Skip to content

Ask an Expert ZX6r 636 2002 Battery keeps dischaging - HELP!!! Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > ZX6r 636 2002 Battery keeps dischaging - HELP!!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

StuHarris

May 10

StuHarris says:

ZX6r 636 2002 Battery keeps dischaging - HELP!!!

I have a 2002 ZX6R 636.

I bought it a few months ago and its always run fine. It has no alarm fitted.

10 days ago I noticed that the right indicator was flashing faster than the left which I have been told is a sign of a dying battery.

Then, overnight, the battery discharged and couldn't be saved by putting it on charge overnight.

I decided to buy a new battery and the bike started first time and ran well for a week, although the indicator still flashed quickly.

Yesterday the bike refused to start again - no power at all. I had ridden it the previous day for 2 hours.

I have tried to charge the battery again today but the battery is completely dead again.

Its parked away from my house so cant put it on an optimiser. I also don't have a device for testing the power!

Please help, I have no idea what to do now.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 May 2010 18:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Testing

You need to get the engine started and somehow measure the voltage across the battery at a fast tickover. If you haven't got 14.2 - 14.5 volts, the charging system isn't working.
Doing this first might just have saved you the cost of a new battery.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

parasitic current draw

is one possibility (a cheap clamp meter will show power draw).

Is your alternator charging properly?

Have you checked your reg/rec?

Have a look for any loose, broken or damaged wires and any loose plugs.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Not charging.

Check the connector between the alternator and the regulator/rectifier for signs of burning.

Re. the indicator, if the bulb blows in a rear indicator the front one on the same side will flash faster, and vice versa. An incorrect bulb my have a similar effect.

Reply to this Topic
skittles6969

Jul 08

skittles6969 says:

Ditto

James is spot on with the reg/rec. Had this problem on a zzr600. The burning is very common. I also had a problem with the ignition connector, which was a bitch to find! Go through the whole bike and disconnect every connector and check them for burning. It's better to replace them than clean them up.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices