Skip to content

Discuss This Speed cameras inaccurate in cold weather? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Speed cameras inaccurate in cold weather?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Sharpe  says:

Speed cameras inaccurate in cold weather?

Motorcyclists caught speeding during the cold snap earlier this year could soon have grounds to appeal, after car driver Andrew Fowler embarked on a landmark case to prove the readings from Gatsos could be wrong in sub-zero temperatures. Fowler, 48, was clocked doing 41mph in a 30mph zone in Cambridge in February last year, but was sure his speedometer was reading...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 May 2010 12:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Clocks

At just five degrees below, I'd be rather surprised to see the internal clock be that far out.  Try putting your digital watch outside when it's that cold (I wouldn't recommend putting it in a freezer at -18) for a few hours, it's not going to lose many seconds.

Granted, if the internal clock was slow, it would make the distance apparently travelled between two flashes look greater.  But it would have to be operating a lot slower to make 30 mph look more like 40 mph.

In fact, you'd have to expect your digital watch, or the digital clock on a bike/car for that matter, to lose 10 minutes every 40 minutes.  Anyone notice their bike/car clock lose that much time over winter?

For that matter, the digital speedometer on the bike is just measuring distance in a given time and making calculations.  If anyone was hardy enough to ride in -5 degree weather, the clocks would have showed 30mph when actually doing 40mph.  Anyone notice anything like that?

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Just A Thought !

Surely the first flash taking place is proof enough of speeding? And the second flash is to fix the speed !Whether the second flash is delayed by sub-zero temperatures or not an offence has taken place.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Flash

I wondered about that too, Steven.Hood, but the argument would probably be that if the timing of the flash was out, the timing mechanism of the detector that initiated the flash would also be out!

Reply to this Topic
cockyjocky

May 10

cockyjocky says:

What a load of rubbish!

Capacitors not holding charge???? He's talking out of his ar$e!

Gatso cameras will work regardless of any temperature we are likely to encounter in this country. FFS, Gatso cameras are in use in places like Norway and Sweden without any problems.

Grow some balls and admit you were speeding you idiot!

Reply to this Topic
Sedgepeat

May 10

Sedgepeat says:

No rubbish

Simple fact is that like your speedo, no camera can see accident causes and physics would not support the idea that to go above any number will cause an accident any more than not to won't. So the debate is academic. These things cannot stop one single accident. Why aren't they built and installed just for cost if its all about saving lives? Follow the money!

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Well...

Good ole expansion and contraction eh?

They should simply admit that speed cameras haven't saved any lives and have been a massive failure as far as road safety is concerned. Between cameras and bloody speed humps I just don't know where these idiots get their ideas anymore...

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Loop Hole

I think the case won't be so much about the accuracy of the reading, as if I remember correctly Gatsos perform two speed checks.The first is a radar which measures the doplar shift in the returning signal the second is distance travelled. I guess both of these could be effected by issues with the timing depending how the doplar shift is measured, the the capacitor would be a red herring. Now the defence is more likely to be simply that the equipment is not being operated in accordance with the manufacturers instruction. This isn't about whether you were speeding it's about whether the gatso can be used in evidence

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

not again

this isnt the first time MCN has suggested everyones points will be removed it didn't happen last time.

the Gatso was invented in the netherlands in winter they get freezing temperatures the system and componenets used will have a working temperature range it would have been very short sited if this didn't include sub-zero temps.

IMO anyone caught speeding on their bike when it is -5 deserves a medal!!!

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Wouldnt be the first time a scamera has been innacurate/ faulty. Trouble is they refuse to give you the evidence when asked. You`re either guilty or more guilty.

So many test cases have failed in the way scameras are used illegally, against human rights and against the principles of UK Law (Innoocent until proven guilty) against all logic and reason. Because they are way too much of an earner for governments !

When big money comes into play, the laws of this land become all irrelevant.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

killahrat:

Given you're an "expert in physics", I'd be most interested in hearing you make an explanation of how you find "that makes perfect sense to me" 

Please detail your reasoning.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices