Skip to content

Ask an Expert Kawasaki engine compatability? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Kawasaki engine compatability?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Lanos

May 07

Lanos says:

Kawasaki engine compatability?

Hi guys,

I have a Kawasaki ZX6r G2 model.  Question is, is the Kawasaki J1 engine compatible with my G2?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 May 2010 13:40)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Compatible?

What do you mean by compatible? Do you want to put a J1 engine into a G2 frame? If so, I'm fairly sure that the answer is "No, it's not a straight swap"

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

cost

Lots of manufacturers updates engine internals etc between models and match ECU and exhaust etc to the new engine.

As Lil'red says even if the cases etc are the same so theoretically will go in a frame the cost involved matching all of the ancillaries to the new engine would make it cheaper to change the bike.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
Lanos

May 07

Lanos says:

Kawasaki J1 engine into G2 Model?

Thanks for the replies.  I bought an engine for my Kawasaki G2 model bike and sent it straight to my mechanic who after fitting it had trouble getting it fired up as there was a lack of power going to all the coils. He then found on closer inspection it was a J1 model engine!  I have emailed the company i bought it from and they have said yes you can put a J1 engine into a G2 bike.  Any more ideas of what needs to be done to get full power?  Thanks again guys.

Lanos

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

#

Don't want to sound discouraging or negative, but some people will tell you anything in order to get a sale/your money. No doubt you got it from a breaker--how much do they really know and how far can you trust their honesty? Have they made a mistake and are covering it? You have some hard questions to consider here. As has been mentioned above, if you keep the engine you may need another ECU and other parts which will cost---consider the worst case scenario, do some rough costing and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion regarding the engine changover. Sorry I cannot help further, but at a guess, are you prepared to possibly double your costs so far, apart from time? You now have a 'project,' not just an engine swop.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

he is

having trouble starting it for all of the above reasons, the new engine may well have totally diff cam timing, static timing and dwell angles which are not mapped in your ECU. Also your wiring loom may not be totally compatible with pick up coils/sensors etc. As m'man says by keeping this engine and not rejecting it within you warranty period you now have a project. As a minimum you will need the ecu for that engine and wiring loom as pin no's at the ecu may well be diff.

If you are within your warranty period reject it and source the right one for your bike

Good luck

Tom

Reply to this Topic
Lanos

May 07

Lanos says:

Kawasaki J1 engine for G2 model more trouble....

Thanks for your informative replies.  It seems apparent that it's more trouble than it's worth with this engine change over.  I'm going to have to either sell the engine or ask the breakers if they'd do a straight swap with a G2 model engine.

Thanks lanos

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices