Skip to content

Discuss This New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

New 2010 Triumph Sprint GT gets power and torque boost

Triumph’s new Sprint GT has more power and torque than the old ST, and will be one of the best value tourers on the market when it goes on sale in three weeks. Details just released by Triumph reveal the 1050cc GT – standing for Grand Tourer – will have ABS and panniers as standard, and cost £9499 – that’s £2576...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 May 2010 14:51)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Just hold your breath and bend over when you get to the 24K service.

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

REVOLUTION NOT EVOLUTION

merv007 I am surprised to read that you are surprised by the negative comments on the Triumph as the majority of blogs here tend to be deprecating. That you find it stylish I am delighted for you, however, I view it as a fairly old looking style but that is my personal viewpoint which does not make it anything less than a very competent bike. The VFR in your words is a tank , however having ridden the VFR I can honestly say it one of the finest tanks in its genre that I have ever ridden. Revolution is far better than evolution as it brings new, exciting and quite often bold designs and it makes us think outside of the box, a case in point was the original R1 which totally blew away all that went before it. So to summarise beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is uncommonly rare to be able to buy a top quality machine for a bargain basement price, which is more the pity. Ciao

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Disappointed

I like many different Triumph bikes very much.  Perhaps I'm disappointed because they made the ST into the opposite of what I was looking for.

My R1100S is long in the tooth but it weighs 50 lbs less wet, has a 2" shorter wheelbase, fully adjustable suspension and the undertail exhaust that really cleans up the visual lines.  My BMW may put out 40 less HP, but the weight and handling advantage means I'm keeping it a little longer.  7000 mile trips are easy enough on it and I get 45 mpg consistently even when I'm being a bastard on it.  It still can drag the head covers when the road turns to spaghetti due to being able to adjust the suspension to my weight and riding style.  And the bags are spacious enough to carry 2 weeks worth of clothes and still have room to carry a few bottles of vino back home from the vineyards.

I was really looking forward to adding a Sprint in my garage but not until it becomes more sporting oriented.  They need to get it down close to 500 lbs, add fully adjustable suspension, radial ABS brakes and put the unsightly exhaust under the seat and between the bags out of sight.  The one on my BMW doesn't get hot, even with the cat, so there's no reason it should be an issue on the Triumph either.  As old as the drivetrain platform is, I'll likely wait for a new design.  It's time for a change and I'm still waiting.

Reply to this Topic
ginz

Dec 04

ginz says:

Phew,   you lot are hard to please.

The previous model was a VFR 800 and 1200 beater and it just got better !!

I rode the VFR 1200 and found it just did not cut it, too heavy too expensive and too short on VALUE.

I owned 2 VFR 8oo's and they just need a decent engine.

Then along comes the 1050 ST. . . all sorted in one package that just got better. . It's on my list.

Gone is the high back end, more power, more torque etc.

Reply to this Topic
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

Not there yet

The addition of three horsepower will certainly be offset by the fact that it gained 60 lbs. overall.  How did they make it so heavy?  The tank is the same size, the main frame is a carryover from the ST, as is the engine.  That must be some robust swinging arm and rear subframe.  Does it come with an uprated clutch?

I agree with X2glider.  I'm keeping my R1150RSA for a bit longer.  I want 17 inch wheels, no more than 550 lbs., shaft drive, and hard bags.  

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

mpg

Will be intresting to see what mpg you get from it.....also what it's like to ride and handles but most importantly how the headlight beam is,as the ST got some stick for the lack of beam.

Reply to this Topic
kiwikeith

Nov 05

kiwikeith says:

Triumph SPLINT

IT"S A DOG!! end of story!!

Reply to this Topic
mattof

Aug 02

mattof says:

It's 6KG heavier than the old ABS model, like for like. The old ST was quoted at 213kg DRY, without luggage. The GT has an 80mm longer swingarm, different silencer, shock adjuster, fixed brackets for luggage and topbox etc. Think about it - it couldn't be much heavier, could it? The engine, frame, wheels, front end, instruments, etc are all the same. Sorry X2, you can't compare your R1100 with the GT. It's got nearly 50% more power! I had a 900SS and traded it for my current Speed Triple and believe me 50hp more is A LOT, even accounting for 50lb more weight. And you can't have the exhaust under the seat and make the back end acceptably low for pillions and luggage - just look at the old ST! If like me, you're not a big fan of fours, then what else is there which can handle regular pillion riding, blasts to the Alps and good fast B road lunacy? That Triumph 1050 triple motor is a beauty - I've ordered my GT on Monday and I can't wait to get it.

Reply to this Topic
clive.king

Jul 07

clive.king says:

Disappointed Tiger Owner

It seems a shame that bikes like the ST and now this new GT have an edge of 'Old Sports Bike' about them. I have a Tiger 1050 and I brought it because I'm 6'4" with 35" inside leg. However, I would have liked a sports bike. I was hoping for a 1050 ST that could perform like the tiger with another 20hp and not make me look like a giant on a monkey bike. Does it seem strange that in a world where people in the west are getting bigger (not just fatter, but taller) everything is getting smaller?

Reply to this Topic
deafdave

Oct 09

deafdave says:

still boring.

triumph GT r still bored n same wiv little more power, well done......not. is look deffo same from old 1 n nothing gd at make big different.

so make a triumph over 1000cc daytona again superbike 1000cc like 675 again 600!!?? please! so why not?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices