. When they do eventually address this problem they will become a force to be reckoned with.

Reply to this Topic
bigsiwilson

Sep 07

bigsiwilson says:

I also agree with DoctorFrank, on my 54'000 mile 08 plate ST i have lost count of the headlamp bulbs i have gone through and had 2 pairs of discs replace due to warping. Can't comment on paint i'm afraid, but can comment on the new owners/managers of my local dealer. Since the outgoing general manager has gone everything he said and promised has been wiped off the board apparently and the new GM couldn't give a toss and therefore failed, plus he sounds like a right little hitler to boot. My local Triumph dealer will not be seeing my custom again neither will Triumph (probably), which is a shame as the engine is great! Shame about the gear changing...

Reply to this Topic
Seahorse

May 10

Seahorse says:

So, what's happening with the ST then, this does not appear to be a replacement.  I have had no issues with my gorgeous Black 2009 SPrint, just to counter some of the negatives listed below...

Reply to this Topic
rjboese66

Jan 05

rjboese66 says:

There are quite a few people here knocking the ST, but I guess if you have something to moan about you are more likely to post a comment.  Here's some balance then... I love my ST.  Brilliant engine and I get great mileage, always just over 200 miles a tank and never use oil.  I changed the bulbs and didn't quite put the panels back together so now I have a little rattle.  No other issues at all.

Triumph have produced sensible mods to make the GT more touring biased with a bit more power to handle the extra weight.  I know it's a 5 year old design but it looked great in 2005 and still does.  That's simple elegance for you - you don't have to let fashion rule your life.

As for the VFR.  Maybe Honda are looking to add definition to a new style of bike.  It focusses on what us 40-50 somethings actually do on a bike - short commutes and weekend riding, arriving in style and not in pain and to be honest not going that far either.  Maybe we just don't want to admit it could be just what we need.

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

new Triumph

surprised by the amount of negative comments, seems to be the old anglo-american inferiority complex - ie if something (vfr1200) comes from 2 islands over in Asia and is built by Asian robots it is somehow better just because of these facts.
i think this is a very stylish, sensibly priced, and will be a capable motorbike (should have similar performance to the Honda despite less power as it isnt the weight of a tank). it might not be a brand new design, but evolution is better than revolution as for as bikes are concerned - as proved by the flawed Honda big fat ugly pig vfr1200.

Reply to this Topic
trophyian

May 10

trophyian says:

Not enough to get me excited..sorry.

I own a 2005 plate ST and love it..but it is getting as bit long in the tooth now. I am still waiting the Trophy replacement..will it ever happen I ask myself? Looks like i need to wait a while as the new Sprint offering really does not in my view improve what i already have...ok maybe the lights are better  not difficult to achieve). The lights on mine are weak....try flcking into a right hand bend on a dark night and the cut off is abrupt..and almost dangerous. Main beam..forget it!

Side slung exhaust..why? It looks like any japanese rice burner bike now. New panniers..well mine have been fine..and water tight, purely a cosmetic change..again in my view. I will give it the benefit of a test ride though. The only issues i have had with mine mostly relate to the Datatool Veto Evo Alarm system which flattened batteries in days unless on trickle charge. Finish has been good...no problems. It is a great all pupose bike no doubt., but will hang on a for another couple of years b4 changing for a new Triumph.

ps Even without hanging about i regularly get over 180 plus mp tank.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle