Skip to content

Riding & events Riding skills: Decreasing radius bends Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding skills: Decreasing radius bends

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Riding skills: Decreasing radius bends

Also known in-helmet as the shit-shit-shit-shit-shit bend, the decreasing radius corner isn’t a problem to be tackled in isolation – it’s a test of the fundamentals of your riding skills, namely looking ahead, reading the vanishing point and steering a planned line. If you get a scare from a turn that tightens up, don’t worry about making a special effort to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 May 2010 14:16)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TheWookie

Feb 10

TheWookie says:

I laughed my ass off at the opening line of this article....

Reply to this Topic
stevedeejay

Aug 09

stevedeejay says:

Aye mate

me too...describes the feelin perfectly :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Scarey corners

Everyone has had a shit shit shit shit shit corner, usualy happens when you get brave and decide to take a corner you dont know fast, only to discover that round that hedge row, the corner suddenly gets alot sharper, and usualy theres a van or a  tractor on the otherside of the road to put some more poo in your pants.

Reply to this Topic
mattof

Aug 02

mattof says:

Merd merd merd merd

Yes love that description. I used to love this guy in Joe Bar Team in the 80s in France. http://www.xelopolis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/joe-bar-team-101.jpg

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

subjective

I'm assuming this a one way road and not two lanes. Jeeeesus!

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Interestingly...

... No mention of the 'lock up the brakes and hope for the best' phenomenom...

I've been in this situation a few times and it's more a choice of attempt to get the hell round the corner or lock up and hope your speed vanishes quicker than your stomach.

Although locking up the wheels and hoping for the best seems a great idea I would not recommend doing so as it will prop you upright and on a straight path just like the red line. It is something you learn with time but it IS possible to lock up, shave off those miles and then fight your body back of the brakes before dipping into the corner and making it out the other end!

Generally this 'issue' pops it's head up towards the end of a ride out where the body is starting to fatigue and the mind is boggled from too much action. If you find yourself loosing concentration then it's time to back off and take it easy. Best to avoid getting into the situation in the first place. It's also mentioned but worth noting, DO NOT DRIVE LIKE AN ASS ON A ROAD YOU DON'T KNOW!

Just relax and keep the insanity and scary corner taking for roads you do know. Don't be led astray by mates taking you down 'their roads' at break-neck speeds. If at all unsure SLOW DOWN, best making it for that midday pint a little late rather than not at all!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle