Skip to content

Discuss This MCN launches iPhone ride tracker General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN launches iPhone ride tracker

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN launches iPhone ride tracker

MCN has created the ultimate pocket Apple iPhone application for all motorcyclists to use to track their ride. The MCN Ride Logger, which launched  this afternoon, uses the same GPS technology seen in many professional datalogger systems to record your location, speed, acceleration and braking continuously through any ride. Click here to buy the MCN Iphone app (requires itunes) Email contact for app help and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 May 2010 16:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nomad GSA

Aug 07

Nomad GSA says:

iPHONE logger - be waed!!!

iPhone bike data logger - don't do it!!!!
Why has MCN launched this iPhone datalogger and claim it to be the best biking application ever?
Surely anyone with any sense can see that this is yet another tool that will encourage riders to speed, beat their time to work, or prove that they are faster than their mates on the same strip of road etc … even the fact that you can compare statistics with other fellow riders on ‘facebook’ will no doubt create some kind of competitiveness on our public roads – turning them into potential death-traps as if they were not already. I can see it now with people starting new ‘facebook’ groups of certain roads or routes around the country : ‘Best g-force’, ‘fastest to point B’, ‘fastest round a certain bend’ etc ….This application belongs on the track –it’s not for our roads – be responsible MCN for once please … and one last thing riders – this again is one other device like (on board bike cams) that the police will use in court as evidence that you were speeding – not just once – but they will have a record of your entire journey or journeys, you could end up loosing your licence in one go! - You have been warned…

Reply to this Topic
Nomad GSA

Aug 07

Nomad GSA says:

my last comment was meant to read BE WARNED!

Reply to this Topic
marzydj

Aug 09

marzydj says:

Calm down, dear

It's only an app!! Reading these comments you'd think that MCN have hidden a copper in our phones.  Your choice if you want to speed or whatever and your choice if you record it or not.  Video or iphone. You don't have to buy it!  Will it encourage me to go faster, possibly, do I need much encouragement, not really!!

Anyway used the app today and its great fun.  agree with the comments about being able to save rides to computer and lean angles etc.  All in all good fun, well done.

Reply to this Topic
ben2084

Jun 10

ben2084 says:

deleting rides?

hi is there or will there be a way to delete rides because i have one that has a top speed of 165mph and i only have a suzuki drz400 so the top speed was saved as that and i  want to delete that ride thanks

Reply to this Topic
octo

Nov 09

octo says:

App available in Ireland

Hi, I'm trying to buy the app in Ireland and iTunes says that the app is not available in Ireland. Would the app work in Ireland, and will it be available soon? Thanks, Octo

Reply to this Topic
SeanW

Aug 02

SeanW says:

answers to latest questions...

Yes, it should work in ireland, though we're not releasing it to non uk app stores just yet.

Yes, you can delete rides - go to the "all" ride list, hit "edit", then hit the delete icon next to the ride you want to delete.

Also, if you;ve recorded 165mph on a drz400 it's most likely you haven't followed the instructions within the app for where to position your phone for best results. These can also be found on the app store blurb for the app as well as here:

www.motorcyclenews.com/iphone

Reply to this Topic
mattf104

Jun 10

mattf104 says:

Updates

Just like to say this is a great app, now heres the BUT: Eats battery life. Be good if it beeped say every half hour, because if you forget its running the phone is flat in no time. Be good if you could download rides to the PC, view the maps on a bigger screen. Even works when walking the DOG :-) GREAT!!!!

Reply to this Topic
mattf104

Jun 10

mattf104 says:

battery

Just read some more of the comments. My battery must be duff, it was half gone after 1 hour.

Reply to this Topic
wyattvfr

May 10

wyattvfr says:

Works well for 4 hrs

I have just returned from S Wales.  I live in Coventry.  I data logged my journey over 4 hrs and only needed to use my power monkey when I got to Saundersfoot.  As I have said previously, the app is great fun.  I connected it to my battery for the return trip.  My progress showed only as a dotted line from Raglan onwards, occassionally turning to solid progress lines now and again.  I assume, once it could find a satellite or 2.  Same on way out of Tenby on return journey.  Still, I don't live in wales so I can handle that.  Don't know if anyone in that part of the UK has experienced the same.  I should say that I had it in my breast pocket all the way.

Other than that, no issues.  Still love using it.  Hope we will be able to upload data soon, and maybe expand its useability to include fuel, expense and trip functionality in future.  I know that this isn't what it was designed for but, like most, I always want more.  Cheers MCN.:smile

Paul

Reply to this Topic
SeanW

Aug 02

SeanW says:

dotted lines/breast pocket

Thanks for the feedback wyattvfr - it highlights something we need to make clearer to anyone using the app.

Jacket breast pocket is not one of the locations we recommend to place your phone to get continuous and accurate datalogging. The full list of recommended locations is in the info section on the "ride has started" screen (also on app store and on teh app help page on this site) , but in summary it works much more reliably if placed in the top of a rucksack, tankbag, bum bag etc than it does in a jacket pocket.

So far everyone I've come across who has said eg "top speed is out" has not been following the instructions with respect to the recommended locations for the phone.

I'm guessing some buyers might have skipped this part of the insructions in their eagreness to use the app, so we're going to make the info much harder to miss in the next release...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices