Skip to content

Discuss This MCN launches iPhone ride tracker General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN launches iPhone ride tracker

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN launches iPhone ride tracker

MCN has created the ultimate pocket Apple iPhone application for all motorcyclists to use to track their ride. The MCN Ride Logger, which launched  this afternoon, uses the same GPS technology seen in many professional datalogger systems to record your location, speed, acceleration and braking continuously through any ride. Click here to buy the MCN Iphone app (requires itunes) Email contact for app help and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 May 2010 16:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dtovee

Feb 10

dtovee says:

Missing two features... at least

I don't have an iPhone but I think like other people have suggested a panic button to clear the recorded history so it can't be used as evidence....

I think it would be useful if it could also record from the camera so when the vehicle knocks you off your bike you have evidence about your speed an position.

Sorry I don't have an iPhone but can this app run along side the gps software as I heard it can only run one app at a time, if so is this going to be available on the android which can multi-task as far as I am aware.

Reply to this Topic
wyattvfr

May 10

wyattvfr says:

Onboard power solution

Regarding a power charging solution asked by BARBARY.  I use an acumate battery optimiser which comes with a battery lead for plugging the optimiser into. I recently purchased a lead from MOTRAX for £10.00 which has the same connector to the battery lead and a cigarette 12v socket on the other end.  I can now plug in the iPhone using my GRIFFIN double USB mobile charger, also £10.00.

As a tourer, power was an essential issue for me.  I also have a Power Monkey which can be charged from the socket, at the same time...JUST REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT WHEN YOU STOP.  Still, fun way to learn how to bump-start a VFR800:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wyattvfr

May 10

wyattvfr says:

Great App, no need to break the law

Many thanks MCN.  This is a superb app.  I have used it on a few of my favourite routes.  I then review the data and work out where I could have improved, all done within the law as I am currently training for my I.A.M certificate.  I recently did a race school at Silverstone and would have loved to have had this with me.  I'll be returning before the end of the year and will be able to make very good use of this app.

I have already reviewed it in the app store, but could I ask if there are plans to enhance the data features.  I use VEHCAL for fuel and expenses whilst touring.  Integrating such features into this app would just be great and I think would increase the appeal and useability of it.  Just my opinion.  Hey, if not, so what.  Really great app.

Paul

Reply to this Topic
buzznuts

May 07

buzznuts says:

Condemning Evidence.....

All those who state this may condemn you if caught surely the fact that you have either been stopped/caught or indeed caused an accident would already have you infront of the magistartes and condemned  with or without the help of the mcn iphone app. And unless you have given the very fine men in thiere uniforms reason to stop and search you then they should not be looking at or indeed on your phone simple's! Also u can put a lock on your phone so only you may access and view it. So why the concern? 

Reply to this Topic
TrplGrl

May 10

TrplGrl says:

WHY???

Is this gone from the App Store now??

Reply to this Topic
youngbull1980

Oct 06

Nice !!

Nice app, brought and tested it yesterday in a hire car. I'm currently in Shetland on work so dont have the bike with me. but tested it anyway, i have little or no phone signal while up here but was very surpised that it recorded every second of the journey :)

Only a couple of things i've noticed.

1. Top Speed seems to be 7-12MPH slower

2. Export to Google Earth would be nice

3. compare the same route, would be a nice extra for the next version.

Reply to this Topic
SeanW

Aug 02

SeanW says:

Thanks for continued feedback

A couple of comments in response to some of the points being raised.

The app is currently only on sale in UK, but we expect to release to other international markets soon.

Quite a few people have commented about the top speed under-reading. I think these fall into two main categories:

1. If you are comparing your bike's speedo reading with the app's speed reading, the speedo will always read higher - by up to 15mph at very high speeds. This is because all bike speedos are built inaccurate. They always over read, and the amount of the error gets higher the faster you go.

2. If you haven't put the phone in one of the locations recommended in the instructions the app may end up  taking fewer readings of your speed in any given period, and the averaging process it uses to eliminate bad data may mean an absolute speed peak that may only have been held for a second or two may end up being slightly "flattened out". Following the instructions to experiment with different locations for the phone should eliminate this behaviour, as well as ensuring every trip gets fully recorded.

A few people have referrred to being places where there is no phone signal - and the app still working. This is becasue it uses GPS satellites not phone masts to determine your location, so the local phone signal strength has absoutely zero effect on the app's performance. Anything that compromises a GPS signal will affect it of course - eg riding through dense forest, or in a deep valley, in certain weather conditions or if you stop the phone from "seeing" the sky eg putting it in one of the non-recommneded locations that we list for the app.

Anyway, keep posting, and glad to see that so many poeple are enjoying the app as much as we enjoyed making it.

Reply to this Topic
djer73

Sep 04

djer73 says:

Any plans for an android app????

Reply to this Topic
dexta

May 10

dexta says:

Why ONLY v3.1.3 - this makes no sense!

There is no point that this useful application only supports iPhones with software version 3.1.3 or higher. Remember MCN, you leave out all the potential customers who have performed a Jailbreak/Unlock on their iPhones as this procedure only apply's to iPhones with software version 3.1.2 or lower...thats an huge amount of lost business - remember this when your app goes global! Please look into this MCN, it is just a simple software check done by app. Thank you!

Reply to this Topic
NSleigh

May 10

NSleigh says:

Why ONLY v3.1.3

I agree, why is this 3.1.3 only - as can't see any technical reason why this won't work with 3.1.2. Please allow this to work on 3.1.2 so I can buy it. Thanks.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle